Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:58 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Been wondering whether the gamecube will be able to actually be tunneled online? Well, it seems GameCube Online gaming is becoming a reality. The Warp Pipe Project started a few months ago, set out to create a working tunneling program to be run on a network PC and allow LAN compatible gamecube games to connect over the internet.

The Warp Pipe project just released the ALPHA version of its tunneling program in Windows format.

"Be advised that half frame rate was attained by two people with a fairly good connection and not much in between. Results may vary and we recommend a 256kbps upload speed. Optimization has also not taken place, so rest assured, we realize speed issues. After all this is an alpha release."-warppipe.com

Download: Warp Pipe Windows 0.1.2 (Alpha)
Homepage: http://www.warppipe.com

rank 38
Posted:
Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:17 am
quote : #2
this is so fucking ass sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait til Mario Kart now, i may even go buy Kirby Air Ride when or if i have the money Very Happy
Posted:
Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:41 pm
quote : #3
Sweet...

Zeiram_Wing
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:02 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
wow. i'm amazed some people were able to get half framerate at this stage. this is showing alot of promise.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:43 pm
quote : #5
It's kinda funny, notice I myself and this website has been saying all these games would eventually be tunneled online. I've said it over and over and over and over. I have been met with criticism on countless message boards. I had no doubts at all. If there were any game that would instill motivation to program a tunneling program for gamecube LAN enabled games, it would be none other than...Mario Kart Double Dash.

I myself will most definatly be purchasing every LAN enabled game for the cube. People knocked Kirby Air Ride, saying it was for kid's. Well throw in playing against another human being...and the game becomes fun factorx1000.(people who already own this game, and other's as well have already said this on other forums, proclaiming their need to get a BBA for their gamecubes.) I also heard the game is far more engaging than ezine sites made it out to be.
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:42 pm
quote : #6
well i gotta put Kirby on my Christmas wish list as i think i can wait for it and maybe rent it once or twice
Posted:
Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:16 pm
quote : #7
Wow!!! It just amazes me what the power of the community can do. OH YEAH BABY!!
Time to play Mario Kart Online (when it comes out....LOL)

darkjedi
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:43 pm
quote : #8
Sooooooooooo im guessing this online thing for mario is only for broadband users what rip
Posted:
Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:32 pm
quote : #9
darkjedi wrote:
Sooooooooooo im guessing this online thing for mario is only for broadband users what rip

LAN tunneling is only for broadband users.....yes....because your cube has to be on a LAN interface to use the games. Plus these games are designed to run over a LAN, a local area network. Think about all that data, all that bandwidth. They games were not optimized to run over a DSL line or a cable line even. The programmers for the warp pipe had to analyze every little packet and strip out any uneeded data to knock the BW usage down. Even for cable/dsl user's it might be cutting it close.

You could run internet connection sharing, and run it over dialup. However, the game would need 4 to 5 times the speed of upstream that your dialup line can utilize. Also it will not only be needing to upload but also download. And a standard dialup line only has about 5 kb/s of total bandwidth available to it.