1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:19 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
i got an S-Video cable for my cube, oh MAN DOES IT LOOK SWEET. Crystal Clear. I don't understand why i never got this sooner. Man they should standardize s-video and eliminate the regular video cable. S-Video makes cube look so butter crisp.
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:10 pm
quote : #2
I'm sure they would standardize it if everyone had an S-Video input on they're TV. As for me, I'm going to order one from Nintendo and have been itching to do so for a while now.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:10 pm
quote : #3
I'm thinking of getting the other cable, it plugs into the port next to the standard A/V port on the back of the cube. It's got three plugs just for video. I know my TV has them, i think it's progressive scan. PSO has the option for that, so I can't wait. Has anyone ever used this cable before?

OK, just did a search in Nintendo's online store, it's called the component cable. I have several games that support this and was gonna get it eventually. Would you recommend the s-video one over the component cable? I don't think the s-video cable supports progressive scan though...

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:31 pm
quote : #4
hmmm i have never used progressive scan before. However i just looked at some forums and people all said component video IS BETTER than S-Video.

What i got was a 3 in 1 s-video adaptor, made by the company MadCatz. It handles PS2, GC and xbox(however i will never own an xbox so that cable will never be used). S-video cable cost me 10 bux. I do own PS2 and GC. And i can have them both connected at once, running into my Pelican 5 port video switch.

I'll have to check out component video sometime, sounds interesting. Let me know how it looks once you get it.
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:26 pm
quote : #5
OK, i've also heard that it's better. But, I was thinking of getting the S-Video one because it'll also work on my N64 too, but i don't play that much except when i get the urge to play perfect dark. I'm going for the component cable. I'll tell ya about it when I get it. Although that may be a while, I've spent a lot of money in the past month or two (BBA, PSO monthly fee, keyboard for PSO, keyboard adapter for PSO, a Geforce FX for my computer..) and my mom is telling me to think this one out, do I really need it? lol I'll get it eventually, but yea, I do have to slow down with the spending.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:04 am
quote : #6
OK i have the logical solution for your situation. You can get a S-Video cable for your gamecube for use right now. Since S-Video is wayyyy better than standard video cable. SUPER CLEAR. You can get one for $8.00, now.....you said you wanted to have s-video for your n64? Well the S-video cable that works on cube works with N64 also! So you could get spend 8 bux right now, so atleast you have some level of clarity while playing PSO on cube, and then when you have more money, splurge and get the component cable for cube, and then S-Video can be moved over as primary for the N64. Smile
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:17 pm
quote : #7
Well, doing that would require spending more money than necessary... And, besides, the component cable delivers a clearer picture even if you don't enable progressive scan. Currently, the N64 is at my dad's house, on an old TV. I had to get an adapter thingy for it to go through the atenna thingy. I think it was an RF adapter. The s-video one wouldn't work on there... I think I'll just wait to get the component, but the s-video is sounding really tempting, especially for the N64... but like I said, i'd have to move it to my mom's house to take advantage of it, or move it downstair's at my dad's. I don't know if my dad's TV has s-video input on it..

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:57 pm
quote : #8
Component video is awesome.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:08 pm
quote : #9
Cool, I'm definatly getting the component cable now. I was looking through my TV manual, and although it's not an HDTV enabled TV, it still supports progressive scan--- or wait, oh no... Nintendo's site says that the cable outputs 480p mode. My TV says it'll only recieve 480i mode... Does that matter? If I get the cable will I not be able to play in progressive scan?? Or am I better off getting the cheaper S-video cable..?
Posted:
Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:52 pm
quote : #10
I hate you if you have S-Video...
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:26 pm
quote : #11
yea and you'll have to hate Satoshi even more cause he is gonna be getting a Component Cable Very Happy, which is like 10x better than S-Video even. The cable alone costs like 30-40 dollers. But its well worth it.
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:43 pm
quote : #12
i have a cheap Magnavox 19 inch TV and its like 4 years old now? i dunno but when i get a job (a good one) ill buy a nice 30 inch flat screen.
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:28 am
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
yea and you'll have to hate Satoshi even more cause he is gonna be getting a Component Cable Very Happy, which is like 10x better than S-Video even. The cable alone costs like 30-40 dollers. But its well worth it.

I dunno if I can get the component... my TV accepts.. 480i, the cable outputs 480p. I dunno if it'll work. If someone could tell me if it works or not, please do. I don't wanna spend more money than I have to.
Posted:
Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:32 pm
quote : #14
I don't know about the i and p crap. I'm in the same boat as you satoshi because my TV manual says the same thing.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
HAVOCaose
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:51 pm
quote : #15
maybe i can help out, im kinda new here but oh well... the i stands for interlaced and the p stands for progressive interlaced means that every other frame on the tv is displayed differently, like frame one all the horrizontal pixels, and the next is the vertical. Progressive means each frame has the whole picture rendered. 480 means how many pixels there are on the screen (meseared vertically i think) There are higher modes like 720p or 1080p which have much sharper pictures.
About the different cables, compostie cables (red, white, yellow) have only one cable for the video which makes it kinda fuzzy, s-video has only one cable but its devided up which results in higher picture quality than composite. Component is the highest qualtiy video game cable which splits the image into 3 different signals.
And about your 480i tv, 480i is the standard quality of broadcast cable, so you probably wont notice any quality increases by using a component instead of an svideo cable.
Once again here is the order of cable quality with 4 being the lowest and 1 the highest quality

1.Component
2.S-video
3.Composite
4.RF