Page Location: Home > Mario Kart Double Dash > Topic
martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:00 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I've read (but haven't tested it) that LAN and Warp Pipe play don't allow you to pick your characters or your kart. Apparently it's all completely random. I'm not too thrilled about this; what say you all?

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:26 pm
quote : #2
Yeah, Nintendo half-assed their LAN mode, so you can't choose characters in LAN.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:10 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
That's a shame. It doesn't cripple me too terribly since....if your good with most of the karts and characters you can just adjust and it keeps things fresh. But still after a few rounds and not being able to choose the character you really wanna be....can get a little frustrating.
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:05 pm
quote : #4
ive learned to play with every character, so doesn't effect me to much
Posted:
Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:57 pm
quote : #5
Yeah, I'm not too worried about not actually being able to play well. I agree that you should be decent enough to have fun and race well enough with any combination of characters and kart.

It's more about style and "customization," I suppose. Think about playing your favorite fighting game; picking your character is a big part of the fun, in my opinion. Or... it's like joining a forum that randomly assigns you a username and an avatar. Where's the fun in that?

I could see that they may have wanted to stop arguments between friends about who gets to be who. That is easily solved; allow people to pick the same character, just like fighting game developers realized that they needed to do.

(And please remember that I don't mean to sound too negative; I do love this game. I just feel pretty strongly about this one issue.)

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:11 am
quote : #6
It's no secret that....Nintendo fell short in some areas on double dash. It makes you wonder "what were they thinking". But you ONLY wonder this for so long when you realize. AHHHH now I get it. Its clear they had to just start chopping off features because of time constraints. The developers could have had some problems when it game to the LAN mode. Since nintendo is not a network savvy company. A deadline was probobly rearing it's ugly head...and they didn't have time to impliment a jump into the power slide or selectable character menus in multiplayer, and integrating that. it was probobly easier for them to just add a random variable in the line of code.

I don't think we would have minded if double dash was pushed back another month or 2 in order to iron out some details. Oh well I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles. (But man....no jumping on the powerslide...REALLY irritates me.)

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 am
quote : #7
I actually think the random character choosing makes sense because say you wanna be Mario but the guy in bumfuck new jersey wants to be Mario as well...doesn't it make sense that the random feature was inforced?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:28 pm
quote : #8
I personally like the random character selection. I usually change up my character / vehicle / persona inbetween each round to keep the gameplay fun and different. The randomization saves me the time. Cool