Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
Truewrestler
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Just curious why would a game like Auto Modelista, that supports online play on the PS2, not support online play on the Gamecube....? Are servers for the 3rd party games hosted by Nintendo and they haven't gotten their act together. Do these 3rd parties not have what they need to support online play on the Gamecube, etc....?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:49 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Its multiple factors here that are leading to difficulties in games becoming online compatible for the gamecube. Its Nintendo not taking any initiative to initially break into online gaming with the cube, in the beginning they were very passive about business, and were taking things slow with the gamecube. I guess you could say 'old-school' japanese business practices. So Nintendo pushed the whole GBA to GC connectivity thing, and decided it would be better for profits not to get into a online war with sony and microsoft.

This is just plain stupid and nintendo being scared. Just reciently a new president took the helm at nintendo. The gamecube has been much more active lately and in the public eye and Nintendo is much more aggressive now. Read some of the topics in the News forum for info on Nintendo's 'new' online focus, which basically was jsut announced int he last month and kinda hinted at around E3.

Not up until very very recently has any middleware been created by software developers to impliment into games. The only people who currently own the broadband or modem for the gamecube, are those who play PSO on cube. SO since nintendo hasn't been pushing it, and only a handful out of the Total Gross amount of gamecube owners own an internet capable gamecube, software developers are just leaving out online support for games.

Not only that but the broadband adaptor is rediculiously hard to find in stores. Gamestop, or Walmart is your best bet and it might only have 1 of either in stock. But honestly, a modem or a broadband adaptor for gamecube is REDICULOUSLY easy to buy. You can get it for $35.00 USD direct off the nintendo.com website. Hardly anyone realizes this. Its unbelievable.

Mario Kart Double Dash is coming out the 1st of december, it will be broadband only....i think...You can link 2 gamecubes together and play up to 8 players on 2 tv sets of a LAN setup. Nintendo is supposed to have some sort of GameSpy tunneling program implimented into the game, so you can go online. Starting this December is when GameCube Online gaming will finally get a bit of a jumpstart.

Nintendo has something in the works, and I am grateful for anything even if its just 2-3 more games, anything that can go online with cube, i'll be super excited about.
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:12 am
quote : #3
I think its up to the developers, look at neversoft, when they released thps3 they had built in a tcp stack in the game so you could play online if you had a usb network adapter, and this is say a year before the ps2 online experience is fully launched.. so in my opinion I think its up to the developers to find a way to use the hardware they are given...

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:35 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
yea i couldn't agree with you more oddball, the developers need to take advantage of the hardware thats available. Nobody is asking for a huge pay for play server where these companies host servers and what not. Just code in a simple tool that lets the gamers themselves use it as they see fit. I always thought it would be kool if they coded in a simple menu to input another gamers IP adress, and you could connect over dialup or via broadband. Its rediculiously easy to impliment, and gamers(like myself) would start up huge websites such as this, to form a community, and get gamers to find other gamers to play with. I think nintendo implimenting LAN play in the cube, in various games is genious. It gives the power to us, and we can play the games forever over the net, without relying on some central server, that could possibly come down if the company chooses to.

Console games should work like PC games, give people the options to set up their own servers, and run their own games. Its what fuels the PC gaming industry. Companies don't host PC games. USERS do. I play Aliens vs Predator 2 for the PC, and over 80% of the servers on their are Clan hosted servers. Run and set up by people. Sierra just runs a single server to manage the server listing and route IP's.