1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:56 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have noticed both mariokart and fzero GX save ghost race files to the VMU. If some sort of an uploading leaderboard ranking system were developed. Would you guys be interested in exploring this as a feature here on the website.

Dreamcast users currently have the ability to do this with a few games. using PC transfer cables and also they are able to email the files back and forth on the dreamcast, and some other methods as well.

Basically on gamecube you almost require a USB transfer cable.

It also might be a good idea to start a timesplitters 2 map archive as well for those who are registered users. I'm gonna get an FAQ up about it all just for information purposes. However, I would be willing to host onlineconsoles user created maps...for registered users, and have them in a listing.

Just wondering if these are some good ideas to start doing over here at the gamecube site sometime soon, and if people would be interested.
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:29 am
quote : #2
Definitely into it, if we can pull it off.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:47 am
quote : #3
TS2 maps! That'd be awesome, especially since my site hasn't taken off too well... Oh well, I'll help out here if I can. Once I get F-Zero and MK I also donate some ghosts.
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:55 pm
quote : #4
This is cool but like martianviking said "if we can pull it off"..... Cool Cool Cool

McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:55 pm
quote : #5
once i get a USB memory card ill be glad to donate me ghosts and maps
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:09 pm
quote : #6
maybe i just didn't read it right, but did u say that there is a VMU for the GCN? hmm, but if u got all that up i might be able to see myself buying a USB mem. card and helping out!
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:16 pm
quote : #7
That'd be cool!

What you should try doing is setting a PSO Proxy type program, so we can use it to upload our files to the OC server.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:04 pm
quote : #8
Linkooseven wrote:
That'd be cool!

What you should try doing is setting a PSO Proxy type program, so we can use it to upload our files to the OC server.

Hm.. that would be very interesting... I'll try and look into that (no guarentees at all though), dunno how hard it'll be, especially since PSOProxy is set up for the PSO Snapshot only..

Edit: UPDATE: Well, it seems to call /visualbbs/upload.cgi, which isn't there oddly enough... So it must somehow be calling it from the SEGA servers or something... Hm

Edit (again): Interesting little tidbit I found here...
<form ACTION="/cgi-bin/visualbbs/upload.cgi" ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" METHOD="post">

<input TYPE=GCFILE ACCEPT="PSO_SCREEN" NAME="gcfile">
That's in the source to this page (the JP BBS Upload Page). The most interesting part would be the ACCEPT="PSO_SCREEN", I'll have to check again, but I didn't know that that was what the mem card file was actually called... if that is so, I must try something. I'm gonna make my own page, that calls that CGI, but it has a different value for ACCEPT, and I'll see how that works. Though I have no clue how I'm supposed to do this from the computer... And I can't do it from my cube right now, seeing as how my BBA, and PSO are at my dad's house, in my other cube... However, I have uploaded two test "versions" of my idea... They can be found at http://urgn.com/satoshi/stuff/upload.html and http://urgn.com/satoshi/stuff/upload.tony.html Use either of these pages to overwrite the upload.html that's found in you psoproxy\webroot\visualbbs folder. It is currently set to upload the PSO_SYSTEM file (the PSO system file on the memcard management screen on the GC, also the smallest PSO file). If you don't feel safe doing this, change it to PSO_GUILDCARD (CAPS do matter!). Now, I am not sure whether PSOProxy will try to convert this to a .png or not... I most likely will... the upload.tony.html calls the cgi on sega's site, not sure if that matters though... If it does go throaugh, however, you'll have to find it out ST's Visual BBS... Again, I have NO CLUE if this'll work, this is just something that I whipped up in about 5 minutes, I haven't tested this yet, but I do plan on testing it soon (as soon as I get my BBA and PSO back from my dad's). Now, if someone is good at programming, they could take a look at the source code for PSOProxy (found under the files heading at http://psoproxy.sourceforge.net) and get rid of the code that encrypts it (the file) into a .png... OK, that should be good, tell me how it works... I hope this is a step forward in allowing people to upload memcard files without the use of the USB Memcard or GCS.
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:26 am
quote : #9
I'll take a look once I get home.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:05 pm
quote : #10
Satoshi don't even mess with this you'll give yourself a headache hehe. It won't work whatever your trying to tinker with. The screenshot bb and pso proxy both convert a gc file to an image. Even if you did get some other file to run through it, it would still want to convert that file to a .png file. Also mesing with the cgi won't work...there are security restrictions beyond belief.

I or someone else would have to basically code a full php upload script. Its not as much making a script that works for the gamecube files. Basically here is what we need. People would need to get a USB mem card for the gamecube. Then users could easily transfer files to the PC. Then a php file along with a form hooked up to a mysql database. Users would upload their files, and fill out a form filling in the information about their file. Such as their ghost racer time, and user name and such. The php file would set a restriction to only allow a specific file extenstion and to also sort the list by a specific variable. The variable in question would be the Time Trial final score time.

This is what needs to be done. I am gonna be starting to learn php soon so I can build this. It's sorely needed on the dreamcast website and is needed on the gc site as well.

In the meantime, I plan on setting up some sort of mailing list instead, until I can figure out the code. I think a mailing list would be a great idea to disperse files to all users that need them, in a fast and efficient manner.

We coould run...some manually run tournaments. However in the long run the goal is to get something automated set up.
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:15 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
Satoshi don't even mess with this you'll give yourself a headache hehe. It won't work whatever your trying to tinker with. The screenshot bb and pso proxy both convert a gc file to an image. Even if you did get some other file to run through it, it would still want to convert that file to a .png file. Also mesing with the cgi won't work...there are security restrictions beyond belief.

Yes, it is quite nasty... Oh well, it was worth a try anyway, I thought I could help. There's nothing wrong with trying.

Quote:
The php file would set a restriction to only allow a specific file extenstion and to also sort the list by a specific variable. The variable in question would be the Time Trial final score time.

The only extensions I've seen on GC files would be .map for TS2 maps, and .son for TS2 profiles, and, now that I think about it, .sav for Simpsons' Road Rage saves... Most files don't have extensions (PSO_SYSTEM comes to mind), in that case, the files are usually saved with one name (only allowing one save of this type per card, unlike the TS2 .map files).

Quote:
In the meantime, I plan on setting up some sort of mailing list instead, until I can figure out the code. I think a mailing list would be a great idea to disperse files to all users that need them, in a fast and efficient manner.

Theres a Yahoo group called ngcfs, located at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ngcfs/. Not sure if it's a good place for us to hang out though, as they are currently talking about trading PSO saves, though the PSO saves have been pulled down..
Posted:
Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:20 am
quote : #12
Yea the big thing I have to stress is. This site won't be used for "Single Player" game saves swaping. The content that would make a game online is something like a map, a ghost racer file, etc. Something that is considered downloadable content that would enhance the gaming experience for other users. Allowing people to add new challenges or content to their already existing game.

So "Downloadable Content" is what will be focused on.

Downloading a game save to me is nothing different than using gameshark to bypass a games features.
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:46 pm
quote : #13
Sorry joined this one quite late.
I'm one of the administrators of that community satoshi mentioned earlier.

You can not use a PSO game save unless it was created on your own memory card originally.
So far no one has been able to edit a PSO save either. And even if someone did and was to upload it to the community, it would be deleted that instant. We don't approve of that kind of stuff.

I welcome anyone who would like to join our community as we could do with more people sharing game saves. Plus we've got some of the best TS2 maps ever created.

http://www.gci.net.tc/

Hope to see you with us soon.
Laters, Dave
Posted:
Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:54 pm
quote : #14
NGC-FS if you have a 88x31 button, email it to me and I will add your link to the affiliates Smile
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:27 pm
quote : #15
Hi, I think it would be a great idea for our two sites to affiliate.
I'm not sure, but I think I have sent you the image you requested
Laters