Page Location: Home > Archive > Archive - PSO EP3 > Topic
Guntz
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:30 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
It was recently announced that the newest PSO game would be a card battle game. This was the official statement by Sega,
Quote:
"Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution" (Nintendo GameCube): "Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution" expands the "Phantasy Star Online" (PSO) universe, offering a new style of strategic combat. Combining the excitement of card collection and deck settings with team-based battle tactics, PSO Episode III allows users to chat in the lobby about status upgrades and tactics, and then journey to the planet surface to engage in strategic combat using a turn-based Card system. The game continues the story arc of the previous PSO games, as players once again become Hunters and explore the mysteries of the planet Ragol. Featuring both online and offline play, as well as multiplayer modes, PSO Episode III adds new content and players to the ever-growing PSO community.

I don't know if I like this whole card game trend. I played magic when I was younger and loved it, but ever since all the clones have been flooding the market, I've really grown to hate it. PSO was built to be a fast moving multiplayer action RPG and I fear this may cripple it. Here are some screen shots. I really hope this is just a side project and a REAL PSO sequal is fast in the works.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:34 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
yea i am not too excited about this game, honestly. I like PSO because its realtime RPG, and not turn based. I really don't like turnbased rpg's. i always looked at PSO as like a "futuristic streets of rage". Now they are giving use a turn based game? PLUS its card based. This is like a double wammy of horror. Well to me. IMHO.

I guess the good thing is that its another online game for cube. And frankly at this point i don't care what they release online for cube, jsut as long as they start getting the wheels in motion!

-Lordnikon
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:01 am
quote : #3
hmmm....

now see, here's the problem, you have a game engine, one that works, and then you rip it apart and create somthing different.

It really reminds me of lost kingdoms, in the respect that it is a card battle game. IF it was a side thing, like, 'hey you wanna card battle? cos i'm like totally bored of hacking stupid beasties' then yeah, full steam ahead, but only if it is that.

i can see this as a side thing though, a chance to pit your wits against a 'real' opponent, and possibly somthing to spend all that meseta that is steadily building up.

it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
Posted:
Mon May 19, 2003 6:00 pm
quote : #4
:

does this mean there will be a set of cards on the market that you can collect as well

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:12 am
quote : #5
I personally think that this game will be cool. It'll definatly be different than other Phantasy Star Online games, but it's almost no different than the other Phantasy Star games. They were turn-based too. I personally would like to see how ST manages to sync the whole turn-based combat in an online game, that's kinda hard to do. I'm looking forward to this game. Plus they've got a new PSO in development, plus a whole new offline Phantasy Star game.

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:54 am
quote : #6
They might sync it by making it an active turn-based system rather than a wait turn-based system. In other words, in an active system, action is still taking place while you are selecting a command while in the wait system, the game pauses for you to make a decision. I would guess that Sonic Team will make it active to avoid a pause every 10 seconds while one player chooses a move.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:20 am
quote : #7
True, that would make sense.

Suppa Buddha
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:48 pm
quote : #8
hey i'm up to try anything new.
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:28 pm
quote : #9
I'm sure it will be a good change. Hey even if you don't like it, there's still Ep. I and II.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:02 pm
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
yea i mean now that we know that its included as part of a PSO hunter's liscense to play it online, its so worth it, an extra 40-50 dollers to expand your PSO experience online....well worth it. I am definatly gonna pick it up. So you can like sit back and releax and play card revolution, or then get into some intense play in ep1