Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

This is a synopsis post cover multiple topics. I will attempt to cover them as brief as possible without letting into a huge rant. Ok, well last saturday I started in on major changes that effect future features for onlineconsoles.

The entire site was updated to version build 2.0.6 as far as the forums core code. Other mods and code remnants were also updated. Multiple new mods were added and altered. Most importantly, a complete customized profiles addition along with a complete gui redesign of user's profiles.

Specific fields for 'My Primetime', Online Games that you own, a mini blog, and a universal web instant messenger field were added to all 3 console sites. Each site also features specific information as well that would pertain to games on that console. Different information can be syndicated into various areas of the website. Such as below your avatar in forum posts. This will be implemented by administration as time goes on.

The main reason for the push to get this installed and running is the final piece to the puzzle here at onlineconsoles. The feature that will bridge the gap between posting on the game schedule and realtime game meetings. A gamer lobby will be setup on the website. users will be able to select the game they are about to go online and play, and set their game state. This works somewhat like an away message. You will appear in a lobby list where users can see that your gaming, and thus join your game if they see fit. Since this feature requires updating the profile, planetweb and pc browsers are the only ones that can utilize this, dreamkey/dreampassport browsers will not since they are incompatible with updating profiles. We still have no idea why the code refuses to allow dk/dp to update.

-

Another thing you will notice are many gui changes and fixes. namely the avatar was removed from the portal upon login to conserve loading time for the user. Also the "View Recent Posts Since You Last Visit" link from the main page and forum view was completely removed. Reasons for this are to stimulate user interaction and mental identification with each forums subject matter. At first users were skeptical, however multiple users have approached me thanking me in fact for removing the link. This is evidence to me that I was correct in my analysis of user navigation at the site.

-

Last but not least a slight personal note and then I will get to tournament discussion. Most people here know, some people don't know, that I run this website and administrate it entirely by myself. All 3 areas of onlineconsoles are run and updated by me. At the last 2 months I lost site of why I started this website and began to start scheduling regular scheduled games in succession. Cramming my schedule with games as well as meeting other's games, and also finding time to work on this website and to start my private business(I gotta start making some money.)

I realized I am not a gaming service, I originally was telling myself I should never get carried away, well I did. I can't run games and show up to so many games like I have been. Someday's ALL I would be doing is gaming. I just wanted people to be happy, and wanted people here to feel like they were able to find gamers, so I would practically play with anyone that ever asked me. In the recent weeks I have been trailing away from this. I will not be running 'regularly' guaranteed scheduled events anymore. I will still run plenty of events when it fits my schedule across each site for the games I own and am interested in.

Which brings me to the point, why did I start this website? To connect gamers and give gamers an effective communication area for playing games online. This entire website is like a central hub for gamers to find each other and game online. For the past week I have focused all of my effort into improving the websites communication features. Adding intuitive mods and enhancements to allow users to interact more at the site, and communicate with gamers better.

Which brings me to the tournaments section and my final statement. This site was designed and will be nurtured to put the power of organizing games and being creative, in YOUR CONTROL. I have the tournaments sections set in unlinked text. I will be working on them in a week or so crafting out rankings forms, submission information, tournament rule guides and primers. All this so users can run and setup their own tournaments. If a tournament has enough gamers information will be posted on the website. I will also promote tournaments and produce graphics for advertisement on this website as a featured tournament.

I will be posting massive guides and literature on how to best get in contact with gamers as well as how to run an effective proper tournament. Communication with other gamers on the website is key. It will be a long read since I will be covering a lot in those guides.

-

You will notice I made many many many changes fixes and alterations to the site. The website now is finally in a completed state. I started a major push at the start of December of 2003 to get this website finished. It is finally here. The site is done, and all major glitches have now been fixed. If you would like a complete log of the work that has been done recently on the website please visit the site updates forum.

I have been saying what I have said above for about 4 months now, "Man the site is done then I can relax and just chat and game..." You all have probably heard me rant about this over and over and over and over and over and over again in online games. Well the time is finally here. This week I will be str8 chillin. YAY for me. Time to go play some Border Down and grab a soda, I'm bushed.

(This is a global post referencinging to all of onlineconsoles.com)

rank 9
Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:17 am
quote : #2
That's amazing. Thank you for all your hard work. You've really done an amazing job Very Happy
PSO episode 1 & 2 characters (xbox): (not playing anymore)
rune HUmar: level 122
wren HUcast: level 68
Rune ver2 FOmar: level 69
DarkLink
rank 25
Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:33 am
quote : #3
It's hard to run a website...even more three sections..thanks for all your hard work you put into the website to make it better and better..You really start feeling as if you are you are not only part of a board but, of an entire community which makes this website work... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy