1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:50 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

A new version of warp pipe has been released. Version 0.3.5 is now available for download. This new version has been released on the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Linux, and BSD. The software has a new gui as well as some usefull new visual feedback on what is happening with the connection process. This version seems to not have complete support for Kirby as of yet. Look for that in the 0.4 release.

Here are the latest improvements in 0.3.5:
+New Interface: New graphical user interface.
+Auto Ping: Once you are connected to someone, the GUI will ping the other person so you can see approximately how the game will perform.
+Auto Port Forwarding: Now there is functionality so that you don't have to open ports for the UDP game traffic. This is a step to 0.4. Until then if you want to listen for connections you still have to open port 4000 TCP. This should help individuals with routers.
+Automatic NIC Selection: You don't need to select the network card (NIC) that the GameCube is on. Warp Pipe will figure that out for itself.
+Wireless Network Support: If your PC or Mac is wireless, WarpPipe will now work. However, wireless game adapters are not yet officially supported.
+Improved 1080: Avalanche Stability
+Misc Bug Fixes

The latest build 0.3.5 can be downloaded at the following URL:
http://www.warppipe.com/download/

Author's Note:
This is all fine and dandy however no mention of optimizations to the framerate has been specifically mention at the warp pipe site. I look to try this out this week to see for myself if the software plays any better than it did last time I tried it. If this software had stayed open source, I bet this would have been vastly improved by now. Also no, I will not stop complaining about warp pipe converting to a closed source project. The technology would be much farther along if it had remained open source. Because it went closed, who knows if full framerate mario kart will ever be possible with the current internet speeds. Yea, in the future when net connections double in speed as inflation occurs, we'll finally be able to play cube LAN games online at full framerate, however until then we have to wait until the meager warp pipe team makes revelations in the netcode to optimize it. So it will continue to be a slow process as far as functionality

rank 6
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:28 pm
quote : #2
anyone wanna try it out???

Link00seven
rank 18
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:46 pm
quote : #3
Sweet...

I'll try it one of these times. Give me a hollar on an IM client or email/pm.

guyver2077
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:19 pm
quote : #4
kool ive had the damn thing since it came out but havent been able to try it with anyone..

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:11 pm
quote : #5
I could never get Warp Pipe to work due to my game console hatin' router. Need to borrow my friend's BBA this weekend to try it out.

-Mytho

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:59 am
quote : #6
Nice. Time to upgrade again...
TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:08 pm
quote : #7
Alright. W00t! I got it to work, but the problem is I can't host games. I can only connect to other GameCubes.

If you have not used Warp Pipe yet, let me warn you that IT IS SLOW. On some games, you could make a sandwich before the countdown ends. Make sure you find people within your end of your country for a respectable game speed.

-Mytho

frokid879
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:56 pm
quote : #8
ya wireless! all that other stuf is good for nubish people so that means more ppl!

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:57 pm
quote : #9
I tried playing with oddball from norway....needless to say it was....SLOWWW hahaha. I guess that whole atlantic ocean really got in the way huh lolol
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:00 pm
quote : #10
so when there is a bad response time it slows down the whole game or just maked the movement of the opponent behind and skippy?

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:05 pm
quote : #11
It really hinders the FPS of the game. If you get a connection from someone in your area, chances are it'll run at nearly full speed. But if your playing someone from Norway, for example, then it's going to be slow.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:09 pm
quote : #12
If your playing from someone 2 states away...it will be dead slow. Warp pipe really doesn't work. It was released way too early. It only works against someone who is very very close to you. Otherwise, its soooooo slow....like 10 frames per second. Like mytho said you can litterally get up and make a sandwhich during the countdown.
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:30 pm
quote : #13
well tahts good cause i think me and my neighbor mite do this, in fact i can see his house now

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:48 pm
quote : #14
I played aganist a group in California and it worked reasonable well. Probably around 20-25 FPS. My friend and I are probably going to start playing MK: DD and Kirby over Warp Pipe. Should get a good ping (We live 3 miles from each other).

-Mytho

Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:42 am
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
If this software had stayed open source, I bet this would have been vastly improved by now. Also no, I will not stop complaining about warp pipe converting to a closed source project.

I agree and thank you for not being afraid to say so.

BTW, I checked out the xlink site recentlly and their gamecube lan app sounds perhaps a little more promising. In fact it is starting to sound awesome, in their message boards they even are talking about getting games to work lan cross platform possibly in the future - like ps2>gcn!!!??!!! They have way more experience than WarpPipe to say the least...

Heres the link to their site:

http://www.xboxlink.co.uk/

DS: MPH: Team Battle Anyone?, Tetris, Worms, AC
PS2: Monster Hunter!