Topic: FFXI or PSO Ep.3?

Page 1 of 2
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:37 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm in quite the dilema (sp?) right now. I've been seeing all these ads for FFXI, and after watching my friend play the PC version, I have this overwhelming desire to get FFXI and play it. However, I have also been anxiously awaiting PSO Ep.3 for quote some time. In an ideal world I'd get both, but I just don't have that kind of money. I know there's two versions of FFXI, the PC and the PS2 versions, and I'm leaning towards the PS2 one, though it is more expensive that the PC one. It costs $99 because it comes with a harddrive for the PS2. Then there's the $12.95 monthly fee to play online. Ep. 3, however, will only cost $50 and have an $8.95 monthly fee for online play. Plus, with the Ep. 3 HL, I can, once again, play Ep1 & 2 if I want to.

My reason for choosing the PS2 version of FFXI over the PC version is because I KNOW it will run on my PS2, no matter where it is. I use 3 different PCs on a regular basis though, and I don't know how well FFXI will run on all of them (or whether it'll even allow me to install it on all three PCs). With the PS2, I can just hook it up to any TV, and, as long as I have a network cable nearby, I'm set to go. I can even bring my PS2 over my friends house and play with him when he's on his computer, something I couldn't do if I had the PC version. At LAN Parties, too, I could free up a computer for someone to play FFXI on, while I use my PS2 on the TV, thus allowing everyone to play together (or I could just be evil and use my TV card, thus occupying my computer).

On PSO, I didn't have many friends, only one person I knew played it (same person that has FFXI for the PC), and I didn't make very many friends on PSO. On FFXI, I know two people that play it, plus I just feel as if there'll be a greater sense of community in FFXI, what with the whole world being open and not limited to four player games.

I'd post a poll with this too, but, um, I just don't see the option...
Posted:
Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:20 pm
quote : #2
I don't know what to tell you really. I picked PSO 3 because I really didn't like the idea of Final Fantasy XI, and I thought it looked a lot like Ever Quest (which I hate by the way). Plus, it's more economical to get PSO because of the game's smaller base price and the lower monthly fees (if you play online which I may at some future time). I like PSO a lot, but I've never tried FF XI so it's impossible for me to compare. I've only played the DC version of PSO online when it was in its prime, and I felt like the community was the best part. Everyone said hello and the experience was like no other. I made friends very quickly. But in the end, it's your choice: if you feel the FF XI community will be better go for it...I just prefer PSO.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:17 pm
quote : #3
MMORPGs.... it depends ive played a couple, but not FFXI so i cant say anything about it,

The people are usually friendly, upside is no cheating(But same with episode 3)

They both have ups and downs
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:39 am
quote : #4
im a huge pso fan so i love pso..(ever since dc) however i will get ff11 because of the hd and cuz iw ould like to play with some friends...but it wont replace pso...infact i dont see myself paying for ff11 more than 1 month

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:58 am
quote : #5
guyver2077 wrote:
im a huge pso fan so i love pso..(ever since dc) however i will get ff11 because of the hd and cuz iw ould like to play with some friends...but it wont replace pso...infact i dont see myself paying for ff11 more than 1 month

I hear ya. I just want FFXI for the hard drive. PSO is far better.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:50 am
quote : #6
Hm... The PS2 board said I should go with FFXI, and if I don't like it, cancel before the free month is over, and I still have a harddrive. The GC board said to go with PSO. lol I understand the PSO decision, cause it is PSO. There is no greater online experience than PSO that I have found so far. But I think I'm gonna be choosing FFXI... I already have two friends on it, and a third friend might also start playing (he hasn't played either PSO or FFXI, and he said to go with FFXI because it will outlast the life of the console for a long time, what with the PC version and all). Now to scrounge up some money... Well, thanks for the input and all, I'll probably still end up grabbing PSO in the near future. If not near future, I'll make sure to get it eventually.
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:29 pm
quote : #7
Well, FF XI might outlast PSO Episode 3 in terms of its online durability, but you can't play FF XI offline.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Link00seven
rank 18
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:13 pm
quote : #8
I personally would say PSO EpIII...I just think PSO EpIII is hella addictive and pretty new in terms of online gameplay. I havent seen a (decent) online carrd battler yet.

Oh well, whatever you perfer Sad

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:53 pm
quote : #9
Lunar Eclipse wrote:
Well, FF XI might outlast PSO Episode 3 in terms of its online durability, but you can't play FF XI offline.

I haven't really found much appeal to offline PSO, well, that is once I got online.
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:11 pm
quote : #10
satoshi wrote:
Lunar Eclipse wrote:

I haven't really found much appeal to offline PSO, well, that is once I got online.

Episode III is very fun and has a great story offline, unlike EpI&II. I mean, your talking to someone that hated and despised offline play since Ver.1...but I like EpIII offline.

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:21 pm
quote : #11
Yeah I felt the same way about Episode I and II offline (even though I had my bro to play with). PSO 3, however, feels like a complete game that was actually meant to be played offline because of a well developed story, in depth battle system, etc.

Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:48 am
quote : #12
I must say this game entices me, and even had me considering the 300 dollars (plus) for system, game, network adapter, keyboard, etc. After talking to friends and others in the industry, reading reviews and playing the pc version... I know it will not be a game I invest time in. Episode 3 is a whole new experience for me and a new entirely different kind of experience. Also I think 8.95 is already too much money a month (but at least I get two games for that price now).

Heres a couple quotes taken from the gamespot review that relate to my feelings on the game:

"When you go at it alone, Final Fantasy XI's combat is initially very straightforward, and even boring."

"clearly derived from EverQuest"

"There's no player-vs.-player aspect to the game currently"

"PlayOnline features another game, TetraMaster, in addition to Final Fantasy XI. Access to it costs another dollar per month on top of the $12 and change it costs per month to remain subscribed to Final Fantasy XI after your first 30 days, which are free. TetraMaster, which originated as a minigame in Final Fantasy IX, is a multiplayer card game reminiscent of Magic: The Gathering, and it can be fairly addictive. However, Final Fantasy XI could easily suck up all your spare time by itself, and it's costly enough as it is."

This last one is my main issue. The game is already slow as hell, add another slow game and you get a game that takes nearly ALL of your time if you want to advance. The dollar extra is b.s.

PSO 1 and 2 is action oriented, PSO 3 is turnbased, and it is cheaper to play both of these games online than either FF online and/or Tetra card game. I just think PSO is more balanced in the end, and EP 3 is amazing.

However, if the price of the system, game, network adapter and/or monthly fee go down, I would get it.

DS: MPH: Team Battle Anyone?, Tetris, Worms, AC
PS2: Monster Hunter!
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:50 pm
quote : #13
Very good points Nine...I agree entirely with what you're saying--you get two distinctly different games for $8.95 a month. In addition, I've always hated Everquest, so I guess I'm kind of biased against this game. However, I think most would agree that PSO is the ultimate in online console gaming to date.

Suppa Buddha
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:56 pm
quote : #14
Nine wrote:
I must say this game entices me, and even had me considering the 300 dollars (plus) for system, game, network adapter, keyboard, etc. After talking to friends and others in the industry, reading reviews and playing the pc version... I know it will not be a game I invest time in. Episode 3 is a whole new experience for me and a new entirely different kind of experience. Also I think 8.95 is already too much money a month (but at least I get two games for that price now).

Heres a couple quotes taken from the gamespot review that relate to my feelings on the game:

Quote:
"When you go at it alone, Final Fantasy XI's combat is initially very straightforward, and even boring."

I can see how it can get boring after a while but honestly I don't see how its any different from PSO's fighting system, your able to move do your damage until its dead. And its pretty much like the other FF games, you attack then wait til your able to attack again.

Quote:
"clearly derived from EverQuest"

That probaly is true seeing that the world is huge, theres people everywhere, and you get to choose race/class ect. But there are other points that make it different from EQ.

Quote:
"There's no player-vs.-player aspect to the game currently"

There is p. vs. p. out now.

Quote:
"PlayOnline features another game, TetraMaster, in addition to Final Fantasy XI. Access to it costs another dollar per month on top of the $12 and change it costs per month to remain subscribed to Final Fantasy XI after your first 30 days, which are free. TetraMaster, which originated as a minigame in Final Fantasy IX, is a multiplayer card game reminiscent of Magic: The Gathering, and it can be fairly addictive. However, Final Fantasy XI could easily suck up all your spare time by itself, and it's costly enough as it is."

Yeah I do not like this part also. Your having to pay an extra dollar to play a card game on top of the $12 which is excluding price of the extra dollar on an extra character. It is over priced I know but they do have to run 20+ servers and monitor them for cheaters/hackers ect. ect. and update them if bugs are found.

Quote:
This last one is my main issue. The game is already slow as hell, add another slow game and you get a game that takes nearly ALL of your time if you want to advance. The dollar extra is b.s.

Well if you hate long games and want to beat it right away this is not the game for you at all. You don't have to play the card game its your choice to play it or not.

Quote:
PSO 1 and 2 is action oriented, PSO 3 is turnbased, and it is cheaper to play both of these games online than either FF online and/or Tetra card game. I just think PSO is more balanced in the end, and EP 3 is amazing.

Quote:
However, if the price of the system, game, network adapter and/or monthly fee go down, I would get it.

The price does suck and it'll add up. But there are benifits to having it. For FFXI I'd have to say at least it has people actually wating the severs and all for cheaters and fixing the bugs. With the game you get the HDD too. That will be a big part of other online future games like more maps, guns, ect depending on the game. There are the free games out there that you can choose to play if you don't choose FFXI. But anyways if you don't want FFXI and still don't have a PS2 you should be able to hold out longer. I'm pretty sure they are going to release PS2s with the HDD and network adapter in the future. Whatever you feel like getting its all up to you, as you probaly know I'm for FFXI rather PSO Ep. III.
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:26 pm
quote : #15
Suppa Buddha wrote:
I'm pretty sure they are going to release PS2s with the HDD and network adapter in the future. Whatever you feel like getting its all up to you, as you probaly know I'm for FFXI rather PSO Ep. III.

Thats what im talking about. I will buy a ps2 when it goes down, comes with adaptor, etc. - perhaps not FFO though. Don't worry though there will be probaly thousands of people on FFO - (at least at first) - so you will have people to play with. But with people comes the hacking, immaturity, etc (One reason why I hope EP3 doesnt catch on! I like my good friends on PSO and don't need a bunch of idiots - lol)

Oh and btw? Have you played EP3? I must say it has the some of the slickest presentation, awesome user friendly controls and most perfect network refinement. Which brings up another reason why FFO may not be my cup of tea - Sega has the experience and proven it with the refinement on ep 3, it is a pure joy to play.Iit takes alot of trial and error and sega has seemingly mastered it - I cant wait for their next supposedly multiconsole!!! online rpg!!!)

When I was talking time consuming - I was also referring load times and just waiting - which pso has very little of compared to FFO (pc).

I know ff online has the graphics, large amount of people, depth, and other great things about it. The flashy artwork on the box, combined with the name and marketing alone and the the inclusion of the hdd will prbaly sell gazillions. But the thing is....behind all of those things lies a less than extraordinary game In My Opinion.

PSO is the opposite, less flashy graphics (well maybe not in some respects), less people, less known name, less marketing etc, but under all that the best gameplay and mature community I could ever dream of and to me thats what counts. One reason that makes EP 1 and 2 extraordianry is the fact there is nothing else like it (Which makes me wonder why sometimes?) My feelings on EP3 are nothing short of bliss. The battles are so intense! But there are no other console games that even compete with either PSO, there is no "everquest" to compare with PSO, which doesn't make me like PSO more, but in reality makes me hope for some games that can be comparable in the future - Because thy are my FAVORITE and I have so much fun.

On a side note: Even though I hate almost everything about the "Neon Green Gay Giant" console, that game True Fantasy Live looks to be a possible first contender to PSO, but since its not from Japan it will probaly suck.?.? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Nine on Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total

DS: MPH: Team Battle Anyone?, Tetris, Worms, AC
PS2: Monster Hunter!