Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:25 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Yea this game is coming out in Japan, but hey...its another actual online game for the Nintendo GameCube here. So this is huge news. Props go to user, 'Nine' for spotting this out. Chunsoft just announced that their latest RPG, Homeland, will have network support. The game will be packaged with 2 discs, one being for offline play, and the other for online play. Best of all, the game will have no online fee's.

Instead Chunsoft is planning on putting the power of control in the user's hand's. Amazing isn't it? Instead of connecting to a central server, the gamer's Nintendo GameCube becomes the server and allows other users to connect to it. Players who run the server do no interact as in-game characters. Instead they act as a sort of, administrator. They control when enemies appear and how events occur.

The capacity for a single server is 30 players. Is that cool or what? Seeing as how it will be independently run, this game could technically be run outside of Japan. We will need more details on the game to determine what, if any region restrictions are on the game. If english communication is possible, Homeland could start an internet sensation as far as communities and the cube's online capabilities.

The main character is a boy named Ruki, one day he heard a mystery voice from another world, and he was brought into this world by a girl, she is searching for a way to save her world from the wicked darkness, and they began their journey. The game uses a traditional turn based battle system, combat starts when you contact an enemy on screen, and the battles take place directly in the field. A peculiar hand liaison system is used in the game, for your party to communicate with the resident in the village.

Give the user's the means of control and they will express themselves, plain and simple. Chunsoft is thinking very very smart. Also whether this game hit's stateside or not, it means motivation for other companies to take advantage of the cube's networking capabilities. Maybe UbiSoft will take a hint with Splinter Cell 2.

rank 10
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:44 am
quote : #2
Wow, that's wonderful news! But like you said, it is too early to tell about any region restrictions. It is still a great step in taking advantage of the GameCube's online capabilities! Very Happy

McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:10 am
quote : #3
Sweeet!!!!!! Thats just plain great. I SOOOOO hope it hits stateside. And that no online fee only sweetens the deal Laughing
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:16 pm
quote : #4
McRing_Ring wrote:
Sweeet!!!!!! Thats just plain great. I SOOOOO hope it hits stateside. And that no online fee only sweetens the deal Laughing

Yup...that $8.95 for PSO is getting a little annoying for my mom....

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:22 pm
quote : #5
Oh man...I'm gonna need this game if it come to the U.S.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Link00seven
rank 18
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:57 pm
quote : #6
Interesting! I'm looking forward for more info on this.

Might import this...I mean--I need some use for that damn GCN JP mod...

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:35 am
quote : #7
Very interesting. And the prospect of it being totally user-controlled, and therefore never vulnerable to being taken offline... Yes, I like that.
Link00seven
rank 18
Posted:
Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:22 am
quote : #8
I hope it does contain some sort of Master Server (if you want to connect to it) so you can find other players. I dont know how this is going to work.

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:54 pm
quote : #9
Yeah, a master server would be nice, or they could just include a web browser. The browser homepage could have links to all different groups that play the game. People could post new groups that need members and join other groups. There could also be calendars and such. I think that would work out alright, and the servers could never really go down.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Coldwinter
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:19 pm
quote : #10
*ponders*
*sigh* europeans... never get games like these if they dont turnout really good... Sad
but i think i will do a Import :p

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:32 pm
quote : #11
Coldwinter wrote:
*ponders*
*sigh* europeans... never get games like these if they dont turnout really good... Sad
but i think i will do a Import :p

That's another thing that's great about the GameCube; it's very easy to mod for imports, and if you don't want to mod, you have the even easier option of using a boot disc to run imports. There's no need to get complex (and encourage people to mod for piracy) because it's so easy to get the system to run imports.

I'm going to keep my eye on this one, for sure.
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:47 pm
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U/C
yea i hate making a physical mod to a game system. PS2 and XBOX you have to apply a mod chip. Dreamcast and GameCube both have boot discs. Thank heavens for the FreeLoader!!! Very Happy

Just remember to buy a seperate memory card for japanese games. The memory card format is different and if done on a US card, can and will corrupt all your other game saves.
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:56 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
yea i hate making a physical mod to a game system. PS2 and XBOX you have to apply a mod chip. Dreamcast and GameCube both have boot discs. Thank heavens for the FreeLoader!!! Very Happy

Just remember to buy a seperate memory card for japanese games. The memory card format is different and if done on a US card, can and will corrupt all your other game saves.

You know, before I bought my pre-modded Panasonic Q, I had my indigo GameCube physcially modified for $38 and it works like a charm. It's a lot less hassle than the freeloader. I'd recommend it if you had the money.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:33 am
quote : #14
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

You know, before I bought my pre-modded Panasonic Q, I had my indigo GameCube physcially modified for $38 and it works like a charm. It's a lot less hassle than the freeloader. I'd recommend it if you had the money.

Or the technical expertise to do it yourself. But not everybody does, so it's great to have the option of a thing you can buy and apply (load) yourself, just for imports. They really shouldn't make it so hard to play import PS2 and Xbox games.

Import-enabling boot discs really are a good thing for everybody involved.