lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:34 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok in this post i will be bringing up 2 or 3 different topics on this so bare with me....

First of all...i recently made a new character. This character is a female, a HUnewearl. Now i wanted to make her not only hot, but cute, and have good color distinctions. Now whats so funny is.....with this character....everyone is saying hello to me. However with my HUcast, I had to force conversation. Its kind of wierd.....i sit down in a chair with my HUnewearl, just chillin. And then like HUmar's and RAmar's are like sitting down next to me....now.....I don't wanna come out and create some wierd social situation right there in PSO....so I just like get up and walk away.

Why don't more people assume that not everyone creates characters based on their own IRL gender. I personally try never to 'assume' genders to gamers in PSO. I take their character choosing and creation as an expression of their personality, and treat everyone as a "GAMER" not as male or female gamers based instantly on the character they have chosen.

I guess i'll just have to be myself, and let peopel figure it out on their own. I didn't make a character to have to run around saying, "Yes I know my char is a HUnewearl but I am really a guy IRL". LOL I find the whole situation quite comical actually.

Has anyone else experience situations like this?

On another note:
I do recognize that a lot of girls play PSO. And i just feel this is the koolest thing ever. Not many other games have such a high percentage of women playing them. Personally I just like the fact that guys and girls are playing PSO....its makes things a bit more chill, based on personalities. So then its not some huge testosterone cursing war.

For instance in a game i play on the PC, One night there were 2 girls playing. The game is Aliens vs Predator 2. Now first off, knowing that this type of material is not readily accessable or marketed towards women, seeing them on there you know they are into the game. They wern't just going along with the crowd. Plus they were OWNING half the people in the game.

Anyways...these were just some things i had on my mind, because there have been some news statistics latley on gender and the gaming consumer market. So just wanted to lay some of these topics out for discussion.
rank 24
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:31 pm
quote : #2
I personally have never experienced the gender problem because I have only played online with a male character, but my brother had a FOmarl. I used to watch him play, and he experienced many of the same things as you.

When I see characters on the game, I think that I intially and subconciously assume that they are whatever sex their character is; however, after you have talked to them a while, it becomes obvious which sex that person really is.

Last edited by Lunar Eclipse on Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:55 pm
quote : #3
I, too, assume that the person is whatever sex their character is. There was this person that my friend and I used to do challenge mode with, they were a FOmarl by the name of Kiara. Sounds like a girl, right? They sounded even more like a girl when they talked.. they used all sorts of weird smileys and chat stuff that girls use... the o_O;;; and ^_^ and.. uh.. well, you get the idea. I know that there are guys out there that use those, but they seem very girly, especailly when paired with a girl character. Well, my friend has "Kiara"'s screenname, and apparently he's a 16 year old guy who's going to college early... I was like "He's a guy!? He doesn't seem like one!" My friend agreed too...

Moral of the story? Never enter a house made of candy, er um, never assume that a character is the same sex as their player.
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:56 pm
quote : #4
one, ok if you get hit on say stop hittin on me im a guy and im not interested in guys...
two, who gives rats ass it you wanna have a hot female char, its you character...
three, girls that play games are cool...
and four, i have 4 female characters i get it a lot so then i say... (one)
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:05 pm
quote : #5
OMG get this...right after I posted this message, I went online. I had just warped into the lobby, and some dude is chasing me around the lobby following me everywhere, sitting down all over the place, where ever i go. I say "dude whats your problem" and he says "your cute". I like just ran for the warp and changed lobbies, and then it happened again! In damn lobby05 two male looking characters came and sat down next to me and both said "Hi" virtually at the same time. Unbelievable! Oh well i guess i am just gonna have to find a way to deal with it.....I like this char too much to delete her.
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:27 pm
quote : #6
you deleted you character all over that? thats nothing....
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:58 pm
quote : #7
no no no hehehehe i didn't delete her......NO WAY hehe i was saying i like my char too much to delete her over some stuff like this...so i am gonna have to find away to deal with the situation Very Happy No way i am deleting 'kaorin' I gave here the Rati mag I grew Very Happy and am working on lvling her. What i really wanna do, is grow a pink and white Sato mag....ahhhh will be so perfect for her Very Happy
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:02 pm
quote : #8
eh im kinda out of it. some people in the house piss me off.
rank 24
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:09 pm
quote : #9
I don't stalk anybody or anything. That's just wierd.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Suppa Buddha
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:42 am
quote : #10
ok....