Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:22 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Nintendo hasn't been giving developer's network packages in order to control how the public view's the nintendo gamecube. I guess they don't want 3rd party developers running off making people think the cube is a fully online game system. I am getting a rather strong amount of information saying that Mario Tennis will use the broadband adaptor.

If you look at all the games released so far using the BBA ... they are all first party Nintendo titles. I think the reason why Rainbow Six 3 and Splinter Cell 2 wern't online were not UBI's fault. This means since Mario Tennis is a first party title it very well could use the BBA. IGN recently reported:

"June 24, 2004 - According to a Mario Tennis page on Nintendo's press site, the upcoming GameCube sports title will be able to communicate with the broadband adapter, which would indicate that it could be LAN or online ready. "

Now instantly one would think. LAN play, it has to be LAN play. But....it's a tennis game? Why would you force users to play a tennis game on 2 TV's when you can view a full multiplayer game all on ONE television? This would be like playing Bomberman on 2 tv's. There is no point to it at all to make this game LAN compatible. So this would give some pretty strong indications that Nintendo might be testing the waters with the realm of online gaming, by making Mario Tennis playable online through actual servers. What are your thoughts?

rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:47 pm
quote : #2
If this is true, I will be a happy gamer indeed. I loved Mario Tennis 64, and the thought of online Mario Tennis makes me wet myself in anticipation. Heck, even if it's just to upload scores, it's a start! And you provided false info: Two of the games that make use of the network capabilities of the GC are third party. Both of the PSO games.
Posted:
Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:48 pm
quote : #3
hope its true, i LOVED the first Mario Tennis. Any online game is good, because if just one game is successful online, who knows what Nintendo will do Cool
Posted:
Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:39 pm
quote : #4
satoshi wrote:
Two of the games that make use of the network capabilities of the GC are third party. Both of the PSO games.

Yea, sega is 3rd party. I should have kinda said 'most' companies. But if you look at the 3rd party companies getting dev kits it's rpg's. Homeland got the 'OK' to use the network kit as well.

My point was that it's very unlikely we will see any more 3rd party game developers getting network kits. Especially for games that have very little market in Japan. Such as tactical shooters and such.
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:29 am
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
satoshi wrote:
Two of the games that make use of the network capabilities of the GC are third party. Both of the PSO games.

Yea, sega is 3rd party. I should have kinda said 'most' companies. But if you look at the 3rd party companies getting dev kits it's rpg's. Homeland got the 'OK' to use the network kit as well.

My point was that it's very unlikely we will see any more 3rd party game developers getting network kits. Especially for games that have very little market in Japan. Such as tactical shooters and such.

Nintendo probably just gave the network kits out to developers whom Nintendo felt could actually make a good online game (not that I blame them, you wouldn't want a horrible online game to be released and forever tarnish the image of Nintendo's online gaming).
Posted:
Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:37 am
quote : #6
satoshi wrote:

Nintendo probably just gave the network kits out to developers whom Nintendo felt could actually make a good online game (not that I blame them, you wouldn't want a horrible online game to be released and forever tarnish the image of Nintendo's online gaming).

That's defently something to consider. I could agree with that. The fact is, Nintendo could make some really sucessful online games, (Zelda, Super Smash Bros) but they dont, and I think that's what puzzles everyones mind.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:50 am
quote : #7
- Nintendo of Japan confirmed that there will be no online or LAN play for the GameCube version of Mario Tennis, the game will have connectivity features with the GameBoy Advance.

Mad
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:53 am
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
- Nintendo of Japan confirmed that there will be no online or LAN play for the GameCube version of Mario Tennis, the game will have connectivity features with the GameBoy Advance.

Mad

That sucks.. Sad You can always have hope because NOA hasn't confirmed anything yet. Smile