Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok guys, come into this with a cool head. Take all this information as it comes and don't get over excited. If you understand the technology and how this works then realise that any of this stuff doesn't happen over night. I guess just saying this to people who take these situations, blow them way out of proportion assuming they are 100% confirmed definate, and then cry themselves to sleep at night when they don't go through.

SO basically what has happened is, someone has coded a program a few months ago that had given the ability to route controller data through the BBA onto the internet, allow you to play multiplayer online. A nearby PC is required. The programmer had already claimed to have played sonic adventure 2 battle online.

You need PSO, you need to load the program through pso-load app onto the GC and then run your game tunneling it to the PC and then to the other user doing the same thing. its like warppipe but with a whole nother step. Also this is much like running kaillera on the PC with an emulator. Your not really playing fully online...meaning if its multiplayer FPS....it will be splitscreen. And you'll see their screen on the tv.

Also finally I would like to note the app that is available is totally ghetto. Alpha version if it could even be called that. There are bugs, one of which means:

REMOVE YOUR MEMORY CARD FROM YOUR GAMECUBE!!!!!!!!!!

The application is buggy and when large amounts of data are being sent over the net the memory cards can very easily corrupt. I repeat remove your damn cards, I have warned you since it would suck to lose your PSO chars.

So if you would like to "read" more about this, hop on over to this thread at xlink:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6665

If you would like to download the app for safe keeping, go here:
http://projects.sappharad.com/gcn/gc_online/GC_online_tunnel.zip

At this stage, I myself am playing the waiting game. Most likely someone else will come along, expand on this, and figure it out even more. Fixing code and making it more managable. XLink, the ambitious people that they are, are already talking about integrating this kind of stuff in their network.

In the Dreamcast scene it seems I am the one doing most of the troubleshooting to verify online functionality. As with GameCube there are more people working on it, so at the moment myself will be sitting back to see what happens with all of this. Rather than going head on into it, staying up nights figuring out pso-load and the finding someone with sonic battle, and troubleshooting it.....etc etc...which would take days.

You guys are more than welcome to go crazy, investigate and try this stuff out, I would be anxious to hear what your experiences are with this.

So there you have it. More interesting stuff coming out of the blue. If I come across any more information I will be sure to let you guys know.

I have not posted this as news because, I confirm anything before I declare it a major front page announcement. Testing is a big thing for me, and I hate spreading rumours.
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:19 pm
quote : #2
that's pretty cool. Isn't that sorta what you said about dc though, that playing online over chankast or whatever, you would still see there screen though?
Konradshohe Lvl 21 (Skyly)
McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:12 pm
quote : #3
Interesting, I had heard very little about it before and wasn't actually sure if it was true...

I as well will be playing the waiting game, like you said, someone will come along and make it better...
Posted:
Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:11 pm
quote : #4
I've heard about this, but like Nikon, I'm definitely going to wait for it to at least advance to the beta stage (if it ever gets there). The concept is pretty interesting, but I was wondering, how does the pso-load app work? Just wondering if I would need a Hunter's ID or what since I have absolutely no experience with the load application. I understand most of the rest of what's going on, and will definitely looks into it.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:50 pm
quote : #5
Lunar Eclipse wrote:
I've heard about this, but like Nikon, I'm definitely going to wait for it to at least advance to the beta stage (if it ever gets there). The concept is pretty interesting, but I was wondering, how does the pso-load app work? Just wondering if I would need a Hunter's ID or what since I have absolutely no experience with the load application. I understand most of the rest of what's going on, and will definitely looks into it.

You do not need a hunter's license. I've used PSOLoad quite a few times after I quit PSO, on memory cards that I never had an official hunter's license on as well. It's pretty cool, but it's really tedious... If it weren't so tedious, I would have actually started programming something...
Posted:
Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:10 pm
quote : #6
PSO Plus doesn't have the load app does it? It would cost me like $100 to get online. Think I could mod it for PS2? Err... someone else could?

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:17 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
If I had SA2:B and a BBA, I'd try it for laughs and giggles.

-Mytho

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:01 pm
quote : #8
Apple wrote:
PSO Plus doesn't have the load app does it? It would cost me like $100 to get online. Think I could mod it for PS2? Err... someone else could?

The load app is run on one's computer. PSOPlus, however, seems to have different network code (if I recal correctly), thereby not allowing PSOLoad to work. As for the PS2...? You mean, make this controlsim program for the PS2? There are currently no such network exploits on the PS2 similar to PSO, that I know of... Sure, you may be able to do it if it were a modded system, but that's the beauty of PSOLoad, no modding.
Posted:
Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:59 am
quote : #9
If anything is gonna happen here it's gonna happen don't get your hopes up so I'm gonna wait to see if any major developements occur in the meantime. Cool Cool

dwachill
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:00 pm
quote : #10
Sounds like a pain to set up. Hopefully the technoligy will get good enough to be able to sit down anytime and have an online game, but i doubt it.

Apple
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:47 pm
quote : #11
I was thinking about this for PS2. If we routed the controller through USB and shared the info then output through USB it should work about the same. The technical problem is that the setup would have to be expensive and you'd need a splitter, which would most likely be homemade. The logistical problem is the one that should be the same for GC. You can't play any games with random spawn. No randomly spawned characters OR items. Other than those conditions you could play anything. As long as the games would run EXACTLY the same everytime.