Page Location: Home > Mario Kart Double Dash > Topic
nibelheimpromise
rank 3
Posted:
Sun May 22, 2005 4:11 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
So I was thinking: there's hardly any activity with the games that provide LAN capabilities and I feel as if a lot of people are taking good advantage of the opportunity that has been laid in front of us. ... What I'm trying to get at, is with programs such as Warp Pipe (although it's hardly useable sometimes... or in other words, it's a complete and utter piece of crap in terms of tunneling software) or XLink, why not make more use of their services and the very few games that have the LAN option. Now, if you're like me, you are a hardcore gamecube fan, and only own a gamecube (and not an xbox / ps2 - I do own nearly other game system... ... but that's irrelevant) and would like to let the games, that can be played through LAN, flourish.

So, now that I've rambled I'll just get straight to the point. Since out of the 3 games that have the LAN option, Mario Kart: DD (in my opinion) is the best and the most enjoyable one to play with other people, why not get some friendly competition going on. So, since it's a racing game, we could create a sort of standings/ranking system... You know, like ... um, a Nascar season. For each race you win (depending on the position in which you finished) you get a specific amount of points. So, basically we could get like... um, I don't know - 10-15-20 people together and do this. I think it'd be a fun way to keep the gamecube scene alive and just to have some fun, yet have an incentive to play DD. DD is such an outstanding game as it is, and I think something like this could really just make it THAT much more fun.

I figure if people are taking a liking to this idea, then we could perhaps just post a list of all of the players here on this board, and post the results here as well (in terms of who is leading the "cup" and all of the rankings and placings of each player). I don't know if anyone would be intersted in this idea, but I've been wanting to do this for a while... So, I guess just respond with your ideas, comments, suggestions - or if you're interested at all.

Just in case anyone is still confused on how the point system could work, I'll give you a quick example.

If you place FIRST in a race you'd get 10 points.
...SECOND, 7...
...THIRD, 5...

etc. etc. etc.

.... .... .... Mr. Green

2zer01
rank 1
Posted:
Sun May 22, 2005 5:57 pm
quote : #2
why not just make it yourself??, youve seem to have a good idea going, just make it flourish

nibelheimpromise
rank 3
Posted:
Sun May 22, 2005 6:17 pm
quote : #3
I would, but it would be pointless to make if noone had an interest in it or if they thought it's a stupid idea... So if I get some good feedback on the idea then I defintely will go ahead and make the idea happen.
rank 4
Posted:
Sun May 22, 2005 7:40 pm
quote : #4
I don't have a BBA because they cost too much for so little return. I'll be interested if I find one for cheap. (I'd really like to get two of them for maybe $10.)

nibelheimpromise
rank 3
Posted:
Sun May 22, 2005 8:16 pm
quote : #5
I just bought mine for $30, I don't consider that expensive
rank 1
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 9:11 pm
quote : #6
I JUST downloaded WARPPIPE a couple days ago and been logging into it but it appears that NO ONE plays using it anymore.
I have a router, but have not bothered to buy a BBA yet since NO ONE seems to play online. Is MKDD really work playing online? Not all choppy and crap? I can't see buying a BBA if no one ever plays it - talk about flushing your $30 faster than you can exhale.

If there some interest here, I'd pick one up and be able to playu on a weekly schedule

I was just about to post to see if anyone ever plays online with their Cube Smile

nibelheimpromise
rank 3
Posted:
Wed May 25, 2005 9:58 pm
quote : #7
Well, I will be honest warppipe can be a bit laggy. I use to play on warppipe all of the time when it first came out. It was really bad back in the day but it's gotten a bit better... it really just depends on where the people you're playing with are from. If you are in Ohio and the other person is in the UK then it's most defintely not gonna work. Nevertheless, I use XLink because it's much faster than WP in my opinion. Also, I use to tunnel my gc quite a bit actually (or going online if you will) because a lot of my buddies have/had mario kart DD and since we're all scattered throughout the states because of college, we use to hook up and play. Of course that was the first time I owned a BBA, but I got rid of it... but now I bought another one and we're planning on playing this weekend...

so the moral of the story is: it's worth the $30 if you know people that actually play using WP or XLINK and it's really worth it if you play PSO AND tunnel games...

and I have no idea if what I have typed makes any sense... I'm so tired, I'm probably making zero sense at this point in the night.