1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Please note this is a discussion just about GameCube Online related info. That means no DS and no Revolution online game talk in the comments, save that for the offtopic forum if you want. Well the GDC is going on right now, which is the Game Developers Conference. Today Nintendo President, Satoru Iwata, gave his keynote speech. The most important piece of information that relates to this website is the next Nintendo home console (codename: Revolution), will be backwards compatible with Nintendo GameCube games. Now all of this is speculation, but this would mean we could play PSO or LAN games with a Revolution as well as a GameCube. This has huge implications. Some people are having a hard time finding broadband adaptors. If one has a Revolution with built in network capabilites and a copy of PSO your all set. For instance, we could also link up the GameCube to the Revolution for Mario Kart.

Now here is where the problems start. We don't know if the Revolution will have Wi-Fi networking only? or wired broadband adaptors as well? I would hope Nintendo installs both standard ethernet cable, and Wi-Fi. It is good to have options, and only having Wi-Fi would limit a lot of people. Not everyone has a wireless access point. Also, we have no idea if a gamecube game could use the Revolution's network functions. Nintendo would have to make the network devices backwards compatible with those of the GameCube as well.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:28 pm; edited 7 times in total
rank 25
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:59 pm
quote : #2
Those are some good points you bring up Nikon. But explain something to me, if Revolution is going to have that ability right out of the box does that mean that if say we want to play MK:DD we could without the use of a tunneling program, i.e. warppipe?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:06 pm
quote : #3
Nope, because, Mario Kart wasn't designed to go online, only LAN. So a tunneling application like warp-pipe will still be needed as the middle man. Unless nintendo coded some method for Mario Kart to be played online for real with the Revolution, but this is highly unlikely.
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:25 pm
quote : #4
Nintendo could go with Wi-Fi only to start another Revolution, much like the Xbox and the Broadband only for its online. This could cause further development in the online gaming community.
Konradshohe Lvl 21 (Skyly)
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:32 pm
quote : #5
Chile wrote:
Nintendo could go with Wi-Fi only to start another Revolution, much like the Xbox and the Broadband only for its online. This could cause further development in the online gaming community.

Or lack of development... There is no way I'm going Wi-Fi. It's way too slow compared to wired.

Also, I do believe it was stated that the Revolution will be Wi-Fi ready out of the box, sorta like the DS. Here's to hoping I can still plug it into my standard, wired router though...
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:24 pm
quote : #6
Hey, I've had wi-fi and wired internet connection and I find wi-fi to be faster actually.
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:00 pm
quote : #7
Chile wrote:
Hey, I've had wi-fi and wired internet connection and I find wi-fi to be faster actually.

Then you must have an older wired router? My router can do 100MB/s, my computer can do the same. My friend's wireless network (very very new) can only do 11MB/s. I'll stick with my wired network. Especially seeing as how I have no need for a wireless network (no laptops, no portable online-enabled devices [DS doesn't count yet])
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:46 pm
quote : #8
Its a wireless reciever that that goes across 4 counties that is able to recieve data as fast or faster than wired network.
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:07 pm
quote : #9
Chile wrote:
Its a wireless reciever that that goes across 4 counties that is able to recieve data as fast or faster than wired network.

Really now. Could I get a link to the manufacturer of this receiver? I still find it hard to believe that a wireless connection could receive data across four counties as fast as or faster than a wired network. I say that because wireless signals are not shielded in any form. There is a buttload of interference in the atmosphere (natural and man-made alike) that would disrupt your signal. CAT5 cables are shielded from interference, thus they can go at high speeds without signal loss of almost any sort.
Posted:
Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:23 am
quote : #10
Wi-fi seems like a cool thing to have, but they need to support wired to. Correct me if im wrong but if its wired I would play it just like ps2 or gc, where if its wi-fi I need a wirless router?
Posted:
Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:32 am
quote : #11
marioman wrote:
Wi-fi seems like a cool thing to have, but they need to support wired to. Correct me if im wrong but if its wired I would play it just like ps2 or gc, where if its wi-fi I need a wirless router?

That is correct.
Posted:
Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:48 am
quote : #12
I was just thinking, maybe Nintendo see's the problems in having your computers and router across the house, and your TV and gaming systems in another part of the house. Having the wireless built into the system would be a HUGE advantage in that respect. However I gotta say, if Nintendo doesn't include wired ethernet, myself and many others will be extremly dissapointed. For one, Mario Kart probobly isn't coded to take advantage of wireless drivers. So if no standard ethernet port is supported that means our hope of using the Revolution with out GC online games is shattered.

Regardless, I'm just not ready to go all wireless. That's too much of an upgrade and hassle for me at the moment. I also prefer hardwired to wireless. Latency and disconnects are a serious problem with wireless.
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:13 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
I was just thinking, maybe Nintendo see's the problems in having your computers and router across the house, and your TV and gaming systems in another part of the house. Having the wireless built into the system would be a HUGE advantage in that respect. However I gotta say, if Nintendo doesn't include wired ethernet, myself and many others will be extremly dissapointed. For one, Mario Kart probobly isn't coded to take advantage of wireless drivers. So if no standard ethernet port is supported that means our hope of using the Revolution with out GC online games is shattered.

Regardless, I'm just not ready to go all wireless. That's too much of an upgrade and hassle for me at the moment. I also prefer hardwired to wireless. Latency and disconnects are a serious problem with wireless.

Oh man, if only I could remember where I found the quote... It was said, at GDC, that the wireless networking of the Revolution would not hinder online GC games. Of course that only really means two games: PSO and PSO Ep.3... But that means that you can still play those online with the Revolution.
Posted:
Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:22 pm
quote : #14
I was actually wondering whether the Revolution will contain the actual Gamecube hardware in addition to the Revolution's new hardware (as the Gameboy line has done) or whether it will use an emulator (like the PS2 does) to enable backwards compatibility. I don't know if this really matters, but I was just wondering.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
dwachill
rank 3
Posted:
Tue May 31, 2005 2:31 pm
quote : #15
Lunar Eclipse wrote:
I was actually wondering whether the Revolution will contain the actual Gamecube hardware in addition to the Revolution's new hardware (as the Gameboy line has done) or whether it will use an emulator (like the PS2 does) to enable backwards compatibility. I don't know if this really matters, but I was just wondering.

I would assume that it would use emulation, seeing as it can also play N64, SNES, and NES games. I dont think they are going to put the hardware in for all those systems. I guess they could emulate those 3 and have the hardware built in for GCN games, but i dont know.