Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:54 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Yeah, I decided to scrap the idea of going wireless with my GCN because of the cost of hubs and ran some ethernet cables up into my living room. These cables are plugged into my router.

Here is my problem. I can't play games online on my PC and haven't been able to do so since I got broadband. Because of this, I know that I won't be able to play GCN games online either. If I take the cord out of the router and plug it directly into the modem, everything works fine.

When I tried to play games, it said I needed to open various ports, and I did that. However, that didn't work. Is it because I don't have a fixed IP address? I don't know what to do to fix the problem. Is there some way to "trick" each computer hooked to the router into thinking that it is plugged directly into the modem and that the signal isn't split up? If the problem is the fact that I don't have a fixed IP address, then I will gladly pay the extra $15 a month to my service provider for the permanent address.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:23 pm
quote : #2
A fixed IP does not matter. You still might be able to play your gamecube games online. I can't play various computer games through my router (Tiberian Sun, I can't host any Quake games (can still join them though), um..) but PSO works just fine.

You have to open every port for a game, and in some cases, you'll have to direct the open ports to a certain computer. Although many games will work through a router. You can play various FPS games through a router. The only problem would be where you actually host the game on your computer (open b.net in diablo ii, for example, but the realm would still work; or hosting a server for a game; or any game that requires a direct connect)

PSO is working just fine behind my mom's router, my dad's router, AND my friend's router. The only reason you'd need a fixed IP is so that you could, possibly, host a website. It doesn't matter for gaming.
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:53 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Lunar I did the SAME exact thing! I drilled a hole into the basement and wired all the cords through Very Happy

First of all.....what model router do you have. Also what did you set your network configuration settings for your gamecube? Have you tried connecting to the net with cube yet?

And basically everything satoshi said was correct.

Gamecube should be able to connect no problem, your not hosting anything when playing on gamecube, if your PC is on the internet, jacking in your cube to the router and setting it to auto detect ISP settings....should work fine. Your gamecube should be able to connect to the net through the router no problem, I can guarantee you.
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:04 am
quote : #4
my routers fine, just plug in the ethernet cords into the router and im able you play pso and do whatever i want on my computer. but what kind of router do you have?
rank 24
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:25 pm
quote : #5
I have an Netgear MR314 router, and the reason I thought that a fixed ISP might help is because I got an add from my provider that said that a fixed ISP was perfect for online gaming (I don't know too much about this stuff).

I haven't actually tried to play online with my GCN, but I was concerned because I didn't want to buy without knowing whether it would work. The game on my PC that I have been trying to play is Age of Empires 2, and I have not had much success trying to HOST or JOIN games.

I just want to be sure that broadband will work before I buy the adapter.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:00 pm
quote : #6
Age of Empires? That's an RTS, right? I also had problems with Tiberian Sun, I couldn't host OR join games. It was a pain. My mom's router is a newer Netgear, an RP614, i think. My dad's is at least 3 years old, but is also a Netgear. On my dad's I opened every port that westwood said needed to be open. It didn't work. On my mom's I did the same, didn't work. So I found the lowest port number, rounded down to the nearest thousand, and did the same with the highest port number, except I rounded up. My mom's router allows ports to be opened as a range. I think I opened ports 1000 to 7000 just to play Tiberian Sun... But it works! It's not very safe, but I wasn't attacked/hacked or anything before I got the router, so I'm not worried.
Posted:
Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:04 pm
quote : #7
i dont have a single clue of what your discusing, but i want in the in crowd, so here i go, this is my suggestion, burn down your house, collect the insurance money, and start all over, you see ive been burdened with a macintosh mom so ive been denied complicated promlems with computers. Cool
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:42 am
quote : #8
I hate Macs.

Suppa Buddha
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:16 am
quote : #9
The only reason I'd get a mac is for artwork and the iPod.
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:13 pm
quote : #10
I guess it could be useful for that.

Suppa Buddha
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:00 pm
quote : #11
Hai!!!!!!!