Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:58 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
First of all, let me start by saying that I haven't had much time to visit the site recently because I've been busy working on getting a co-op job and have a few challenging classes this semester (differential equations is a b****). But now I've got my job at GE (electrical engineering if you're wondering) and my classes have calmed down somewhat.

Anyways, my dad and I went out and bought a 50" plasma with built in DVR (it rocks), and I hooked up my Gamecube. Unfortunately the images were pretty damned blurry, so I decided to buy a component cable for the system. I've already ordered from lik-sang.com since nintendo.com is out of stock. Basically I just wanted to hear from anyone who has the cables and a nice TV set already. I've read some good things about the cable and I'm confident Progressive Scan games will look tremendous on the screen; however, I was wondering what kind of a boost the cable gives to games that don't support Progressive Scan. Any input about the cables is appreciated guys.

BTW, good to be back Very Happy

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:22 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
are you running composite? or s-video right now?

I'm not sure yet what component looks like. I have a ton of games I eventually want to try in progressive scan. Namely PSO and Metroid Prime! So eventually I will be able to check this out.

Also be sure to hang onto your gamecube!!!! New gamecubes no longer have the digital port on them for component cables. Which means you can't run games in progressive scan on the new gamecubes. Also since the Nintendo Revolution won't support HD, you won't be able to run GC games in progressive can on it either!!!! So relish your gamecube.

I'm actually going to hunt down GC's with progressive scan when people start dropping like flies and going to next gen. Snatch some up for super cheap. LOL i already have 2 gamecubes, both with a digital port. So I am pretty covered. But with how cheap the systems are gonna get, might as well be extra extra covered.

Plus then I could run LANed 1080 Avalanche in 480p! Very Happy (god 2 HD TV's would kill my balance.)
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:46 pm
quote : #3
i havent been able to track down a inexpensive official HD cable. most on ebay are not only expensive, but 3rd party.

i was told to watch nintendos online shop, that they infact still stock these.

ill tell ya, its amazing what a difference HD component makes. you havent lived until youve seen killzone or halo 2 in FULL HD!
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:33 pm
quote : #4
yeah, nikon, I've got S-Video at the moment, but I'm really hoping component is a huge jump in the visual department. I definitely plan on hanging on to my Cube for a long time, so I hope it doesn't break (heh, god knows its been used a ton and has held up like a champ). Anyways, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nintendo state that it would in fact support 480p with the Revolution, just not the higher HD resolutions? I'm not totally sure, but I think it has 480p support like the Cube.

And MasterChief, I ordered my cable (official Nintendo one) from lik-sang for $35 or so, which definitely isn't too bad considering what they're going for on E-Bay.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:37 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
I got a new Sony 24" WEGA Flat Screen TV last year and always wanted to get those pimpin' component cables. I've seen a component cable combo at Wal-Mart that includes connectors for each system (PS2, Xbox, GC). It was around... $25? Maybe this is way to go instead of shelling out $35 for a cable you can only use on one system.

-Mytho

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:51 pm
quote : #6
TheMytho wrote:
I got a new Sony 24" WEGA Flat Screen TV last year and always wanted to get those pimpin' component cables. I've seen a component cable combo at Wal-Mart that includes connectors for each system (PS2, Xbox, GC). It was around... $25? Maybe this is way to go instead of shelling out $35 for a cable you can only use on one system.

-Mytho

Yeah, maybe, but I've heard that the Nintendo cable is second to none in terms of quality. Also, I keep my PS2 and Dreamcast in the basement on my 35 inch projection TV (which I might add was a total bitch to bring downstairs when we got the plasma), so I just use S-Video down there and have no need for a multi-system component cable. I'll let you guys know what I think of the cable when I get it.