Page 1 of 1
wwjd
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:30 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm selling my Mario Kart DD

I've played ALL the Nintendo games from Nintendos very beginning. MKDD is boring compared to MK64 in MY book. The online part seems unplayable. I can play MK64 ONLINE and have a great time. MKDD just seems like it has cooler graphics but not much more. On that note, I was not impressed with Mario Sunshine game either - and I LOVE Mario games! Well..... lovED. This sadens me. AND I just ran out and bought a PS2 game... system to follow shortly.

Anybody else suffering Nintendo disenchantment?

Mastershake
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:46 pm
quote : #2
not really. my big beef with nintendo is that they dont lower their prices. Everything stays at 50 dollars. It's annoying. I don't feel like paying 50 bucks for a game thats not online. In my book, online multiplayer increases the replay value a lot. I just love multiplayer games.
PSO episode 1 & 2 characters (xbox): (not playing anymore)
rune HUmar: level 122
wren HUcast: level 68
Rune ver2 FOmar: level 69
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:51 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
wwjd wrote:
I'm selling my Mario Kart DD

I've played ALL the Nintendo games from Nintendos very beginning. MKDD is boring compared to MK64 in MY book. The online part seems unplayable. I can play MK64 ONLINE and have a great time. MKDD just seems like it has cooler graphics but not much more. On that note, I was not impressed with Mario Sunshine game either - and I LOVE Mario games! Well..... lovED. This sadens me. AND I just ran out and bought a PS2 game... system to follow shortly.

Anybody else suffering Nintendo disenchantment?

(ebay would probobly be your best bet to sell off the game)

Mario Kart Double Dash is just a different game. They made a few tweaks the formula. I personally enjoy MK:DD, but its not for everyone. It doesn't make it any worse of a game. Some people just prefer the previous mario's better. I have grown to really enjoy MK:DD after playing it so much.

Also as far as online is concerned, when this game was released and I saw how it much bandwidth it used, I never treated it as a tunnelable game. I treat these titles as local network titles. Honestly, this is how they were designed. Nintendo did not intend for Mario Kart to be tunneled over the internet. You can't fault Double Dash tunneling poorly, because it was NEVER designed to do this in the first place. These gamecube LAN games are just what they are....LAN games. However, as bandwidth increases for internet speeds, sometime down the road you could play them online without any lag. Just not now.

The problem is people fear change. Nobody respects Double Dash, Sunshine, or Luigi's Mansion as interesting side games in the Mario franchise. They instead see them as failed entries that didn't live up to their expecations. And what ARE people's expectations? People want Mario 64, with double the polygons. They don't want anything to change.

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately because we are in the middle of a transition period right now in the industry. What if Nintendo never makes a game as good as their previous titles? I see so many people who praise some game like Mario Kart 64, yet the don't ever play Mario Kart 64 anymore. It is seen by many as the greatest Mario Kart game, yet people sit around waiting for some game to come out that eclipses its original genius. What if this never happens?

Think about it, people are waiting for a new game to come out that is better than the game they love, yet the original game they love...the don't even play anymore.

Take for instance, I love Star Wars Battlefront. When its sequal came out, which I also own, I didn't like it as much. There were differences and new changes! But guess what? SWBF2 doesn't break my original game or anything. So in this same instance, Mario Kart Double Dash doesn't make your MK64 cartridge explode into a million pieces.

Lets say everything goes beserk tomarrow and all games are cheap dribble with no innovation and the industry crumbles. I currently own 288 (and counting) video games. I have a ton of games to play, and continue to play, that have incredible replay value and are fun. I plan to keep on playing them. So, because of this fact, I don't get as worked up as I used to about radical shifts in the game industry. I'm comfortable to see how it all plays out.

Atleast Nintendo is trying new things.

Mastershake wrote:
not really. my big beef with nintendo is that they dont lower their prices. Everything stays at 50 dollars. It's annoying. I don't feel like paying 50 bucks for a game thats not online. In my book, online multiplayer increases the replay value a lot. I just love multiplayer games.

This is like going to a car dealer and getting pissed off that the vehicle cannot fly like an airplane, and feeling your money is going to waste and that you deserve to pay half price. Nintendo is not selling online multiplayer. They are selling hi-quality, original exclusives, with a a perfect framerate and fantastic production values. All original artwork, all original character designs, and all original worlds. This is what the selling point has been for the gamecube.

The games released on the GameCube are worth $50.00. Just because you can't find value in the titles doesn't mean they should drop their prices. You can go buy games on another platform that have online, realistically modeled environments, and muddy textures, that get slashed to $19.99 a month after their release.

Nintendo keeps the price of their releases where theyshould be, because the games they release DESERVE to be sold at that price.
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:50 pm
quote : #4
The only problem i have with Super mario sunshine is the waterpack seems to make the game too easy. You loose the feel that "if i miss this jump, i am going to fall and die" because you can just hover yourself back to the platform. They should have just made the pack squrt and not hover. IMO of course Wink

BTW and compleately off topic, i love the giant bananna on the banner for this page Mr. Green
wwjd
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:07 pm
quote : #5
i hear ya on the CHANGE and the OLD GAMES thing LordN. I'm all about change - sort fo a personal philosophy of mine - and I don't HATE MKDD, I just don't play it as much... well.. at ALL now. I was wondering if it would grow on my after a lot of play but I don't think I got that far. I'd play for a while, go "... eh...", put the controller down and go stare at clouds. Not like some of the older games where once I start, HOURS of joy go by and I just don't want to put the controller down ever. SMB3 STILL does that to me! I suppose they marketed it right and I wanted to hear it wrong. I assumed Mario Sunshine was ANOTHER SMB game - and wanted it to be. [sigh] because in their past they really DID improve upon a good thing, instead of going off to the side. Mario Kart was [is] a blast... MK64 was even MORE fun, so I wished MKDD was even MORE MORE fun. It's a great game, just not MORE MORE fun than MK64 Smile

And while I'm getting this off my chest [thanks for listening - cheap therapy] F-ZERO X doesn't seem like MORE MORE fun than F-Zero64, or old F-zero.... just different. Lost the original feel IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

I've got no complaints with METROID. That's a keeper for me Wink

In the grander scheme, I have personal issues with most games that LOOK better than they play. I seriously believe companies are too focused on BEST graphics and the "GAME PLAY FUN" has taken a back seat... just enough to be noticed. I think the CUBE is another example of this. Xbox is too, and some PS2. If someone came out with an original 2D side scrolling platformer THAT WAS FUN, I'd be in heaven - it would display a belief in the GAME and not just the presentation. Tetris doesn't require huge horsepower but it is probably STILL the most played video game in teh world for ever ever ever. I bet anyway

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:07 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
wwjd wrote:
And while I'm getting this off my chest [thanks for listening - cheap therapy] F-ZERO X doesn't seem like MORE MORE fun than F-Zero64, or old F-zero.... just different. Lost the original feel IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

F-Zero GX for the gamecube was developed by Amusement Vision (sega), developers of Daytona USA, Super Monkey Ball, Shining Force, etc etc. I personally didn't take to the early F-Zero games. I never got into the snes version, or the n64 version, or any of the GBA spin offs. I love F-Zero GX though. A big part of this has to do with the fact that I love arcade games, and I am a huge Sega arcade fan, and treasure all of their recent 3D arcade games released in the last 5 years. So this is a perfect example of, different games appealing to different people. Everyone is different, so everyone will enjoy different games.

During the N64 days I found another futuristic-racer love, in the form of Extreme-G. Which continues to be my favorite future-racer franchise above all others, including wipeout. I am an extreme-g nut, and own every game released holding the name.

wwjd, do you own a GBA? or better yet, a GBA Player? You should pick one up. The GBA had multiple classic snes-esque F-Zero games released for it. Plus it would probobly quench your thirst for some side scrolling 2D goodness. And some classic mario and zelda. Some new Zelda games were released for it which are superb! (btw you should look into Zelda 4 Sword Adventures for GC as well)

(btw: I am moving this thread to the GameCube Lounge. Its really not about double dash but more about all types of games and their changes from generation to generation.)

wwjd wrote:
I've got no complaints with METROID. That's a keeper for me Wink

Metroid Prime was my reason for first getting a gamecube, and Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are my 2 favorite games of all time. I have played through them both 2 times each. Once on Normal Mode and once on Hard mode. I usually alienate myself from everyone else, including the internet and sit down and play these games. I have a bit of a problem with them as well, borderline insane. I practically worship them.
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:11 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Mastershake wrote:
]not really. my big beef with nintendo is that they dont lower their prices. Everything stays at 50 dollars. It's annoying. I don't feel like paying 50 bucks for a game thats not online. In my book, online multiplayer increases the replay value a lot. I just love multiplayer games.

This is like going to a car dealer and getting pissed off that the vehicle cannot fly like an airplane, and feeling your money is going to waste and that you deserve to pay half price. Nintendo is not selling online multiplayer. They are selling hi-quality, original exclusives, with a a perfect framerate and fantastic production values. All original artwork, all original character designs, and all original worlds. This is what the selling point has been for the gamecube.

The games released on the GameCube are worth $50.00. Just because you can't find value in the titles doesn't mean they should drop their prices. You can go buy games on another platform that have online, realistically modeled environments, and muddy textures, that get slashed to $19.99 a month after their release.

Nintendo keeps the price of their releases where theyshould be, because the games they release DESERVE to be sold at that price.

I don't know. All I'm saying is that I'd rather buy a game that has high replay value than buy a game that i can beat in a few days. REASON: I buy a new game once every....4 months? Maybe longer. It's been a long time. When i pay 50 dollars, i better be getting a game i will play for months. Such as PSO, Halo 2, Splinter cell Chaos Theory...basically any game i can play online that's fun and addicting. Not that Nintendo doesnt make great games....but replay is everything for me when i never get a game. There are so many Gamecube games i want but i dont have the extra cash to spend.
PSO episode 1 & 2 characters (xbox): (not playing anymore)
rune HUmar: level 122
wren HUcast: level 68
Rune ver2 FOmar: level 69
wwjd
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:23 pm
quote : #8
I still own AND play the older school stuff, and I DO enjoy the newest F-Zero, but it is just not the same. They could have called it Super Space Racer or something completely new and it would stand fine as an EXCELLENT racer... just feels less F-ZEROy to me Smile

Metroid.... talk about having it all. I still enjoy the ORIGINAL NES version too!! Just something about a good controlling game - flat - 3D - whatever! Fun stuff!

I'm glad games are progressing like they are, I'd never go back. There's some stuff I've gone back and played and, although it was sweet at the time, the NEWER stuff [or versions] simply blows it away - no need to play the old junk anymore. But a well done interesting premeise will stay fun for ever! Has anything better been developed that beats these catagorys in their BASIC gameplay?
- Bomberman
- Tetris
- Street Fighter II [skipping the 7000 clones]
- Qix
- Trackmania
etc etc Smile All the graphics in the world will never improve the actual Gameplay mechanics. THOSE are the stars.

LONG LIVE OLD SCHOOL! LONG LIVE NEW SCHOOL!! LONG LIVE VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!!