Topic: players online

Page 1 of 1
GameBoy
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:45 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
hey can anyone please tell me how many servers and players are online right now?for us version. bcuz i might get gamecube if people still play this online(i will get it after ps3)

gRiMgRaVy014
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:22 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
From what I've heard there are still alot of people on during peak hours.I'm guessing you could always geta full game going.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:44 pm
quote : #3
GC PSO's online population has taken a severe hit lately. This would have happened eventually, but its happened sooner than it should. The main catalyst was unofficial servers cropping up for the gamecube version. (Feel free to add "comments" about this like I am doing, however do not ask more questions about actually using this, how to get setup, or links relating to it. Post smart.) So you have a lot of "cheap" gamers, kids, and every hacker going off to use other servers. I have mixed feelings on this. While its good to see GC PSO's future possibly being secured, it is disheartening to see it done while the game is still commercially available.

On top of this Blue Burst is pretty popular. Lots of people are playing it because it is the new hot thing. Also Phantasy Star Universe is just around the corner. Blue Burst probobly had the biggest effect though. With Ep IV and all the new weapons lots of players are over there playing. However the game is a sort of twisted hybrid. Its not quite the classic PSO you remember, because the developers are working on PSU lately. Many of the graphical styles, weapon designs, and simpler environments are bleeding over into Blue Burst. Ep 4's very own environments are straight out of PSU territory here. Featuring a more minimalistic approach.

There are still people online on GameCube PSO. Well into the hundreds on Japanese servers, and anywhere between 50-100 people online on the US or EU servers. However during off hours it can drop well into the teens. It has been sporatic though. People kind of float back and forth.

I have realised that every single game is bound to have this happen. It is inevitable with any online game. Recently I was forced to break out my finding skillz and hunt down some more legits to play with during halloween. And that I did! I walked around and talked with a bunch of people and eventually found some players to play with all throughout october. I think the key thing is, to have the ability to find new players and also to find players that you are going to want to play with. You have to have the will power to find people to play with, rather than soley relying on stumbling upon other players to play with.

GC PSO will eventually dwindle down to Dreamcast player counts. However as long as places like OC exist to actually FIND people to play with, then I consider it no problem at all. Plus MOST of the random people that actually play online, I don't want to play with anyway. Seriously, even if it said 200 people online....90% of those people I would never want to socialize or play with.

Over on Dreamcast PSO, the PAL region version people have no problem getting games going, and the lobbys are for the most part rather meager. However from many of the snapshots posted over there you can see people are getting games going and having fun. I think this is actually the most important thing. That there are avenues available to atleast find a few desirable people to hook up and play with.
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:12 pm
quote : #4
Ya I wouldn't really start to worry about it until your having trouble getting a full gmae going which is 4 people and I right?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:15 pm
quote : #5
Its not hard at all to get a game going. Just a lot of people expect every online game to have as many people online as Socom or something. (which has like 5-10 thousand people on it btw)
unknown
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:35 pm
quote : #6
I can remember when PSO first came out.... I think the official number for people online was like 300,000. I think that pretty incredible. I would go through the first 5 ships to find a place to play. Very Happy PSO is definitely worth the price of admission.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:28 pm
quote : #7
It wasn't 300,000 online at once. That might have been subscribers. In 2003 Sega reported to have roughly 600,000 subscribers across all platforms. The peak numbers online were on the GameCube version, and maxed out at about 5,000 players online simultaniously.