Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:16 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey guys. I have the component cable for my Gamecube and I must say that progressive scan makes a huge difference. However, I have a problem. On my HD TV, I have tons of component connections, but on the TV that I have in the basement, I have only one component. I typically prefer to play games in my basement, but I already have a DVD player hooked up to the component slot on the TV.

So here's the question: Do any of you guys know of a good "switcher" for component cables? I've seen a few, but I've heard some horror stories that they degrade the quality of the image so much that they aren't even worth it. If any of you guys have one and/or would like to recommend one, let me know.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed May 03, 2006 5:07 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hmmm well, at the moment I use a S-Video switch box from Pelican. They also made some "super" switch box which not only has component, but also ethernet ports! I do not know if it degrades a component signal.
rank 24
Posted:
Wed May 03, 2006 8:19 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
Hmmm well, at the moment I use a S-Video switch box from Pelican. They also made some "super" switch box which not only has component, but also ethernet ports! I do not know if it degrades a component signal.

Yep, I think I'm going to get the "super" box that you mentioned (I think it's called the Pelican System Selector Pro). I need the component inputs, and the ethernet switcher will be awesome once I get my hands on a Dreamcast BBA (which could take a while) and a GC BBA. I've read some reviews and it seems that the box is pretty reliable and doesn't have any problems until you get up over 480p which is the maximum resolution on the TV in my basement. It has a ton of inputs, so I doubt I'll ever be short on them again. Thanks for the lead.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu May 04, 2006 12:40 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Let me know how that works out, because I might get one of those as well for down the road.
rank 24
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 10:16 am
quote : #5
Okay, I got the Pelican Pro System Selector yesterday for 80 bucks at Best Buy. It's pretty nice, and I've noticed no degradation in picture quality when playing on my television. Still, there are a few issues.

The first issue that I've been having is very strange. I don't have an S-Video cable for my Dreamcast but I do have one for my PS2. Apparently this thing can only handle component and s-video OR standard (yellow plug only) video. What I'm trying to say is it won't take an S-Video in in one slot and then a standard video in in another slot. I might be doing something wrong, but that's been my experience so far. I'll continue playing with it and update if I fix this problem.

Another issue is that there is no conversion from one type of video to another. I actually opened up the case on this thing and it looks like it's just a bunch of relays that switch between your various inputs. So basically, you need two different outputs from this thing if you want to have component and s-video inputs coming into it.

Also, the ethernet ports are just hardwired switches. It's not breaking up the signal. Whatever source you have selected is getting the ethernet signal, and nothing else. That's not an issue for me since I wouldn't be playing two consoles online at once, but if you decided to hook your TiVo up to this thing, you wouldn't be able to get listing updates and such while this box was switched to the PS2 input.