Posted:
Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:44 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
You can read about it here:

http://boards.sega.com/sega/viewtopic.php?t=62780

and here:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=114720&forum=3 (some idiot comments here)

There has been a power outage which caused the servers to go offline. It will soon be a week since it happened. This is too long.

*waits*
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:53 pm
quote : #2
Over one week downtime, now. One of the mods in the SEGA site thread said today that "SEGA will be making a new announcement soon." Ok, so PAL and JP ships are still up. I just hope we won't be forced to buy PAL copies of the game. (although I probably will if I have to) Anyway, we shall wait and see what this "announcement" is. Confused

edit:
In the PSO-World forum some guy posted and said the problem was that SEGA could no longer accept automatic DNS detect connects for some odd reason, but if you manually enter your ISP info in, connect should go through. I will test this at 21:00 my time, tonight. I'll have to look on my DC to get my DNS info! Twisted Evil

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:02 pm
quote : #3
Well, I won't be buying an import copy of this game if sega takes the US servers down. It is subscription based in both Japan and Europe. Also, you have to completly format a memory card for a certain region and use a Freeloader boot disc to boot the import. It is much more of a hassle than dealing with PAL on the Dreamcast. Plus it will cost us a lot of money to import copies of these games. They arn't as easy to find in Japan or Europe as they are in the US (which are still hard to come by in the US). Because of these hurdles I would then go to a backup plan.

Sega will get the servers back online, there are a decent amount of people still subscribing, and Halloween is on the way, and that always has some people renewing their Hunters Liscenses to get Jack-O-Lanterns.

I don't think there is a "serious" problem. The employees working on this situation are probobly just really goddamn slow and lazy. Do you want to know how I know this? Because they have provided little to no communcation throughout this entire ordeal. If they were on top of things and doing their job they would have reported back on the forums at sega to let us know what the deal was.

A "mod" from the forums had to come and post that they heard from an employee that an announcement is coming soon.

Sad.

I just hope it gets back online soon.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:32 pm
quote : #4
Oh I though it would be just like DC, just use a freeloader and that does the trick. Didn't know you have to format a memory card to that region. Well, I won't be importing a PAL copy either, then.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:35 pm
quote : #5
I know it is possible. Some users here have imported the Japanese version and played it from the US.

If you really wanted to get on official servers you could do so with the PAL or JP version of the game.

However I don't think we are going to have this problem. Sega should have the servers up sometime soon. Too many people are making noise over them being down for them to just leave them shut off.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:49 pm
quote : #6
Well I'm still going to try manually entering my info in after I'm through playing 4x4 Evolution. I'll post if that's the problem.

edit:
http://boards.sega.com/sega/viewtopic.php?t=63055 GRRRR!!!! Now this is getting to be ridiculous. At least we know the servers will be coming back online.

EDIT2:
I'm going ahead and saying 2 weeks today, because it's already the end of the work day, and tomorrow marks 2 weeks downtime for the official gamecube PSO servers, and we've had very little feedback from SEGA as to what the problem is exactly and when it will be fixed. At this point I have my doubts. 2 weeks is a very long time to be working on a login server. Somehow I bet they could bring it back up, but the timestamp authorization may be screwed up and if we were allowed to connect we'd lose all items and bank (just a theory) Anyway, at this point I'm one very dissatisfied customer. I understand if something takes a long time to fix, but seeing as how I'm paying for it, I expect a little more input from Sonic Team as to what the problem is and when it will be fixed. I don't complain about anything when it comes to DC PAL region PSO, because it's free. Anyway, I've always been told the customer is *ALWAYS* right! What are your thoughts on this, everyone?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:05 pm
quote : #7
You won't get any customer service during this ordeal. You won't get any notice from Sonic Team, or from Sega. Basically they will get it up when they get it up. They won't acknowledge that they screwed up, and won't be giving out any refunds. All we can do is sit and wait.
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:15 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
You won't get any customer service during this ordeal. You won't get any notice from Sonic Team, or from Sega. Basically they will get it up when they get it up. They won't acknowledge that they screwed up, and won't be giving out any refunds. All we can do is sit and wait.

The will have to, at the very least, give everyone an extension on their hunter's license renewal. Not sure of the actual bill, but I know there is a law protecting consumer's rights from this kind of thing. I'll head over to the library of congress site and look it up. Basically, if you pay for a service laws state you must get it. And this isn't only a federal law, but also a law that has been written into each states constitution. So not only would they be in dereliction of a federal law, but also the law of at least the state they're in, possibly the states of the consumers, depending on how the judge wants to do it.

I believe this federal bill covers it... http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c105:25:./temp/~mdbsDEoKrJ:: Communications Privacy and Consumer Empowerment Act - Anyway Nikon, my point is not to undermine your authority here, but to let everyone know that if they don't indeed give some sort of compensation for it, they are breaking the law. Their webpage only states that they do not pro-rate time in any way, and from a business standpoint I can totally understand that. It would be very difficult and time consuming to refund hundreds of credit cards, so we can just forget about that. Regardless, they are indeed required by federal law to make it right with us, the consumer.

edit:

after extensive searching on the Library of Congress website, I've found there are numerous bills and resolutions governing this sort of thing, and I haven't even touched amendments. On a lighter note... Are all these bills and resolutions and amendments of amendments really necessary? Mr. Green

Edit 2: These bills are extremely vague, and could be contorted by a judge to fit his or her needs, so keep that in mind if you search on this, or any other bill at the library of congress website. It's very important to know your rights! Mr. Green

Last edited by U-235 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:24 pm
quote : #9
I'm not saying Sega is not required by law to give quality customer service, or that they wern't in the wrong. I am merely saying that in the end, Sega probobly won't do anything to make up for the downtime.
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:28 pm
quote : #10
no aguments from me there. sad but true. They realize the average age of their players is 18 years old or younger, and they know they can exploit that.

edit:

With what you just said, Nikon it should be noted... You are right, but if you want compensation for this downtime you will have to go after it yourself. They *probably* won't give out extensions to everyone massively on this unless some major class-action lawsuit is threatened. It will be up to each individual to go after his or her own compensation. Piss-poor customer service, in my opinion.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:29 pm
quote : #11
Yea, Sega is screwing me, but it isn't worth my time to get worked up over it or to persue the matter at all.
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:59 am
quote : #12
PSOGC is STILL offline? Neutral

Yikes. I really should get back into it (if/when the servers are back online), at least just to play some EP3 online.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:20 am
quote : #13
TheMytho wrote:
PSOGC is STILL offline? Neutral

Yikes. I really should get back into it (if/when the servers are back online), at least just to play some EP3 online.

-Mytho

It's back up now :]