Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:10 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just played Homeland for the first time. Not only is the entire game in Japanese, but like I already stated in another thread, the text is all garbeled due to the boot loader (keep that discussion in other thread please). Without knowing anything about this game, I was able to:

Start and save my single player game
Start walking around
Warped down to some world with a selected character skin
Visited Shops
Attacked enemies
Picked up a stick, Equiped stick
Attacked enemies with stick
Took Damage
Healed myself using an item
Healed myself at a shop of some sort

So far what I have accomplished was all done using trial and error. This game is designed very well. The locations all have iconic symbols on them. If you are at the heal shop there are beds. At another shop there is a little shield and a steak on a sign. I am sure there is some stuff that I will have trouble with because I can't read any text, but so far I am doing enough to enjoy the game.

One very important point to bring up, is that this game's menus are all very simple. The options are all color coded which is GREAT for not knowing what any of the menus mean. The colors give you a visual reference point and distinquish between the available options. I think this is a big reason why I was able to move around the game so quickly.

This game is no doubt an adventure in trial and error, but its not as bad as say a PS2 import RPG.
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:15 pm
quote : #2
Reading there posts reminded me that i pm'd a guy over at ntsc/uk before xmass about homeland

In his reply he left a link for a guide he wrote, ive no idea of how much use it is but i'll leave the link here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jasonmuir/homeland/Main%20page.html

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:20 pm
quote : #3
OH man thanks so much Fanoid. This helps out a TON. I had previously found Importaku's posts at NTSC-UK, and DigitPress, but I could never find the link to his latest guide. All of the older links were busted.

This will help me and Starwalker out a lot when getting into the game. Thanks!

Though, believe it or not I figured out a lot of stuff on my own via just trial and error. That is how good this game is setup from a design standpoint.
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:00 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
I've seen the guide before, i probably have a link saved in the backup DVD (had to format the PC some time ago,so saved all in a DVD). Soon i was going to search for all the things I've found about Homeland and post here. But this guide is Great, it looks like I has most of the things we need to know. Things will be much easier (well if we can display japanese properly that is)...Thx fanoid for the link.
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:03 am
quote : #5
What I hope to do, is bridge the gap. So not only make a translation for more of the Japanese in the game, but also a reference point for the ASCII character options in the game, versus the Japanese text. I do NOT expect everyone to start spending 200.00 on japanese gamecubes. It is not going to happen. Most people looking to explore homeland will go for the cheapest route, which involves Freeloader.
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:44 pm
quote : #6
Indeed! Not many people are willing to buy HomeLand in the first place, so of course we can't expect people to buy a Japanses GC "just" for that. But hopefully I can help you make a translation. Though most of the job is already done I hope we can complete it Smile and be able to play online someday. (though i think it need at least 2 people to play online not counting the person that is the GOD).
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:06 pm
quote : #7
Importaku's guide is very good. However there is still quite a bit missing, and we will have to create translated guide references for both an ASCII text display and Japanese text display.

I want to do a more thorough translation process. For intance on the network test screen. The text that is displayed could be translated. Plus he hasn't even experimented with GOD mode, and that is a completly different project right there.
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:42 am
quote : #8
I must say that the ASCII code is a bit scary at first, probably more than the Japanese characters heh. I was trying to name my Character and the letter I was choosing appeared different, only then I remembered that probably was because of the text problem displayed in EU/US consoles using Freeloader. Also the ASCII characters sometimes are displayed outside the conversation balloons and it seems some goes out of the screen...heh. But in fact either way most people would not understand both languages so this is not a bit problem, if we can make a guide for the ASCII “language” too. Though it will not be easy…

The good thing, like lordnikon said is that the game uses a colour scheme for the options which makes things easier. It will be interesting to explore this game. Shame this game was not released in Europe or US, etc…

We western people mostly have had very bad luck with the online gaming for GameCube, not is only both versions of PSO the only games online (and not for long), the only other title that can be played was not released and its one of those games that freeloader don’t display the text well.