Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:13 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just found out this morning. Phantasy Star Online will be terminated world-wide on March 31st, 2007. This will impact not only the Dreamcast versions of PSO, but GameCube PSO episode 1&2, as well as episode 3. The termination is not specific to Japan, it will be a worldwide server termination. Sonic Team specifically notes this on the news listing. This is a crushing blow to the OC community as a whole and OnlineConsole gaming at large.

Let me first say: Please do not panic.

There are multiple alternative server options available. I will be taking steps to ensure that members of OC have a place to play legit, uncompromised Phantasy Star Online.

Until then please enjoy Phantasy Star Online, and take advantage of any official holiday events while you still can.

I will obviously have more to say about this down the road, but for right now I need to collect my thoughts. One thing I will say, is that we have fewer games to worry about as time goes on. PSO going officially offline was inevitable. The one good thing that comes from games being terminated is no more stress and worrying about when the game is going to go offline. Atleast now we know, and can make preparations for the future.

You can read the official news posting at the Dreamcast JPN PSO news page here:
http://pso.dricas.ne.jp/pso_dricas.html

(Note: The Xbox version and PSOBB for the PC will be remaining online. However since these do not pertain to the systems covered here at OnlineConsoles, please do not discuss them on the OC forums. Thank you.)

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:25 am
quote : #2
I read somewhere that the Sonic Team servers will be going free for the last month, which is March. I connected to them a few days ago and was told that I could not play due to not having a hunter's license. However, I just connected to them earlier today, was greeted with the message "Your Hunter's License will expire on January 24h, 2004 [has it really been that long?]" and then allowed to play. The US ships had, literally, no one on them, EU had maybe 5 players, and JP had about 28. Are the servers already free?

Also, what's with the /B ships? I noticed that Deneb and Antares (I think) were labeled as US/Deneb/B and US/Antares/B. There were a few similar EU and JP ships.

Edit: Oh, and when the servers DO go down, I have looked into a few solutions. I currently play on Schthack's PSO servers (not many PSOGC players, though) as well as host my own private PSO server using Fuzziqer's server emulator. Haven't been able to test multiple players on Fuzzi's server though.
Posted:
Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:52 pm
quote : #3
So is the GC version to be discontinued with the DC? And are there back-up methods of playing the Cube version?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:04 pm
quote : #4
Overwatch wrote:
So is the GC version to be discontinued with the DC?

See original post.

Overwatch wrote:
And are there back-up methods of playing the Cube version?

Yes and no, but not open for discussion at the moment.
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:20 pm
quote : #5
I have not played PSO GC for awhile but really want to get online again for the last month and a half.

However when I try to log in and reactivate my account the 'reactivate' option is no longer there - just 'cancel account'????

The admin post on the PSO boards worries me as well - it says 'those of you with active accounts can continue playing until 3/31/07'.

Does this mean those of us with inactive accounts cannot even play for the last free month?

Basically - am i screwed? Sad

I so wanted to get on today for Valentine's PSO, the last holiday event PSO GC and DC will see - and my DC's drive fails on me and my GC I might be screwed on because of an inactive account.

Appreciate any insight anyone can give - lordnikon?

J-Nic
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:54 pm
quote : #6
I don't think it's possible to reactivate your account.

When I tried about a week ago, I went to the official website and logged in. I went to the edit account section and clicked on my serial number to reactivate my account, went through the process and they congratulated me on reactivating it. I went back and clicked on my serial number and it said my account was still inactive. I tried it again about five times but I had no luck.
It just might be too late for you to play PSO online. Crying or Very sad

The sad part was, I only cancelled my account 3 months ago.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:54 pm
quote : #7
nandesuka wrote:
I have not played PSO GC for awhile but really want to get online again for the last month and a half.

However when I try to log in and reactivate my account the 'reactivate' option is no longer there - just 'cancel account'????

The admin post on the PSO boards worries me as well - it says 'those of you with active accounts can continue playing until 3/31/07'.

Does this mean those of us with inactive accounts cannot even play for the last free month?

Basically - am i screwed? Sad

I so wanted to get on today for Valentine's PSO, the last holiday event PSO GC and DC will see - and my DC's drive fails on me and my GC I might be screwed on because of an inactive account.

Appreciate any insight anyone can give - lordnikon?

This has been something I have always been wondering. Whether only those who are currently subscribed get access, or if everyone does. I have not heard anything from Sega, because their handling of this matter has been poor as usual. Sega of America has been so care free about informing the community about events and server changes. They just seem to let people know "when they feel like it". Where in Japan they update information regularly, giving users up to the minute info on any server related problems via their news page.

So far I have no new information about how Hunter's Liscenses will be handled over the next 2 months. The best advice I can give you is to call Sega and stay on the phone until they give you an answer.

Also, the web based HL page has had problems for months. Call them to get your account activated. Someone at Sega should be able to help you.
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:30 pm
quote : #8
Type: PAL
- Here is the official news:

PSO Servers Going Offline

All good things must come to an end and we are near the end of online service for PSO GameCube. We hope you have enjoyed playing as much we enjoyed making the game. As of 2/1/07, we will not accept any new accounts. Those who have active accounts can continue playing until 3/31/07. As a way of saying "thanks!" we are not charging for the final month of service (March).

If you enjoyed playing Phantasy Star Online, we think you should check out Phantasy Star Universe.

Thanks for the good times,

Sonic Team

http://pso.sega.com/community/profiles/pso_gcn/pc_front/gcn_pc_turndown.jhtml

So this makes things clear. Though what is not clear is what about the European Hunters License and billing, because they are still accepting accounts (it seems) since theres no new message there for years, and you can still buy the normal 30 days and still the 90 days period. I bought 1 month a few days after the US announcement. Not sure if the EU will get the March free....

Btw the Valentines are not the last even on both GC and DC. The last will be Easter (if they update on GC) and not sure when is White day.
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:25 am
quote : #9
I knew that this would come eventually. Makes me think back to all the good old times on PSO DC and GCN.

Although I no longer have any interest in playing PSO, I hope that those that still wish to play it find a way to continue their adventures.

Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:46 pm
quote : #10
Type: PAL
It is confirmed and i knew that was going to happen, that the European players didnt get the free month...my Hunters License ended this afternoon at 4pm GMT and after a few minutes i was unable to continue playing. In fact it is still possible to buy in the EU site HL for 30 and 90 days, and no message of termination is there... Rolling Eyes

There were more than 400 Japanese players playing at that moment just for a curiosity. PSO will not be the same when PSO Dreamcast and GameCube version close, because JP people give it a lot of life, and they love to play Challenge mode.
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:46 am
quote : #11
I agree with you there. The huge Challenge mode server was always a bit plus.

Online games going down is such a terrible thing. Companies just don't realise what they are doing. They are crushing social outlets for people to gather, communicate, and interact. We arn't mindless consumers looking to bend over and take it as they pump out a new product every year. Instead of rewarding consumers they simply take away the servers, expecting we are willing going to purchase their next release... only to have it happen all over again. I am completly spent. I can't do it anymore. My motivations to play online games on any other system besides the consoles that OC covers is so low.

I can't really say where the GameCube's future will be in terms of online. It is a discussion for another topic, at another time. However one thing I can say is that I am glad the GameCube version atleast has splitscreen multiplayer so if I really wanted to I could boot up with a friend and conquer challenge mode or do some leveling, i could do this.

I have had fond memories playing PSO online. And at the very least these memories will fuel my passion to continue playing the game offline. I always return to this game, regardless of what other games I am playing. PSO is by far my favorite RPG experence ever.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:41 pm
quote : #12
Although I haven't played PSO in 2 years, it is quite a disappointment to see it go offline. I had never played a game as much as this and it is still my favorite RPG. I don't think there will ever be a game with the same community and atmosphere like PSO.