Topic: New to GC online

Page 1 of 1
Mookmac
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
hey everybody, i just bought a BBA from my local GAME store for 48p so was wondering what sort of use i can get out of it. I know the PSO servers got closed down earlier this year but is there any private servers like there is for the DC version? I do have both the PSO games and would love to play them online on my GC. Any help much appriciated Very Happy

U-235
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:05 am
quote : #2
http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/psoaccess.php

Mookmac
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:23 am
quote : #3
Thanks, i did actually find that page just after posting so sorry that my orginal post makes me look like a lazy noob lol. Thing is i dont really meet any of the requirements so is there any real chance of me being granted access? I understand the rules are to prevent hackers/cheaters etc getting in and i can asure you i'm not one of them (having never previously played PSO online i really have no knowledge of that sort of thing).

U-235
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:32 am
quote : #4
Well keep the posting up and hang around for 6 months. This is just to make sure that people won't be granted access and then never come back, I think. Sure the requirements are a bit steep, but I think that they are good for 2 reasons. 1. it keeps the cheaters out. (you'll find that the other private servers out there not only support cheating and hacking, but encourage it as well) 2. It will actually help strengthen the community with people who are truly interested in playing PSO in a legitimate environment. I'd say hang in there until you meet the requirements and in the meantime, look into getting 1080 Avalanche, Mario Kart Double Dash, or Kirby Air Ride and check into tunneling those titles.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:12 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Tunneling LAN games is not a realistic option until internet bandwidth increases on a global scale. They frame synch and thus churn out 50-60kb/s of data. People just don't have enough upstream to support this. Plus, latency can be greatly affected by geographic location. You would have to find someone within a 100 mile radius to get a good tunneling session going.

Yes the PSO Access requirements are just as you said U-235. They are for keeping out cheaters, but the requirements are also designed to prevent our PSO area from being a pitstop. A lot of people have the tendency to drift through, play a game for a month and then leave never to return. This really is a site for people who want to take the GameCube seriously, and get into the networking functions it does have available. So we are trying to attract those who really are diehard fans, who want to discuss tinkering with the cube's networking functions.

I realise there is a major problem here at the GC site though. The DC site for instance has plenty of other online games to play while waiting to gain access to the PSO area. The GC doesn't really have this because the primary game to play online on the cube is infact PSO. So it puts newcomers in a difficult position.

Be aware that I am making steps to rectify this, and give us some more networking subject matter to discuss. Some new forums will be going up soon for a few different subjects that everyone will be able to partake in.

The best advice I can give for now is to play some offline gamecube games and discuss them in the Lounge. Or maybe import Homeland? It isn't online anymore, but is a very cool game and is a nice little import project if you are looking for a new game experience on cube. Also you could play and discuss the GC LAN games that are available. There are forums here to discuss a variety of things. It is a great little community and interacting here pays off if this is a place you would like to call home.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:59 am
quote : #6
Just to check, you were saying 50-60 kilobytes, right? Not bits? Either way tunneling is a viable option for me as I have a quick uplink speed. But most people aren't that lucky, I know. I happen to be about 1500 ft away from the switch. Mr. Green

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:26 pm
quote : #7
But you are too far away from me. I am always up to try though, but everyone I have ever played with the experience has been very slow. I even tried with someone from Norway once... that was wow... 5fps.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:39 pm
quote : #8
I'd be up for a try. I'm actually looking for Mario Kart Double Dash first. Not much into extreme sports games, and I don't know if I'd like Kirby much.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:57 pm
quote : #9
You would like 1080. It has a big booming voice announcer like an arcade game, and you can unlock a freaking Nintendo Pad to ride on Smile It makes the mario jump when you go up in the air.

The tricks mode is super addictive. There is no weird trick system like in other extreme games. It is more arcade where there are a few movements you can use, and you basically need to get as much air as possible and chain as many in sequence before hitting the ground. I don't like most extreme games, but I love 1080 Avalanche. I think that is because of it's style, flare, and originality. It isn't a sellout game, and is just cool. The game is not really an extreme game per say, but a racing game with extreme themes.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:25 pm
quote : #10
Oh I think I see. Like they took a downhill snowboard race and threw in some tricks with it? I might like that alright, then. I'm really into racing titles, but for me extreme games are kind of like football games. You play one, you've played them all. I'll give 1080 a tryout though.

shoutout33
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:34 pm
quote : #11
I too saw the requirements and though...crap. Confused But man, to play PSO again, as a team, with no cheaters, posers, and/or cry badies...joyness. Besides, six months should be enough time, for me and the Mrs., to get the DLP to enjoy it on anyway. Mr. Green All jokes aside, I wish Nintendo would've done more with the online thing too. Man, the possibilites were endless: Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, any of the really good fighting games, F-Zero (man I would'a loved this...), yeah ok, 1080, WindWaker Online (tell me that wouldn't be a beast!), Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 0 (It might have worked...), Battalion Wars (Man the Big N slept on this one too...). Sigh...well, you get my point. I trully appreciate lordnikon, for all that he is doing with these forums and I will do my best to be more supportive. Smile

My wife's website: www.hieriphany.com
JKKDARK
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:25 am
quote : #12
shoutout33 wrote:
I too saw the requirements and though...crap. Confused But man, to play PSO again, as a team, with no cheaters, posers, and/or cry badies...joyness. Besides, six months should be enough time, for me and the Mrs., to get the DLP to enjoy it on anyway. Mr. Green All jokes aside, I wish Nintendo would've done more with the online thing too. Man, the possibilites were endless: Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, any of the really good fighting games, F-Zero (man I would'a loved this...), yeah ok, 1080, WindWaker Online (tell me that wouldn't be a beast!), Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 0 (It might have worked...), Battalion Wars (Man the Big N slept on this one too...). Sigh...well, you get my point. I trully appreciate lordnikon, for all that he is doing with these forums and I will do my best to be more supportive. Smile

Don't worry, If you are patient and you really want to use your Gamecube for PSO online, you will not miss anything in these six months. This game is online forever.

satoshi
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:41 am
quote : #13
Well, um... hi <_<

I was thinking about getting back into PSO.. I do long for the old days of playing with my FOmar, but after looking at that page and realizing I might have to give him up I thought about joining one of the other communities... The one I am looking at has very few GC players, though. How many people use the OC server and how often are they online?

Also, I am kind of surprised to see some activity here! It is nice to come back, kinda like an old friend's house. Razz

If there are a decent amount of people that play, I would seriously consider starting a new character file just for you guys. It would be fun. How into C-Mode are you guys? I was trying to do C-Mode on one of the other communities just last semester, but it was hard to get a group going. I am currently going to school in Chicago, but my Gamecube+BBA is at home in Detroit. I could probably grab it over Christmas break (just over a month away... oh how the time flies), but no sooner because of exams. Too bad I can't use my Wii to go online with PSO Mad That would just be too convenient, I guess.

Hm.. I guess I'll need to contact someone about fixing that second network jack in my room... my router is ridiculously slow on the school's network for some reason.

So.. yeah. I look forward to a response and hopefully participating in the community again!

Also: Do the OC servers have any download quests up? I remember downloading a bunch last semester but must have deleted them all in an effort to make room for... something... Confused

Edit: I am also online with my JabberID if anyone wants to talk to me, it's satoshi@sugardeath.net
Posted:
Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:38 pm
quote : #14
The number of people actively playing PSO here is very small. Personally I don't think there will ever be enough people to satisfy the average person. This really is a place for true diehards. It is a very small community here at the GC site. People are mainly online during scheduled game sessions.

To play PSO at OC you really do have to have a driven desire to get involved here. If you are just looking to gain access to "see what its all about" or play PSO for a week and leave it again, this place is probobly not for you. I am avoiding adding people to the PSO areas if they seem to be drifters. The only people that gain access are dedicated members who are really into the Dreamcast/GameCube and still play and discuss the systems despite changing shifts in the mainstream gaming market.

I can't tell you how many people have already said they are all interested in getting PSO access, are new members at the site, but only make a few posts and then are gone forever. Just look at the person in the above "shoutout33". He hasn't even logged into the site since October 1st. He was here for a little over a week and then gone.

This is a big reason why there are certain requirements needed to gain access.
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 pm
quote : #15
i just made a new pso character on the GC with hopes of getting into the online consoles pso community. I still really enjoy pso and i want to achieve something i never achieved in the years i have played this game. I want to beat episode 2 on ultimate mode offline.
PSO episode 1 & 2 characters (xbox): (not playing anymore)
rune HUmar: level 122
wren HUcast: level 68
Rune ver2 FOmar: level 69