Page Location: Home > HomeLand > Topic
Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Wed May 16, 2007 6:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
I had so much fun playing HomeLand online in the last days before it closed. The matching server was supposed to close on April 30th, but end up closing almost 1 week later on May 7th at 11:50am in Japan. This extra time was well appreciated for me because this way I was able to enjoy HL online a lot more. We didn’t know when the game would close so I just played the more I could during the time.

I only started playing on April 26th, but I was able to play for more than 30 hours online, and this means real time playing, since the game don’t add the idle time it seems. I experience a lot in the game, saw many different endings, and in the end I knew how to play very well, and do many things. But let’s start with the pictures; I’ll make some descriptions along with the pictures when necessary.

NOTE: I don’t think there are much of spoilers here; I tried to avoid showing much of the game. Like many villages, sections, dungeons and things and chapters that are possible to do offline. So I think it’s safe for everybody to view it and read it. It took me some time to organize all this thread, so would be a shame if no one would see it…

I have always played with Pinokku character, most of the time using “Angel” wings, a type of green helmet and later a green circle amulet.

Saying Hi to all OC members:

This is a picture of the server select screen:

This is an option in the menu that lets you see, the people you have had contact with (by holding hands), where we can see if they are active or not. Also you can use it to teleport to the place where they are. When you stay idle for some minutes the game makes you give an important item to the story if you have it in possession automatically since in many cases there’s only 1 item available for everybody on that server. Also when idle people can grab you if they want and use your powers, etc…to their help. This is very cool, because you can lv up etc, even if not playing for awhile. Depending on chapter and what options people make it can take several hours to end, so this is cool if you always want to be present but have to eat or doing something and back later.

When some events are triggered, no matter where in the world you are, all the people are automatically teleported to that place. This is good because people can be dispersed everywhere in the world and even lost, etc…

Also if you disconnect, or get disconnected from server you can always back, this if people didn’t end the story before, if that happens you still get some points probably depending on your participating. If it’s still available you spawn in some checkpoint but losing all the stuff and level gained before. This may seem bad but with the help of people you can always progress and level up fast. This works this way because the servers work like this:

When the 1st person join a server all starts from scratch, which means nothing is done there; people start with initial equipment and level. The game starts in Quester Hub and only the 1st village is available (Kurotsu). As people starts to explore and advance in the world, more villages became available, etc.., and the story moves on depending on what people do. Everybody that joins a server gets tied to it until the end of a story, no matter when they join and if they left the game, etc. Of course there’s an option before joining a game online that reset it, but you will not gain anything. When a story is completed everybody goes to the flying ship that is the ending hub. After some time everybody is kicked from server and the server restarts all from beginning…

Here are some pictures from a Dark Chapter that is only possible to do online. The world and stories are the same as the offline mode, but some chapters are only possible to do online because it’s needed a certain number of people to unlock it. This is like going into the dark side. You can see a dark symbol above people heads; this means they have turned in to the dark side. In the end instead of the Kamisama appearance like in all other endings, it’s the Demon leader that appears, probably congratulating all for joining his side…heh.

Online there’s an option that let us express some emotions, like sad, happy, surprised, interrogation point, etc…In the picture you can see an exclamation point:

Level 30 (not the maximum lv...) :

A huge hand chain:

Trying to speak some Japanese:

Here you can see the GOD Mode. This lets you create a server for other people to join. It’s possible to speak, help or making things difficult for other people playing. But of course the GOD needs points to do it, so it seems that the GOD gains those points when people progress, or offering…

Finally in the last day (that no one knew it was), I was much more experienced and so was able to do some things alone when everybody was idle and the Japanese’s even let me lead the way in some period, including fighting a mid-boss. They were happy with my job there Smile. It was fun that in my last adventure online our chapter was a Festival that is online only too. There it seems that people is divided in groups, where an animal symbol above our head indicate which one we belong. Or maybe it gives some type of power…At the end a character says who the winners are…What a good way to end HomeLand online ^_^.

I now started my own adventure alone, and it’s nice to explore some things better and enjoying the entire atmosphere of the game. Even though it may not be possible to play online, the game as so much to offer offline; all the world is there at your disposal, and many chapters to be done (only a few were only online). Also there’s an offline exclusive adventure there, with a big story and it’s possible to play with 2 players it seems. The game is not easy of course, because it’s in Japanese (and it only displays Japanese well in a JP console), but it’s so enjoyable to be able to progress in the game…and see a marvelous world and adventure.

Myself playing offline:

Hope you enjoyed reading and watching the pictures. Thank you,

Starwalker

PS: I might have a surprise for all in the future…
rank 3
Posted:
Wed May 23, 2007 10:41 pm
quote : #2
that is so fucking awsome dude now i'm pissed i don't have a modded gamecube Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 7:41 am
quote : #3
You don't need a modded GC to be able to play imports. You just need either a Freeloader or an ActionReplay disc. Wink

But I think there's a problem displaying Japanese text on certain games... (like Home Land).

lanzarlaluna
rank 5
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 2:40 pm
quote : #4
Starwalker, do you have a Japanese Cube?

elph
rank 6
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 4:09 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Or if you're more into hardware:

http://www.phosphors.com/gcn/region%20switch/

Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Thu May 24, 2007 5:24 pm
quote : #6
lanzarlaluna wrote:
Starwalker, do you have a Japanese Cube?

Yes I have...actually it’s a Panasonic Q. HomeLand doesn't display Japanese using Freeloader and Action Replay on a US/EU machine.
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:28 pm
quote : #7
I just have one question about all this: Did your character carry over from server to server (level, stats) or did you begin anew when you joined a new server/current host restarted the game?

Otherwise, great topic, especially with all the visuals.

Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:08 pm
quote : #8
TheMytho wrote:
I just have one question about all this: Did your character carry over from server to server (level, stats) or did you begin anew when you joined a new server/current host restarted the game?

Otherwise, great topic, especially with all the visuals.

Thank you! Smile

Yes, every time we join a new server, all begin anew. Though we gain points (to buy mascots and maybe some other things), and sometimes clothes, every time a story is completed.

It’s nothing like PSO…but it’s not bad as it may sound. It’s a good system.
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:24 am
quote : #9
wow those screen shots look amazing. i wish i could have experienced this game.
PSO episode 1 & 2 characters (xbox): (not playing anymore)
rune HUmar: level 122
wren HUcast: level 68
Rune ver2 FOmar: level 69
elph
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:22 am
quote : #10
Same here. The game looked like a lot of fun... I was saving up the cash to buy it when I found out it was going offline. It still looks interesting, but not as interesting as when it was still an online game.

shoutout33
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:03 pm
quote : #11
I thought that the game was played by using the gamecube as a server. Am I missing something? I mean, does the game still need company or outside servers in order to play online?

My wife's website: www.hieriphany.com
elph
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:44 pm
quote : #12
In order to get games going, you have to connect through the matching server; without a matching server, you can't get the cube into server mode... even if you could, no one would be able to connect to your game.