Topic: How was Sonic Gems??

Page 1 of 1
Gforce
rank 4
Posted:
Fri May 16, 2008 11:03 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm asking this because I saw some youtubeage of Sonic CD in play and that shit had me in serious awe. I next searched it to see what other systems it might be on and I see it is in this collection. Did the game come out good in this collection or were there many problems???

Starwalker
rank 10
Posted:
Fri May 16, 2008 5:43 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Well I only have the Japanese version of it for the GameCube and I must say its great. If you want it most for the Sonic CD game that is my favourite Sonic game I can tell you the conversion is from the PC version and not from the Mega CD/Sega CD. The differences are that the game runs in full screen with no borders and in 60hz; a much better Intro in full screen; the ending is the same but in full screen too without the credits; the music also load a bit faster which is nice when it changes. What I don't like are those loading screens that didn't appear, though they are very brief, and in Time Attack mode you cant just press the 3 buttons to reset the TA and start again, which is very annoying for me since it makes it very slow when we want to restart. But the conversion is really good.

The original Sonic CD has a great music score but only in the JP and EU version since the US has a completely different one and besides 2 or 3 tracks that are good the rest is very repetitive and boring in my opinion of course. All the people that played the game back in 93 with the original JP soundtrack loved it and hate the US ver, but people that played the US version 1st possibly like it and think the JP/EU are not the good that most people think. But thats usual because when people get used to a soundtrack, think the other one is a bit out of place.

In the Sonic Gems game both the US and EU includes the American soundtrack which is a shame. Also they cut the Bare Knuckle games (Streets of Rage). The JP version is perfect in my opinion not only has the best version of Sonic CD available with the original soundtrack also includes the SOR games. If we think the JP version of SoR III is much better than the US/EU we have the perfect pack. I always hated the western version of SoR III and was lucky to get a JP version of the Mega Drive game back in 95 (I think).

The best for you is to get a copy of the JP version of Sonic Gems or has an alternative the original EU version of Sonic CD for the Mega CD.
rank 4
Posted:
Sat May 17, 2008 11:01 pm
quote : #3
Smile Starwalker, thank you VERY much for the in depth breakdown. I'm really a nut for all types of music, including good game music, and I believe I'd like to get my hands on the JP version of this collection. For now though, I'll try to get the American version and then search out the JP version later on. It'll be interesting to compare soundtracks but even moreso to just finally experience Sonic CD.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 7
Posted:
Sun May 18, 2008 12:08 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
I had no idea the EU and JP sonic cd had different soundtracks. I think I'm going to try to track one of those down. I thought the US sonic CD had an ok soundtrack but could have been better.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun May 18, 2008 1:42 am
quote : #5
Getting both the Japanese and US versions of the Sonic Gemz Collection is worth it in my opinion. Each release has different bonus games. I believe the US release has Vectorman and Comix Zone while the Japanese release has Bare Knuckle 1-3. They could not include the Streets of Rage games on the US release because it would force them to bump it up to a Teen rating. (Lame move)

As for the soundtrack differences between Sonic CD, the US versions soundtrack is still great. The japanese soundtrack is simply a lot better.

I only own the US version. Still trying to trackdown the import. (Which reminds me... *goes hunting on yahoo japan*)
rank 3
Posted:
Sun May 25, 2008 4:48 pm
quote : #6
The japanese version of sonic gems has both vecorman titles, all 3 bare knuckle titles, bonanza bros.

It dosent have comix zone as that was in the previous mega collection.
Posted:
Sun May 25, 2008 4:51 pm
quote : #7
Yea I have things mixed up then. What titles were added to the US release of Sonic Gems, that wern't in the Japanese release? Is that not the case then? Is the only difference that the Japanese release has the Bare Knuckle games and the US version does not?

My Sonic Gems is still sitting here sealed. I havn't had time to boot it up yet (I own an ridiculious number of games).
rank 3
Posted:
Sun May 25, 2008 5:49 pm
quote : #8
I dont think any extra titles were added to the usa version, they just took some of them out.

btw i have an extensive library of save files from my jpn games so if you want my jpn save for sonic gems so you dont have to spend months unlocking all the hidden content just ask.
Posted:
Sun May 25, 2008 5:59 pm
quote : #9
I plan on playing through every game to unlock everything. They are all great games, so its worth playing through them all Wink
rank 4
Posted:
Tue May 27, 2008 8:58 am
quote : #10
importaku wrote:
The japanese version of sonic gems has both vecorman titles, all 3 bare knuckle titles, bonanza bros.

It dosent have comix zone as that was in the previous mega collection.

Lol, thats the fun part of it my dude. Smile

....What the hell? My reply to that quote makes no sense.