Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Just using mario here as an example.

Have read on this forum a few times before that Gamecube games being tunnled will get better as time goes on and BB speeds get higher. What kind of speeds are we talking about as fast enough for acceptable games to be played? I already have 20mb BB and will have 50mb broadband avaialbe to me in the near furture. I may even get the 50mb BB for free if my provider just highers all the packages which they have done in the past.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:36 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Like maybe 10-20 years from now when they completly revamp the infrastructure of the Internet.

The LAN games simply are not viable for play online right now. Even if you manage to get on some major bandwidth, the odds of anyone else getting that type of bandwidth are slim. So any community surrounding it would take a long time to blossom.

Really these games are just for LAN.

I tried tunneling this game with someone from Norway before. The game ran at about 2-5 frames per second. The best I have ever gotten it to run is maybe 20 frames per second tunneled.

The games probobly use about 60-80 kb/s of upstream. They are also dependent on geography. So the farther you are away from someone the worse the performance is going to be.

So, theoretically if someone lifed 4 blocks away from you, and you each had T1 lines, then yea you could play the GC LAN games online at full speed.
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:07 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
Like maybe 10-20 years from now when they completly revamp the infrastructure of the Internet.

The LAN games simply are not viable for play online right now. Even if you manage to get on some major bandwidth, the odds of anyone else getting that type of bandwidth are slim. So any community surrounding it would take a long time to blossom.

Really these games are just for LAN.

I tried tunneling this game with someone from Norway before. The game ran at about 2-5 frames per second. The best I have ever gotten it to run is maybe 20 frames per second tunneled.

The games probobly use about 60-80 kb/s of upstream. They are also dependent on geography. So the farther you are away from someone the worse the performance is going to be.

So, theoretically if someone lifed 4 blocks away from you, and you each had T1 lines, then yea you could play the GC LAN games online at full speed.

Thanks for the information again.

Maybe later on down the line its possible I can test this with Segadreamcaster if he is up for it. We live around 7-10 miles apart both use the same ISP and could possibly have 50mb of BB each. Would be interesting to see what the performance rates are like under those conditions. The good thing is I am interested in the lan games anyway as games to play offline so I wont be wasteing money Very Happy