Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:58 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
gary_b wrote:
Blast wrote:

Seems that £31 is not going to be far off the average price here sadly Sad About 3 just came up on ebay with auction and buy it now of 29.99. I put them on watch but all went at the 29.99 in around 24 hours. Theres one on auction does not end for 6 odd days though and one with PSO 1+2. No hope of getting one in a second hand shop in UK pal territory either. May just have to pay up for this one its the missing piece in my jigsaw.

Laters
you could always go with the modem. it sells for about half the price pf the BBA.

Not an option. I have a Broadband monthly plan not a dial up monthly plan. Currently I rack up about £15 a month playing Dreamcast online by dial up as I dont have a pc dc server working yet so anymore is just not welcome. NO free ISP's here in the UK you pay for all of them.

Laters

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:18 pm
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
i cant blame ya for not wanting to pay more. thats kinda the same reason i went with the BBA. i can use a free isp but who knows how long thats going to last.

Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:45 am
quote : #18
I scored a BBA for £23 posted from Canada, thats about £6 or $12 less than I would have paid here Mr. Green

Laters

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:40 am
quote : #19
my shiny brand new BBA just arrived today Very Happy i called on a game to use with it and no luck on that yet. but i believe i will have it later today as well.

lordnikon wrote:
Blast wrote:
Gamecube vga cable or box: cant find any
Universal VGA box: Around £25

A gamecube VGA Box does not exist. If you want to render the GameCube on a PC monitor you need to do this with a component to VGA converter and run the game in 480p progressive scan. The game needs to support this, and your GameCube console needs to have a digital A/V out port (later, models had this removed).

what is the VGA box HOBOFREAK posted? heres the same product
is this some cheap conversion using the standard cables instead of directly plugging into the cube to monitor? they don't say much on the listing so i,m confused. it does say 4x graphics but that doesn't tell me much. and who knows it could suffer from a heavy delay .

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 am
quote : #20
All that is, is something that converts a composite (yellow cable) signal, to VGA. Do NOT buy products that do this. They are a waste of money, and the picture looks horrible. It looks like you are rendering the gamecube through a compressed youtube video in realtime.

You need to buy a component to VGA converter.
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:28 pm
quote : #21
while i was in the game shops today i looked for cube hardware. adapter memory cards and cables. i ended up confused and needing questions answered and i got no answers out of the clerks.

i saw a gameboy player for $25 i have two questions about this. can i play normal gameboy games on it? and is this a good price? i did check ebay and i see some for $29.99 plus shipping

the 2nt thing i saw was the gameboy advance to cube link cable. it was only $5 but i don't know if it can be used with the SP or not? all i do know for sure is i cant use it with my micro.

they had a bunch of S video cables but i have no idea how much this will improve the look of my games?

finally the last thing i seen. a massive memory card. it is clearly made for the wii. but he says it will work for the cube too. it had over 1,000 blocks on it. are these things any good?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:56 pm
quote : #22
gary_b wrote:
while i was in the game shops today i looked for cube hardware. adapter memory cards and cables. i ended up confused and needing questions answered and i got no answers out of the clerks.

Yea I would never ask them for advice on technical stuff. You were smart to come back here to OC for advice. Often times those people will steer you in the wrong direction. They are clueless.

gary_b wrote:
i saw a gameboy player for $25 i have two questions about this. can i play normal gameboy games on it? and is this a good price? i did check ebay and i see some for $29.99 plus shipping

On the GameBoy Player, you can play the following formats:

• GameBoy
  • GameBoy Color
  • GameBoy Advance

gary_b wrote:
the 2nt thing i saw was the gameboy advance to cube link cable. it was only $5 but i don't know if it can be used with the SP or not? all i do know for sure is i cant use it with my micro.

The link cable is compatible with the original GBA, the GBA SP, and oddly enough the GameBoy Player. Though to use the GameBoy Player in this fashion you would need a dedicated gamecube with a GB Player to link to another seperate cube or GBA.

gary_b wrote:
they had a bunch of S video cables but i have no idea how much this will improve the look of my games?

S-Video cables are a mine field for the GameCube. So far the only ones I know that work are the official nintendo s-video cables (which I have only seen sold in Japan), and the MadCatz 3 system s-video cable that supports the GC, PS2, & Xbox. These are the ones I have. They have translucent cabling.

There are a huge number of black generic s-video cables out there for the cube that look like complete garbage. They are defective or use cheap parts. I have purchased one set at gamestop like 4 years ago, and the another off play-asia, and both yielded the same exact really horrible filtering effect. Its not a proper s-video signal. It renders the graphics with some sort of hexagonal filter, and it fucks up the graphics making them look all blocky. It is hard to describe, but you will know it when you see it.

If your TV supports s-video, going with an s-video cable for GC will be a huge upgrade in visuals over composite.

Though like I said, most of the cables out there for the cube are garbage. I need more GC cables. So I will most likely be a guinnie pig for you guys and order a few different ones and give you a heads up.

gary_b wrote:
finally the last thing i seen. a massive memory card. it is clearly made for the wii. but he says it will work for the cube too. it had over 1,000 blocks on it. are these things any good?

There is an official nintendo memory card, called the Nintendo 1019. It is white. It was not made for another system, but designed for the GameCube and released so far only in GameCube branded packaging.
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:14 pm
quote : #23
lordnikon wrote:

On the GameBoy Player, you can play the following formats:

• GameBoy
  • GameBoy Color
  • GameBoy Advance

i thought so but wasn't sure. he had a copy of Kirby's dreamland for gameboy. i was thinking of getting them both. but i was not gonna get the player unless i knew for sure the old game would work with it.

lordnikon wrote:
The link cable is compatible with the original GBA, the GBA SP, and oddly enough the GameBoy Player. Though to use the GameBoy Player in this fashion you would need a dedicated gamecube with a GB Player to link to another seperate cube or GBA.
it is good that i can use the SP as well as the advance. i broke my advance trying to mod it. but i can barrow both the advance and SP for what i am wanting to do. i still have my micro for advance games but it looks like if i want to play older ones i should just buy the gameboy player.

lordnikon wrote:
There is an official nintendo memory card, called the Nintendo 1019. It is white. It was not made for another system, but designed for the GameCube and released so far only in GameCube branded packaging.
i see so he was write about it working on the cube. i saw that it was white and it made me think it was made after the cube was dead. when i went in i asked for official memory cards. he said they didn't have any and then he showed me that one. so is there a 3rd party white 1019 too? or is this thing official after all?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:32 pm
quote : #24
The card should look exactly like this:

rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 pm
quote : #25
i cant say for sure if thats it or not. i will have to go back and see. if it is this card will it have corruption issues. like the 3rd party massive cards?

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:36 pm
quote : #26
No, the 1019 shouldn't have any corruption issues. The first party cards are pretty reliable. The ones I wouldn't bother with are the cheap-o third party cards that promise "MASSIVE 32MBs of STORAGE!" like you pointed out. Only thing these cards are good for are PSO snapshots.

If your TV supports it, try to look for the component cables. You don't need a TV capable of progressive scan to see the difference. These things run pretty high on eBay, so scoring one for $20 is quite a coup. Wink

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:44 pm
quote : #27
TheMytho wrote:
No, the 1019 shouldn't have any corruption issues. The first party cards are pretty reliable. The ones I wouldn't bother with are the cheap-o third party cards that promise "MASSIVE 32MBs of STORAGE!" like you pointed out. Only thing these cards are good for are PSO snapshots.
it turned out to be a madcats 1019.

i also went back and got that s video cable. it looked to be pretty well made for a 3rd party cable. it has gold ends on it and looks heavy duty. and it indeed has made the picture more crisp. bye bye blurs lol.

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:55 pm
quote : #28
gary_b wrote:
it turned out to be a madcats 1019.

Yuck, stay away then unless it's $5 and you want to take some pictures on PSO.

gary_b wrote:
i also went back and got that s video cable. it looked to be pretty well made for a 3rd party cable. it has gold ends on it and looks heavy duty. and it indeed has made the picture more crisp. bye bye blurs lol.

Awesome. You will start to appreciate the increase in detail as you play more games on S-Video. Going from composite to S-Video is a big step. On the flip side, if you are ever at a friend's house who is still running regular composite, the picture is going to look like it is smeared in Vaseline. Crying or Very sad