Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:31 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
If you don't know, Dead Phoenix was a game that was announced with the Capcom 5. The 5 games Capcom Announced for the Nintendo GameCube. Well this game got halted, and then most likely canceled. In 2003 Capcom said they simply didn't have anything new to show on the game, but now it is pretty safe to assume the development on the title has been halted.

I have mixed reactions about this game. On one hand I felt this game would have added a much needed boost to the 3D shooter genre. However...

Dead Phoenix was basically Panzer Dragoon with free roaming flight.

The screenshots really do make the game look like a pseudo clone of Panzer Dragoon, especially this one.

Regardless, I still would have liked to see this game released.
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:22 am
quote : #2
Panzer Dragoon was for saturn, right?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:11 am
quote : #3
Yes Panzer Dragoon was originally developed for and released on the Saturn. In many respects even Panzer Dragoon at the time was a new take on another sega franchise which came before it, Space Harrier. Even later on a new Space Harrier game went to arcades called "Planet Harriers" which was much more like Panzer Dragoon.

It is hard to make a rail shooter and not have it be like other rail shooters, however, with Dead Phoenix the fact that the lead character has wings, really makes it stand out as Panzer Dragoon-esque.
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:05 pm
quote : #4
Panzer Dragoon Orta was also released on the Xbox.
PSO episode 1 & 2 characters (xbox): (not playing anymore)
rune HUmar: level 122
wren HUcast: level 68
Rune ver2 FOmar: level 69
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:37 pm
quote : #5
Well yea it was released on a lot of systems...Xbox...PC....PS2...Game Gear... etc etc...
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:32 pm
quote : #6
what were the other capcom 5 games? i kno resi 4 and killer7 were, what were the others?

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:22 pm
quote : #7
mcmonkey wrote:
what were the other capcom 5 games? i kno resi 4 and killer7 were, what were the others?

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Killer 7
3. Dead Phoenix (canceled, of course)
4. Viewtiful Joe
5. P.N. 03

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:12 am
quote : #8
I had 2 major dissapointments with the Capcom 5. I was sad that Dead Phoenix never made it out, making these games the Capcom 4. I was sad that Viewtiful Joe turned into a cash cow franchise.

In the end though I was satisfied with the results of this experiment. With all of the unique games Capcom has come out with, they are in my eyes the new "Sega" like that of the Dreamcast days. The sheer number of titles they have come out with that are fresh and new franchises is just like the wave of titles we saw on the DC.

I was also very happy that P.N.03 remained on the GameCube. Maybe because I love the cube and love P.N.03 and see the 2 as a perfect match. Especially with the huge green A button which makes the cubes controller a somewhat hybrid arcade controller. Which is perfect for P.N.03
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:29 am
quote : #9
It seems as if capcom can afford to create new franchises and the like,

I think that this partly due to the money pony that is street fighter (and the resi series to an extent)

(i adored Killer 7, it reminded me of the abstract "what the fuck"ism that was Twin Peaks, but only in Video Game form).

Overwatch
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:03 pm
quote : #10
I remember seeing a article about Dead Phoenix in a old Game Informer. It was one of the reasons i got a gc. Its a shame that it was canceled, more games should be on rails like panzer dragoon and starfox.

P.S. is P.N.O3 any good and whats it like?

Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:36 pm
quote : #11
maybe Capcom decided between which shooting game was going to stay, since PN03 and Dead Phoenix both have this in common. Dead Phoenix was an air-based shooter, maybe something typical looking, too Panzer Dragoon-ish or something not as unique coming from the 5. RE4 turned out great, Viewtiful Joe certainly stood out with its style, Killer 7 as well, PN03 makes it out of the crowd because it's different, has a cool leading character with great animations and nice control scheme and such, being designed by shinji mikami, etc.. so Capcom said, well RE 4 is costing us a lot of money and we need to cut some fat around here. :p in other words, it was probably a budget/quality issue.

I have no idea, but I wish they would have released Dead Phoenix evenually, because even Killer 7 took longer than expected in development time as i recall, so there was always hope.

Quote:
I was also very happy that P.N.03 remained on the GameCube. Maybe because I love the cube and love P.N.03 and see the 2 as a perfect match. Especially with the huge green A button which makes the cubes controller a somewhat hybrid arcade controller. Which is perfect for P.N.03

and i agree with this completely, PN03 and GC are a perfect match.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:47 pm
quote : #12
After reviewing this game again, I think I understand why they decided to cancel it. Dead Phoenix really pushes the limits as to what the GameCube can do with regards to draw distance and scale. The towns and architecture is very very low poly, and the bosses look like a PC or Dreamcast game from the year 2000. Which I have no problem with personally. I actually enjoy low poly graphics. However when the game is straddling this edge between graphical fidelity and framerate performance, it starts to limit what you can do. I think Dead Phoenix may have been too ambitious of a project. They were trying to do to much.

What they needed to do, was narrow the draw distance and use more enclosed cavernous areas. A great example of this is the Metroid Prime games. Metroid Prime manages to run at 60fps with insanely detailed environments because each room is very clostrophobic and small. They cut down the draw distance to a bare minimum, which results in a huge performance boost.

I think given the high quality and performance of all of the other games in the Capcom 5, they felt that Dead Phoenix simply didn't fit in with these other games, and decided to drop it. I still would have loved to see Dead Phoenix come to the market though, it just needed a lot more polish and tweaking.

---

[ Note: I technically violated our forum rules with where I took this topic back in 2006 by bringing up Panzer Dragoon, and talking about other consoles. I am going to leave this thread up for discussion. I think as long as we focus on Dead Phoenix and the gamecube, and keep references to Panzer Dragoon to a minimum, this thread will be fine. Thanks all. -nikon ]
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:44 pm
quote : #13
maybe a better comparison would be to another GC game called Dragon Drive. Dead Phoenix and Dragon Drive have what seems to be similar gameplay - free-flying shooter mechanics for the both of them.