Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:44 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
do accessories like the gameboy player, controllers and memory cards work with all Gamecube region formats? i guess i was specifically wondering about the memory cards and if i could save japanese game data on a u.s. memory card and vice versa. however, im also curious about the gameboy player. i think controllers would work though.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 am
quote : #2
It is sort of a mish mash. Like peripherals will work on any region console, however to use a JP GameBoy Player on a US console, you would need a US GameBoy Player startup disc. Things like network adapters can work on any region console, as well as various cables.

Memory Cards unfortunatly are locked to region type. So you cannot mix and match US or JP game saves on a single memory card. They have to be seperated onto different cards, and if you place say a memory card that has been formatted for a Japanese console in a US console it will give you a "do you want to format this memory card" prompt.
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
Memory Cards unfortunately are locked to region type. So you cannot mix and match US or JP game saves on a single memory card. They have to be separated onto different cards, and if you place say a memory card that has been formatted for a Japanese console in a US console it will give you a "do you want to format this memory card" prompt.

Just to clarify a little bit: although you can't have Japanese and US saves on the same memory card, the memory card hardware is not different between the two countries, and so they are interchangeable. You just need to make sure you don't try using a Japanese-formatted memory card in a US console or vice-versa.

Another thing to note is that PAL RGB cables don't work on JPN or US Gamecubes... only composite or s-video (or component if you have digital a/v port).