Page 1 of 1
mazonemayu
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
is it worth getting a vgabox for playing a monitor with your cube? I mean does it make a big difference (like with the dreamcast) in the quality of the image?

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:55 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
idk much about progressive scan on cube. for more information and OC forum members thoughts go here

I'm happy with S-Video for now

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:58 am
quote : #3
To play the gamecube in VGA you need to buy a Component to VGA transcoder, which is like a VGA box for converting Component signals to VGA. You can get these on play-asia but they run around 70-80 dollars. Also, GC component cables will cost about 45-60.

I actually have this hardware and have played GC games via VGA in this method. It is not true VGA, but very close. I would say 90-95% of the picture quality you could get with a PC game in 640x480 or the DC in VGA.

If you have your gamecube hooked up to an SDTV via S-Video or SCART (which I beleive is the best SD display connection for PAL regions?), then I would stick with that. I would only go with VGA for the cube if you are in a position where you simply cannot run your cube on a standard definition TV.

If it were a cheap 25.00 solution like it typically is for buying a DC VGA box I would say go for it. However here you are looking at an investment of almost 130-150 dollars for a GC VGA solution. So I would tred carefully here as to which route you take.
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:19 pm
quote : #4
well, thing is I only have my monitor to hook it up to since my tv is: 1) very old & 2) it has my gf glued to it most of the time Mr. Green

on the good side, I got a 22" lcd monitor for my pc & dc (I bought one that supports low res, specially for my dc needs) with kvm, so I thought of hooking my gc to it as well

I found one of those Innovation gc/xbox vga boxes on ebay, for a few bucks (25), but I really dunno if its any good

http://www.viewonline.com/pages/articles/innovationgcvga.htm

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:37 pm
quote : #5
Avoid the Innovation. It is not a true VGA box. Your signal will render on the screen like some super compressed mpeg video. It will look HORRIBLE. It wants to take composite and show that as VGA. Do. Not. Buy.

The only way is like I said, with a transcoder and the GC component cables.

Here are the VGA transcoders:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-49-en-70-2tw6.html

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de-49-en-70-2b90.html

The first one is the most recent model, and has a crude 480i mode simply for aiding in the configuration process for progressive scan. I have the second model as that was released first, and if I recall correctly the cube will not switch to progressive unless you have a component cable attached to the system. I recommend getting the newer model, even though it is more expensive. Its worth it so you don't have to dick around with setting the progressive mode blind.

Also be sure your gamecube has a digital A/V port! Recent models had this port removed.
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:07 am
quote : #6
thx nikon, that'll be the one to get then, could you also give me a link for the component cable? (just so that I don't buy anything wrong Wink )

btw, my cube has the digital port as well

here's a pic of the cable that came with my cube, what it this then?

Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:45 am
quote : #7
that's the standard audio/video cable for your standard video signal (stereo sound, composite video). official digital component cables were sold only through nintendo i believe.

mazonemayu
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:41 am
quote : #8
ah IC, I believe this is it then?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-24-49-en-70-14s.html

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:47 am
quote : #9
Yea that is exactly what you need. The GameCube component cable with the Red, Green, and Blue connectors. Do note that Audio still travels through the standard A/V port. So you will still need your other cable as well.
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:39 am
quote : #10
ok, so now Ithink I've lost you again Laughing

if I understand correctly, the component cable goes from the left port > vgabox > monitor, and the AV cable that came with it, goes from the right port > where?? to the vgabox for audio, or to my surround or similar audio device?

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:34 am
quote : #11
mazonemayu wrote:
the AV cable that came with it, goes from the right port > where? to my surround or similar audio device?

yes you hook the white and red cords of the AV cable to your audio device as your normally would. the component cable is only for video.

mazonemayu
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:52 am
quote : #12
ok, thx guys

/me writes a quick letter to st nick Mr. Green