Page 1 of 1
lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:16 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I finally got a working snes controller off ebay and played my snes for the first time. I played fzero for a little bit. It is really cool to see the beginning of the series. It reminds me a lot of the gba fzero games.

I also played killer instinct for a few mins. I need to look at the manual online to learn how the fighting works, but it is really cool to finally play this. My first game ever was killer instinct on gb, so this will be very interesting for me to play.
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:06 am
quote : #2
that's awesome man. super nintendo is an amazing console with great sound. if you have s-video cables, it works on SNES, N64 and Gamecube so you can get great picture quality too.

i loved f-zero. i used to play that all the time along with super mario world and darius twin at my grandparents house when i was younger. i'm not sure i played killer instinct too much on snes but certainly on N64 i did (killer instinct gold which is basically the home version of killer instinct 2 from the arcade).

all in all, a great start! hope you have lots of fun Mr. Green

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:22 am
quote : #3
Fzero on snes is fun, but fzero gx has spoiled me. Yea the music in the games sound really cool, and I like the graphic style on the snes. It was also refreshing to be able to have the cartridges work the first time after playing nes so much. I was first yanking out the cartridges because I did not notice the eject button lol, putting that in was smart.
Gforce
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:50 pm
quote : #4
Haha, I remember when I first got a SNES of my own. While everyone was busy flipping out over the PS1, I was in awe at the graphics in Donkey Kong Country.

gRiMgRaVy014
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:12 am
quote : #5
I want to get my hands on a SNES, soo many games I could enjoy through that console.

Playing the roms just isn't the same, you aren't holding the same controller.

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:15 pm
quote : #6
Yea as easy as it would be to get a shitload of nes and snes roms I wouldnt enjoy playing them like that as much.
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:13 pm
quote : #7
it's a completely different experience playing the real thing. i've played roms and it's just not the same no matter how accurate they seem to be. i've noticed with myself at least, it's not just the games that take me back, but everything about the time during which the game was released. there's absolutely no substitution for the real thing. i enjoy the cartridges and the labels, that familiar gray plastic and all.

as i mentioned in another post though, failing battery life inside of the cartridges is the only thing that makes roms worth the time.

i can't recall when i got my first SNES system, but i can bet you it was a magical day for me. i loved walking into Toys R Us and seeing so many games. before i got my own system, my grandfather actually bought one with super mario world and f-zero. we went out and i remember getting a racing game and darius twin. of course the games and console stayed over at my grandparents house, but you can imagine i was spending the night over there quite often Laughing . that's where my obsession began with the SNES. i had a genesis and i was extremely happy with that, but the super nintendo games seemed to burst with color and better sound.

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:00 am
quote : #8
lol so your grandpa kept it at his house to lure you over? And yea that sucks with how the batteries fail in old cartridge games. I am guessing this will eventually happen with gba games too then?
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:38 am
quote : #9
i'm not entirely sure about gba carts, but if they use any kind of battery, it will eventually die. i've never thought too much about gba carts. they must have really small batteries though Confused

TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:59 pm
quote : #10
Glad to hear you are enjoying the SNES lazybum. It's encouraging to see someone actively seeking out and enjoying the actual system and games instead of taking the easy way out through ROMs and emulation.

Don't get too discouraged over Killer Instinct. That game is extremely deep. You would probably appreciate the SNES Advantage arcade stick for that title. Those run anywhere from $15-25. I have not yet used an Advantage stick, but I have heard they are pretty solid.

Keep us posted as you continue to play.

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:11 pm
quote : #11
Yea, I haven't had a chance to play my snes again yet. Part of the reason is that I have only one set of composite cables for my gc and snes. So, I have to unlplug it from my gc when I want to play the snes. I will buy another pair tho. Plus, I have my snes in the corner of my room in a bag since I haven''t figured out where I would put it yet.

Ah, did not know there was a snes advantage controller. I have the nes advantage and it works great. Hmm... if it is really only 15-20 bucks to pick up one I will do that too, so I can use it to play gba games on my game boy player. I was originally thinking about buying a nes controller adapter for gc but they run around 30 dollars. I already have bought the snes controller adpater for the gc though.

Yea, I like having the actual systems. I will keep getting older systems too. I have no sega systems now, but plan to get all of them. I do not think I will search out consoles before the nes era, but if I see them cheap somewhere might even get those. I will let you guys know my impressions when I get to play some snes again.