Page Location: Home > Support > OC Site Support > Topic
lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Sun May 17, 2009 3:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was wondering about this for awhile but tested it today. If I am the last poster in a thread, and I make a new post in that thread (not just editing it) It sticks that new post onto my last post in the thread like it was only an edit to the old post. I had someone check the thread once, then again after I made a new post, and the thread did not show up as having a new post for him. This means no one would know a new post was made in the thread and would not ever see it probably. So, would be cool in this situation if it showed as a new post so people could find it.
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed May 20, 2009 3:11 am
quote : #2
Yea this is an anti-double post mod. It prevents topic bumping. I have been contemplating removing the mod, but at the same time, it is there for a reason. People feel the need to "bump" topics with unecessary text to get noticed. I may disable it for a period of time to test the waters, but may also have to revert back to it if things get out of hand.
rank 10
Posted:
Wed May 20, 2009 3:35 am
quote : #3
Ah, yea because like for that 3-1 controller adapter I was going to place it in another thread I had already started about other gc controller adapters if it weren't for this, but I can see how this could be useful.
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Wed May 20, 2009 7:10 pm
quote : #4
i think double posting to bump a topic for relevant reasons is not a bad idea. there were times i found a thread with new information but topics can stay buried without a double post. i can understand the possibility of it being abused so i think a trial period is ok. the number of users in the gamecube area is somewhat small so i dont expect any problems though.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu May 21, 2009 5:08 am
quote : #5
Realize that when the website restricts users actions automatically, it has much less of a negative impact on the community than when I have to run after people saying "hey stop this, hey stop this, hey stop this". It doesn't matter if my reasons for sending admin notices are logical. People see them as if they are getting in trouble, no matter how much I try to be super nice and say they are just information to help the community. So I try to whenever possible add a feature to the site that enforces something without me having to send admin notices and remind people about site policy.

I can't make it a GC site specific change. It would have to be site wide. Right now I don't have to send out admin notices for this. Disabling the anti-double post feature would mean I would be sending out a flurry of admin notices regularly. I have thought this over and I simply cannot disable the mod. Instead I think I will setup a feature so that when users really really really need to reply to a thread and they are the last poster, they can contact me and I will reply to it so users can post to it again.
rank 10
Posted:
Thu May 21, 2009 5:18 am
quote : #6
Ah well yea, that would solve the problem then if you added that feature to contact you about it. I have only ever felt the need to double post 2 or 3 times, but those times the double post was so insanely related to the thread that I felt bad starting a new one lol.
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Fri May 22, 2009 6:07 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
I have thought this over and I simply cannot disable the mod. Instead I think I will setup a feature so that when users really really really need to reply to a thread and they are the last poster, they can contact me and I will reply to it so users can post to it again.

i think this is reasonable and fair since the need isn't always imperative. good choice!

lazybum wrote:
I have only ever felt the need to double post 2 or 3 times, but those times the double post was so insanely related to the thread that I felt bad starting a new one lol.

yea i agree here. it's not happened a lot but when something is very much related to the topic at hand, it's nice to get the discussion going again.