Topic: Wavebird Issues...

Page 1 of 1
shoutout33
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:43 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Trying to figure out what's going on with my Wavebird controller, hoping I can fix the problem before buying a brand new controller. It powers up with now problems, but for some reason, when you get any type of selection screen, it scrolls automatically non-stop. If you old the stick, it'll stop, but it'll start back up when you let go. Another thing to. The receiver's light that shows it's getting a signal, stays on! So, I wandering if it's a controller problem or a receiver problem. Many thanks in advance any help you guys/gals can give.

My wife's website: www.hieriphany.com
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:51 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
On a normal controller that will happen if the stick is slightly off center when you first power it on. Hopefully you've already tried it but, make sure your wavebird stick is not off-center when you turn it on (meaning don't touch it Smile)

If that doesn't solve the problem, then the wavebird is probably sending a constant signal saying the stick is being pressed in one direction or another. If you have the tools to open the controller, you could try cleaning it and looking for obvious physical problems.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:54 pm
quote : #3
So the GameCube does a controller calibration check in the background when first turned on?
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:30 pm
quote : #4
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know about that. I'd have to either unplug and plug back the corded controller or turn the wavebird on and off. This is different though. If I don't touch it, it doesn't do anything...most of the time. As soon as I touch it, then it goes beserk. Not 100% comfortable opening my controller though. Shouldn't matter though, cuz it's already acting like its busted anyway. :p Thanks again for the reply.

My wife's website: www.hieriphany.com
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
So the GameCube does a controller calibration check in the background when first turned on?

The gamecube assumes that the control stick is in its centered position when turned on (or probably more likely, whenever a controller is inserted. The N64 needed a controller inserted on startup for calibration)

If the joystick is off-center when the system is turned on (or the controller is inserted) and then returns to the center position, it will register as the stick being pressed in one direction or another.

MasquedWarrior
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:05 am
quote : #6
shoutout33 wrote:
Yeah, I know about that. I'd have to either unplug and plug back the corded controller or turn the wavebird on and off.

For future reference, you don't have to do this from now on; Holding down the X, Y, and Start buttons for three seconds also works. (Doesn't solve your main problem, though.)