Page 1 of 1
Manji
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:47 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
they have one of these available at a video game store close to where i live. well, not close, but it's the one store somewhat close that actually sells classic video game items like this. anyways, they have one of these and they're selling it for $80, which seems like an alright asking price for something obviously out of production (the system was released with a $50 price tag). also the unit itself looks clean and everything. however after reading up on the difference between the original NES and this version makes me wonder if it's really worth the money.

the biggest and most attractive feature of the toploader is the fact it doesnt have the same problems playing cartridges as the original design. the downside to that is, nintendo chose to eliminate the a/v output in favor of RF only, which results in lower picture quality overall. kinda the same thing they did with gamecube when they removed the digital a/v and cited the reason as cost-cutting.

i don't own an nes system, but i have an itch to play all those classic nes games quite often and nes games are pure, simple fun. timeless really. so what do you guys think, worth $80?

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:27 am
quote : #2
i wouldn't worry about the sound and picture quality. it wont make that much difference on NES.

lazybum
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:58 am
quote : #3
I had planned to one day get a toploader too, but read on a lot of forums that the toploader has problems because it uses the rf adapter. Like people said that it causes annoying verical lines to show up on the tv.

If you could mod the toploader to use composite cables then it would be perfect. In fact it can be done and I found this site a little while ago where some guy can do it for you. http://gametz.com/?user=platinumfungi
gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:11 pm
quote : #4
im not sure about it being worth $80 for a top loader? i got my old school NES for far less and there is this hand held NES thats out now. it also can be hooked to a TV for 2 player action. it comes with 2 wireless controllers and a wireless light gun all for $50. idk about you guys but i think that i would rather get that one. so imo a top loader is not really worth $80, at least not to me lol.