1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:08 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
There is another way to network your gamecube. That method is ControlSim. This technology takes controller data and sends it over the internet. Basically you are playing offline multiplayer, over the internet. This can be done with almost any gamecube game. This software is in serious beta stages right now. People are getting it to work but its an involved process and not user friendly yet. On top of the tricky configurations needed, in order to get the software onto your cube you need to load it via PSO using psload or psul.

Luckily I will be able to test this when the time is needed. I own 2 gamecubes, and 2 bba's as well as 2 copies of 1080 Avalanche. So I can test out an offline splitscreen game run locally over the LAN. I checked the status of the project and it is in DEEP troubleshooting mode right now. I don't want to waste too much of my time on it. Instead I am going to wait and let all those other people coding it and those testing it, figure it out. At the moment its clearly not at a stage where it is viable for full on community use. However with the amount of effort being put forth, it looks like it eventually will be working. The ball is rolling, there is no stopping it now.

So what does this mean for GC-OC? I have known about ControlSim for a while now, and it has popped up numerious times on the forums here. I have delayed seriously looking into it for so long because it opens pandora's box. Basically any and all gamecube multiplayer games would be capable of using this. How does a site admin even begin to deal with that?

I have taken the liberty of going over the entire GameCube release list. If and when we do integrate ControlSim into this community I will NOT be letting this site cover games that have offline multiplayer that uses SPLITSCREEN gameplay. The only games I will be adding to our online games list, are those that would play the same online, as they do offline. Here is the list of game titles that we will have at our disposal:
-----------
Alien Hominid
Lego Star Wars (not released yet)

Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO
Soul Calibur II
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mortal Kombat: Deception

Gauntlet Dark Legacy
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (not released yet)

Bomberman Generation or Bomberman Jetters
(whichever bomberman as the most complete offline multiplayer options)
Puyo Pop Fever
-----------
I have considered other games as well, such as Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, but I feel one MK game is enough. Especially since MK Deception is more recent and was online for other consoles. I would have added Beach Spikers, but this game is too rare. I also would have added Ikaruga...however not everyone is up for this challenge, and this game is very rare, selling for 60-100 dollars. There are a lot of other games I have left out like all the EA sports games and such. I'm not going to cover these here. They are all over at the PS2 site if you want to play these.

The only other games I will think of adding are the following:
Zelda 4 Swords and FF:CC, but since these games require GBA's for multi, it could pose problems. So these are on the back burner.

Also the other games are all of the Mario Sports games, however I am only going to add these if people REALLY REALLY want to play them.

A final minor exception is Auto Modellista. If the PS2 version should oneday go offline, the GC version will be added here so players can re-live their experiences with Auto Modellista with the GC version.

-----

The games I chose above are games that I feel are the cream of the crop in terms of offline multiplayer games that do not use splitscreen. They would play online via control sim no different than they would if they were officially online. Minus the lobbies of course. The puzzle games and fighters, along with the co-op rpg's and action games allow for some gameplay that is sorely missed in console gaming.

One final note, I will not be adding an FPS to the website. I don't feel its necessary to try and force this. The PS2 and DC sites have some great shooters available. Here at the GC site it would be nice to offer something different that the other sites either lack or are unable to provide.

I have no idea how this stuff is going to turn out, so I figured I would atleast bring it up for discussion, since people are actively testing Super Smash Bros Melee, and have had successfull tests with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

If you want to score one of the above games I have listed in the meantime, that is fine. However I do NOT recommend you go on a purchase blitz with the intention of actually playing all of these games online. This is more of a preparation thread to let this community know that I am prepared if and when this software becomes viable for public use.

If you want to read more on the general progress of this software, please visit this link.

Everyones thoughts on this are welcome.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:13 pm
quote : #2
i personally dont know what to think about this. on one hand it could be another warp pipe disaster and be slow as heck, thus becoming another "talking" community. on the other hand, it could increase the value of the gamecube, and therfore the revolution by making unofficial online games (which in my oppinion would be the greatest thing in the world).

being one of the only 20 year olds in my city with a gamecube makes this news some of the best since the release of information of Warp Pipe and other tunneling projects. so i guess this is good news and i hope it turns out for the best...
DS-Advanced Wars 2, Feel The Magic
eMac- World of Warcraft
charmed_699
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:59 am
quote : #3
Wow thats an amazing finding , guess I really need to start taking my shiny new gamecube online as soon as I can Smile.
thanks for the info and look forward to knwoing whast the outcome .
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:08 am
quote : #4
charmed_699 wrote:
Wow thats an amazing finding , guess I really need to start taking my shiny new gamecube online as soon as I can Smile.

Yea I should also note that the games listed above might not be released in PAL Regions or not. Also there could also possibly be issues concerning PAL vs NTSC gameplay. We'll just have to wait and see.

If you do not already own one, I would buy a BBA, as over time they are going to be getting increasingly rarer and rarer.
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:00 pm
quote : #5
It's almost worth a BBA to play Alien Hominid online. That game is awesome. I know I should get one soon. I have the money now that I work, but unless there's some serious tunnelling going on over here it's not worth the $30. Also note that I'd get two anyway and rent copies of any of the three LAN games (I own one of each) as needed, which would be seldom. So it would really be $60 for me. That money has other more useful spaces in my gaming finances (mainly DS games.) Anywhere I can get a BBA dirt cheap? Lower than $27?

MasterChief
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:50 pm
quote : #6
One Piece Grand Battle is 4 player on one screen a la powerstone.

i bet it would work great online.
mcmonkey
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:17 am
quote : #7
it would be interesting to see how practical this is.

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:00 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
charmed_699 wrote:

Yea I should also note that the games listed above might not be released in PAL Regions or not. Also there could also possibly be issues concerning PAL vs NTSC gameplay. We'll just have to wait and see.

If you do not already own one, I would buy a BBA, as over time they are going to be getting increasingly rarer and rarer.

If the Revolution will have built in wi-fi and backwards compatibility with GCN games and this technology probably won't be fully developed for some time, would it really be necessary to buy a broadband adapter? Is the technology hardware dependent so that it will only work specifically with the GCN and not future consoles such as the Revolution?

I only ask because I like the potential I see here (especially with Alien Hominid, heh) and I want to know if I will need to find BBA to ever have any hope of playing these online or if I can simply wait for the Revolution to be released and use the built in wi-fi.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
Chile
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:43 pm
quote : #9
Why o0nly games without splitscreen multiplayer? If someone wanted to play a game of say Geist online through this board, would you stop them?In general though, would you stop anybody discussing about games with splitscreen for online multiplayer?
Konradshohe Lvl 21 (Skyly)
McRing_Ring
rank 38
Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:23 pm
quote : #10
I think this could be pretty neat.. If it can be worked out well. I probably won't be doing anything with it for a long time, but it's nice to know people are doing stuff like this.
Posted:
Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:34 am
quote : #11
Chile wrote:
Why o0nly games without splitscreen multiplayer?

Because they would play just as they would if they were officially online. The gameplay experience would be the same.

Chile wrote:
If someone wanted to play a game of say Geist online through this board, would you stop them? In general though, would you stop anybody discussing about games with splitscreen for online multiplayer?

Well, I really wouldn't have to stop anyone, as the forums in place currently prevent anyone from discussing that anyway. Someone would be able to ask technical questions in network tech of course. However the Scheduler and Game Organization forum only allow for gamers to post for games listed in the Online Game List. Also I would be making forums for each game or create multi-game forums for 2-3 games. Focusing on those specific games. I will not be creating a Control Sim general discussion forum.

Because of this, discussions on Tunneling Giest or any other splitscreen multiplayer game would be impossible via the website.

You can do this via PM or use jabber or something if you wanted. However I am trying to stear community activity towards specific titles. Having too many titles at our disposal would be overwhelming in terms of site administration and community activities. The PS2 website suffers greatly because of this. There are too many supported games. The ratio of available games to number of players online is not good. More often than not certain games get neglected simply because OC does not have enough players to keep specific games thriving with activity.

McRing_Ring wrote:
I think this could be pretty neat.. If it can be worked out well. I probably won't be doing anything with it for a long time, but it's nice to know people are doing stuff like this.

Yes, it will be pretty cool if this all gets worked out. You can rest assured that you or anyone else won't have to go through a huge pain in the ass troubleshooting session to get it working. I will get it all sorted out and have a guide up as soon as something is working. I have 2 GameCubes now along with 2 BBA's, so I can test this when necessary. Mr. Green
rank 18
Posted:
Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:39 pm
quote : #12
Should this end up working, I may be buying myself another Gamecube.

Very interesting find, I had no idea this was in the works.

Nico0020
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:49 pm
quote : #13
if this works out well ill be joining the community. and actully pick up some GC games for once. Though I woudl love to see four swords work out, now that would make me feel like it was worth the 100 bucks for the cube.

*edit*
if this technology works out, I dont suppose it might be possible to create for other consoles? mainly DC of course.
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:03 pm
quote : #14
Link00seven wrote:
Should this end up working, I may be buying myself another Gamecube.

You should just save yourself the trouble. You will end up selling it again shortly there after.

Nico0020 wrote:
if this technology works out, I dont suppose it might be possible to create for other consoles? mainly DC of course.

Well, I think it has to do with something very specific with the GameCube on why they are getting it to work. But don't quote me on that.

However the main reason why this wouldn't work well on the Dreamcast......Broadband. You need Broadband for this. Broadband adaptors arn't necessarily the most readily available product for the DC. As much as I would love to play certain games online again, it would be a high price to pay.

Broadband adaptors would become rarer than gold, and the demand would skyrocket. Plus countless people not necessarily in it for the long run would be buying up BBA's. You would see many fall victim to breaking or possibly getting locked away in certain users closets.

I'd almost like to see all the BBA's go to those who need them for surfing the net on Broadband, or are planning to put heavy hours into PSO or Q3.

But...thats just me...

Also one other thing. It would be such a tease to all those who didn't have BBA's. A handfull of gamers out there would be playing Chu Chu Rocket online again....whereas thousands of others would get the short end of the stick. Embarassed
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:37 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
countless people not necessarily in it for the long run would be buying up BBA's. You would see many fall victim to breaking or possibly getting locked away in certain users closets.

(hides his 2 bbas behind his back)

THOSE BASTARDS!!!!

but seriously, i dont think it would work on the DC, at least not very well. from what i read, CS needs to be loaded into the ram, and the DC dosnt have very much to spare.