Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:54 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, Battallion Wars is looking pretty awsome. I think I am gonna be picking this up eventually. Reminds me a lot of General Chaos on the sega genesis.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:52 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
I plan on buying it this weekend, and I'll let you know what I think of it.

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:14 pm:

Okay, I got it today, and here's the scoop (in my opinion anyways):

I haven't put in a ton of time with the game, but I've completed about 5 or 6 missions. The game naturally starts off with a training mission which involves the control of a single rifle unit. Here you learn the basics of combat (how to fire, fire, jump, etc.), but almost immediately your base is attacked and you gain a larger squadron of troops to command. Each level introduces new types of units which become integral parts of your squad. Flame throwers kill infantry quickly but have short range and are all but worthless against armored vehicles. Rifleman are balanced and good against most infantry except the aforementioned flamers. Light tanks will completely decimate all infantry with the exception of the bazooka troops who will annihilate tanks and light scout vehicles. Missile troops will take down choppers and aircraft quickly but can't take much fire at all from ground forces. There are a lot more troop types that I obviously haven't gotten yet, but these are the basics.

I really like the fact that the game requires an immense amount of strategy about which units should lead the charge and which ones should hang back under cover. Every unit has a counter-unit that will destroy it very quickly which is a very good thing. By about the fourth mission, you need to understand what units will counter one another or you will definitely fail. It's most important that you learn how to direct your troops which is a skill that I certainly haven't yet mastered. Lock on with the L trigger and cycle through targets with the same button while the A button fires. While locked on, you can hit the Y button to order a certain attack groups to lead the charge on the designated target. The C-Stick can be used to cycle through your groups of allies and check how many units of each type you have and how much health each has. Once a group is selected, pressing the Z button changes your command to that group. The X button commands your groups of troops to either hang back or follow you.

The controls are pretty nice, but it's tough getting used to using the C-Stick in the heat of battle which gets me killed sometimes. Also, at first, it's very difficult to understand how to get your allies to do what you want, but you eventually learn how. Thankfully, pressing the start button displays a tactical map useful for planning attack strategies in advance as it shows you currently positions as well as your enemies. The D-Pad can be used to get an overhead view instead of the normal over-the-shoulder view which can be useful but again is often disorienting.

I think the game is great, but it definitely takes some getting used to since the controls are very different from most games. The only real disappointment is the lack of alternate game modes. The startup screen is spartan and lacks any options other than campaign mode. I really wish there was a multiplayer, practice, challenge, or something, but that's all you get. Overall, the missions so far are well put together and involve a large amount of strategy. Once I get the hang of the controls, I'm sure I'll be loving every minute of the game. The scoring system for each level also offers some replay value since you can unlock bonus missions.

I'd say it's a buy for you if you like a huge strategy element combined with some fast paced shooting and can overlook the lack of options. I'll let you know more as soon as I get a bit further into the game, but those are my initial impressions.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)