Topic: woah xlink lag - kirby

Page 1 of 1
Nico0020
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:23 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Ok so with the xlink page back up my friend made an account and we connected to kirby to play a game successfully. we live right down the street from eachother, 2 blocks to be exact. his cable is 5000kb/s and his upload is 256kb/s. My dsl varries between 2.5-3mb/s with an upload of 512kb/s. but the game runs terribly slow. all the near by orbital servers are down so the closest one is in Flordia (im in texas). do games run very well on kia for gc? I mean it was so slow it wasent even playable, it was hard just to hit "A" to select a character. anyone have an idea whats up?
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:59 am
quote : #2
this game uses frame-synch

its where each frame from one person is synched with each from from another person

its very different from the netcode you see in most online games

i think on warppipe they said the game was 384kbps upstream

so your friend would need to have his connection upgraded and make sure your ping is 20 or lower

Smile

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:03 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Welcome to GC Online!!!! hahaha

Yea the GC LAN games can tunnel but for the most part nowhere near playable. And consider yourself lucky if you do have a setup working with someone that runs at a decent speed. I should note that Kirby is the most bandwidth intensive of the 3.

Lately I really have been encouraging people to setup or get into some LAN stuff. As buying this equipment with the sole idea of tunneling right now, is not super realistic. Eventually the games will be playable at full speed, but not until bandwidth increases for home broadband connections. SO I guess if your really really really really hardcore. Hang onto your system and games, and eventually we can play these games at full speed with no problems.

I will be getting Kirby soon, and I have 40kb's of upstream (320kbit). So I would be a good test subject. Mr. Green
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:20 am
quote : #4
yea i was very disapointed Sad I knew GC online was suppost to be a bit laggy, but I didnt expect the framerate to do what it does. I look forward to a time when it will be easy to play this game online lol. Let me know whenever you get this game Nikon as Id love to try to do this with a different person. Our ping was always at around 120, so it wasent even playable. we could control where we were going and it was interesting to see kirby being played online. we just couldnt "play" it. I know you will love this game, as I have yet to show this game to someone who hasent.

Posted Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:24 pm:

actully i was mistaken. our ping is varies from 31-34. So unless we are going at most of 20 it will not run full speed?