Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:01 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have read this game is a card based game with turn based strategy. Is it like this the entire game?
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:02 am
quote : #2
Funny you should bring this up, since I have a brand-new copy of this very game lying around in a drawer.

I did a little bit of research before I decided to keep or sell. Yes, the battles are card-based/turn-based strategy. In-between battles, you move around in the world, revealing more of the story. This aspect of the game is similar to Final Fantasy.

-Mytho

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:21 pm
quote : #3
I've had the game for a while and beat it a few months ago. You move around the world as you would in a typical RPG, but when you get into battles you select cards much like you would select commands in a typical turn-based RPG. It's really not a bad system, but some people hate the idea of cards (for some strange reason). There are some very cool things about this game, and it's definitely one of the better RPGs on the Cube. Don't worry about being restricted in your movement about the map as you are in Fire Emblem, it's not like that. I love the game and would recommend it to anyone looking for a solid RPG.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:12 pm
quote : #4
I was intrigued by Baiten Kaitos by seeing the media for the sequal. So then I went back and checked out the media for the original again. So I think I am going to be getting this game. PSO EP3 sort of eased me into using cards for attacks. Another question I have is when your in battle can you freely move around and you attack with cards? If not can you atleast move the camera around to get a better angle on the attacks? Or is the camera fixed during the entire match?

I am sort of on a mini-rpg kick as a whole, and it really focuses on the gamecube. I never really was interested in the PS2's realm of JRPG's. Just not my thing.

I am more excited to get the following game titles:

Baiten Kaitos
Baiten Kaitos 2
Tales of Symphonia
Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals

These games are all so colorful and engaging and all are a bit different than your average RPG. I guess it also helps that they all "scream" gamecube.

I'm going to try and snag a few of these, including Baiten Kaitos over the holiday season.
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:22 pm
quote : #5
I, too, am not a huge RPG fan, but I've also been wanting to pick up some of the staple Gamecube RPGs. My only RPG experience is playing through Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast and Paper Mario on N64. I'm a few hours into Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on GBA right now. For some reason I love the Mario RPGs....To the point of actually considering getting an SNES for the first time to be able to play Mario RPG. Very Happy

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:26 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
I was intrigued by Baiten Kaitos by seeing the media for the sequal. So then I went back and checked out the media for the original again. So I think I am going to be getting this game. PSO EP3 sort of eased me into using cards for attacks. Another question I have is when your in battle can you freely move around and you attack with cards? If not can you atleast move the camera around to get a better angle on the attacks? Or is the camera fixed during the entire match?

I am sort of on a mini-rpg kick as a whole, and it really focuses on the gamecube. I never really was interested in the PS2's realm of JRPG's. Just not my thing.

I am more excited to get the following game titles:

Baiten Kaitos
Baiten Kaitos 2
Tales of Symphonia
Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals

These games are all so colorful and engaging and all are a bit different than your average RPG. I guess it also helps that they all "scream" gamecube.

I'm going to try and snag a few of these, including Baiten Kaitos over the holiday season.

Well, here's the thing. I think when I say card battles, you automatically flash to PSO Ep.3, but this system is nothing like that. Your characters are in fixed positions during the entire battle and you simply select cards to attack. You can select a large string of cards to do multiple things in one turn, but you're characters and enemies are in fixed positions during the battles. Also, cards have numbers, which, if lined up properly, add bonuses to your attacks. One of the coolest features, in my opinion, is that your cards age. If you have an Ice Sword card, it will melt after so many hours and you'll be left with just a sword. If you have green bananas, they will ripen and then turn foul. It's very cool to see your items change even if they end up becoming crappier.

In addition, some of the voice acting is ludicrously bad (mainly NPCs) but most of it is passable. Also, I noticed that even though I sound have surround sound, the game sounded much better (less tinny) when I changed the setting to surround sound. The environments are pretty sweet but are pre-rendered, so the camera will always be fixed.

If you can get past the fact that the battle system is somewhat limited, I think it's a great game.

Also, all of the games you listed, I own (except, of course, BK2) and would recommend (although I've only played Crystal Cronicles multi and many say single is boring).

I hope that was helpful, let me know if you need anything else clarified or have any other questions.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)