Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:02 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have played the GBA versions of Fire Emblem and they are pretty fun games. Does the GC version stack up? I was looking into picking this title up possibly.
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:27 pm
quote : #2
I'm currently playing it and am at chapter 15. I'd definitely say I like it better than the GBA version for a couple of reasons. First of all, there are some beautifully rendered anime-style cutscenes that are very, very high in quality. The story so far is quite good, and I definitely like the characters. The story telling is second to none (though more voice acting couldn't have hurt) and the battles are as fun as ever. One new element in the game is Bonus Experience, which is awarded to your party for fighting your best and accomplishing certain goals during battle. Once you control your squad, you are able to distrubute the EXP to any character. This really helps keep those hard to level characters (like healers) even with the rest of your group. Overall, I'm very pleased with the game and I definitely think it is one of the better Gamecube RPGs. Seriously, the cutscenes in the game are absolutely beautiful; you must see them.

As for the difficulty, I can't really say at this point since I'm only about halfway through, but I think it's safe to bet that it's a tad easier just because of the bonus EXP. Still, there have been quite a few challenging battles, so I'll reserve my judgement on difficulty until later.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:59 pm
quote : #3
Awsome! Can you increase the difficulty to a higher setting at all? Is there subtitles for the cut scenes? can you shut off the voices and just have subtitles?

I've seen a lot of footage on this game and it just seems like a really really solid game as far as presentation and gameplay is concerned. Its nice to see these high quality games coming out for the gamecube.
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:04 pm
quote : #4
Oh yes, of course, duh . . .

Sorry I didn't mention it earlier. There are three difficulty settings, and currently I have it at the moderate level. I'm not sure about shutting off the voices during cutscenes, but there are no subtitles during them, so I'm a bit doubtful. Fear not though, the voice work for these segments is top notch.

Basically, so long as you're expecting a Fire Emblem game, I'm sure you'll be completely satisfied. Those expecting free-roaming environments probably won't be happy, but that's not what Fire Emblem is about. It's about the battles. I love Fire Emblem (and it seems like you do too), so I'd recommend the game for sure.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:17 pm
quote : #5
I've tried out Fire Emblem on display for the GBA, and I have seen plenty of footage on the GBA versions as well as the GC version. When I played the GBA version it was really fun. So I was just making sure the GC version lived up to the franchises beginnings on the GBA as thats the only place I have played the game. I would buy Fire Emblem for a full price rather than waiting for it to drop, or even look for a semi-decent deal on it. Which was why I was asking just to be sure.

One last question: How long is it? Does it have some nice length to it? I know the battles can go quick or take a long time, so it kind of varries. But are you currently getting mileage out of the title?
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:43 pm
quote : #6
It's pretty damn long if you ask me. The battles take a pretty long time each and the scenes between battles are pretty long themselves. I've been playing for a few nights straight, and like I said, I'm only about halfway through the game. It'll keep you busy for a while, I'm sure. I'd say it's worth fifty, but I have fifty to blow here and there since my income is totally expendable. I have no idea when the price will drop, but to me the game is worth the money and there aren't many games Ithat would say that about.

EDIT: I guess I should add that the music is pretty kick ass as well, and the quality of the recordings is pretty high. There are some very nice orchestral pieces that I absolutely love.