Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok so you know the GC2GBP(GameCube to GameBoy Player) games? The games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals where you hook up a central gamecube, and jack in 2+ other gamecubes fitted with GB players, and wire them into the central gamecube.

Well I think I have a better solution for hooking this up. It may or may not cost a little more money. It all depends on your scenario and what hardware you already have at home.

So, how it works with final fantasy for instance. You have a main TV where all of the gameplay takes place, and then your GBA is supposed to act as the item manager. The information on the screen doesnt necessarily have to be pumped out to its own full TV. Its really just item data.

To set this up you would need 3 TV"s minimum right? Since you would have the main GameCube and then the 2 connected for item management.

Well a simpler method would be to pick up some of those 5.6" GameCube flip screens. They cost around 90 bucks or so I believe. If you don't have the extra TV's, this is perfect. To be honest if you have the extra money this really is the ultimate setup.

Think about it. You'll have a main TV set with the gameplay, and then each user would have their own GameCube with a GBA Player and a 5.6" screen flat panel on it, for their item management. I mean you could really go all out and throw in WaveBirds as well. But I think if anyone was really serious about setting this up, using the 5.6" flat screens would be a huge advantage in terms of space and setting it up. Especially if you intend to do it at someones house that doesn't have 3 TV's or intended to do it at a different persons house each night or something.

(if you guys have no idea what I am talking about, or ever wondered why games like ff:cc, zelda 4 swords, and pacman vs are in the online games list as system link, just see this link to understand what this is all about)
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:33 pm
quote : #2
heh so it seems im NOT the only looser who has done that before. Ive done it with a GC screen, but I picked up a portable dvd player for VERY cheap through my girlfriend and it has an AV input. so i just set that on top of my GC while i play four swords adventures. I also alway suse my GC gameboy player when playing multi link GBA games like both kirbys and the orinigal four swords. great fun.
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:59 pm
quote : #3
you could pick up some vga adapters and use your pc moniter as a tv. I have 2 moniters that i do that with.
PSO episode 1 & 2 characters (xbox): (not playing anymore)
rune HUmar: level 122
wren HUcast: level 68
Rune ver2 FOmar: level 69
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:09 am
quote : #4
Nico0020 wrote:
heh so it seems im NOT the only looser who has done that before. Ive done it with a GC screen, but I picked up a portable dvd player for VERY cheap through my girlfriend and it has an AV input. so i just set that on top of my GC while i play four swords adventures. I also alway suse my GC gameboy player when playing multi link GBA games like both kirbys and the orinigal four swords. great fun.

Awsome Very Happy I was not aware you were already doing this :] You are indeed one of the hardcore gamecube networkers as far as I'm concerned.

I have one question, which you may have already answered, but I wish to clarrify. Can you system link 2 GameCube's with GBA players for GBA Link gameplay?

Mastershake wrote:
you could pick up some vga adapters and use your pc moniter as a tv. I have 2 moniters that i do that with.

Actually that is what I would have recommended. However, the GameCube doesn't have an official VGA box. There are VGA cable mods, or even Component to VGA convertors, however they may only work with games that support progressive scan. Regardless the signal doesn't come through 100% accurate.

The only consoles on the market that support a true VGA signal are the Dreamcast and the Xbox.

So you can't really do proper VGA with the gamecube :/
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:46 pm
quote : #5
I actully havent tried it with more than one GC. though that site shows pictures that it is possible to have 4 gamecubes linked. I find it interesting that the official instructions say that you cannot link more than 1 GB player together. I wonder why it would say that?
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:17 pm
quote : #6
Yea I just read the manual for the GB Player at nintendo.com. It does indeed say to not connect 2 GB Players. However when I get the hardware I am going to try anyway.

I really really really really want to have LANed Jet Grind Radio....badly. Atleast I can play via 2 GBA SP's if needed.
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:47 pm
quote : #7
heh i never got into the GBA version of that. what can you do with link play on it? The only reason I could think that nintendo would not want you to do so is because gameboy players cost 50 bucks new and a GBA SP/Micro cost 100 bucks lol. but thats crazy talk, then again its nintendo.