Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:02 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I got my progreesive scan cable about a week ago, and I've been checking out all of my games ever since. First of all, I had no idea I had such a huge stockpile of Cube games, but more importantly, progressive scan rocks! I was playing games in S-Video before and recently purchased a 50-inch Plasma HD TV and decided to go for the cables. I must say, if you have a high-def TV, get these cables NOW! Some games look a bit better, but others look absolutely FANTASTIC. Star Fox Adventures comes to mind as one of the best looking games, and Metroid Prime 1 and 2 look pretty damn good as well. I would definitely recommend the cable to anyone who wants to see much more detail and visual clarity in their Cube games.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:56 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
For me getting the cable would be easy. However the TV not so easy. When I do get a TV I will definatly be taking advantage of this. By the way, does PSO look better in Progressive Scan?
rank 24
Posted:
Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:19 pm
quote : #3
I'd say that the step up to S-Video was more impressive in PSO, but a lot of textures do look a lot crisper in Progressive Scan. So overall the game does look better, but the change wasn't as jaw dropping as with some other titles.

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." (Winston Churchill)
DarkLink
rank 25
Posted:
Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:12 pm
quote : #4
The HDTV is my next purchase,,,hopefully I give it to myself for my birthday. Can't wait!!!!

Nine
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:33 pm
quote : #5
I ordered the Component (PSCAN) cable from Nintendo about 2 years ago. I've used it on several tvs including LCD's. I would have to say that it definitely makes a big difference on almost every game. Even games that don't feature 480p, or 1080i support, just using the component cables make the picture crisper.

Unfortunately for me the one problem ive had relates directly to PSO. (Although it could be my almost eccentric desire for a perfectly clear picture and gaming experience on the game, and also perhaps the amount of time spent playing - lol)

On every conventional tube HDTV I've used the lvl, hp, tp and character name etc is blurry. The other game text is crisp and clear and looks way better than composite (standard) input, but that upper left corner remains annoying. It's wierd. On a LCD screen it looked pretty good but on my current Panasonic, a Sony vega triniton and a JVC model of conventional HDTV , it seems a problem. It is more annoying than anything considering it is not that important to look at the text most of the time. But it pisses me off.

On a 10 year + old Mitsubishi TV I have though, that does not have component input , the text is clear?

However, I would DEFINITELY reccomend the cables to anyone who owns an HDTV

DS: MPH: Team Battle Anyone?, Tetris, Worms, AC
PS2: Monster Hunter!
Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:12 pm
quote : #6
Nine wrote:
I ordered the Component (PSCAN) cable from Nintendo about 2 years ago. I've used it on several tvs including LCD's. I would have to say that it definitely makes a big difference on almost every game. Even games that don't feature 480p, or 1080i support, just using the component cables make the picture crisper.

Unfortunately for me the one problem ive had relates directly to PSO. (Although it could be my almost eccentric desire for a perfectly clear picture and gaming experience on the game, and also perhaps the amount of time spent playing - lol)

On every conventional tube HDTV I've used the lvl, hp, tp and character name etc is blurry. The other game text is crisp and clear and looks way better than composite (standard) input, but that upper left corner remains annoying. It's wierd. On a LCD screen it looked pretty good but on my current Panasonic, a Sony vega triniton and a JVC model of conventional HDTV , it seems a problem. It is more annoying than anything considering it is not that important to look at the text most of the time. But it pisses me off.

On a 10 year + old Mitsubishi TV I have though, that does not have component input , the text is clear?

However, I would DEFINITELY reccomend the cables to anyone who owns an HDTV

I haven't had any such problem on my plasma, and, ironically, I actually remembered thinking how crisp the text up in that corner looked with the cables. So like you said, it may be some strange flaw with PSO and projection HD TV's though I don't really know how that's possible . . .

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:01 pm
quote : #7
Nine, have you tried S-Video cables before? PSO on S-Video for me looks insanely crisp.
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:59 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
Nine, have you tried S-Video cables before? PSO on S-Video for me looks insanely crisp.

Actually, yeah I have, and it worked great! The graphics and text seemed to be highly improved with S-Video when I tried it. But of course you can't do PSCAN. Which adds a level of detail to the graphics. On PSO I like to have the text very easy on the eyes and sometimes I think something between the TV settings and High Resolution distorts the text with Component input... well at least in my experience. But with both the RCA/S-Video I haven't had any problem. However I don't have an S-Video cable or TV with the input now.

DS: MPH: Team Battle Anyone?, Tetris, Worms, AC
PS2: Monster Hunter!
TheMytho
rank 15
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:24 pm
quote : #9
What would you say are some of the games that would benefit from the component cable outside of the ones you have listed, Lunar Eclipse? The game I'm the most curious about is 1080 Avalanche, but would like to know how others fare as well.

-Mytho

Lunar Eclipse
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:28 pm
quote : #10
TheMytho wrote:
What would you say are some of the games that would benefit from the component cable outside of the ones you have listed, Lunar Eclipse? The game I'm the most curious about is 1080 Avalanche, but would like to know how others fare as well.

-Mytho

I would say that most of the first party Nintendo games look very good in P-Scan. Mario Sunshine is a standout and Wind Waker also looks quite good. Fire Emblem wasn't very visually stunning to begin with, but there is still a pretty decent improvement there. Soul Calibur 2 looked awesome, especially since it has a 16:9 mode built in to it. Resident Evil 4 was simply amazing, but that game looks great no matter how you play it. I'm just going to go ahead and say that it offers at least a marginal graphical improvement for every game, and some games look absolutely gorgeous in P-Scan.

If you're wondering about any titles in particular, I'd be glad to test them out for you since I have almost all of the big name GCN games.

Overwatch
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:17 pm
quote : #11
Do LOTR:The Third Age and Rogue Leader look any better in 480p?

U-235
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:01 pm
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:

When I first got the GC back down off the shelf yesterday I was using the RCA cables. It didn't take long for me to hook up the S-Video cable back! Mr. Green

hebe
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:11 pm
quote : #13
Hi can I ask a few questions about this? Thanks in advance!

1. Does it work with all games, or just the progressive compatible ones?

2. If not, is there a compatibilty list out there somewhere?

3. I plan to use VGA on my HDTV, what should I do? Get the composite cable allong with this, or get this? It says on the customer reviews section for the second that it only works for progressive scan compatible games, is this true?
Posted:
Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:14 am
quote : #14
I think what you need are GameCube component cables. With the Red, Green, and Blue connectors. Someone else might be able to add some more insight on this. I am no expert on HD.
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 pm
quote : #15
Well, I'm in the market for some Component Cables. Unfortunately, seem's like they're had to find lower than $50-$60. Now, I bought a VGA adapter for my DC for 50 dollars, when suddenly, VGA's pop up and start selling for $20.

According to Murphy's Law, if I pay $50 for component cables, they're going to immediately drop to $20.

Does anyone know any loopholes around Murphy's Law? (or a place to get cheaper component cables? Cool )