Topic: Red Faction

Page 1 of 2
Overwatch
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:07 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Does this play in any way like Halo and/or Half-Life?And are their any other games like this for the Gamecube?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:48 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Are you referring to Red Faction 2? Since Red Faction 1 wasn't released on the cube. I have had Red Faction 2 for the PS2 for a while, and had been meaning to buy the GameCube version for sometime now.

I just recently acquired the GameCube version of Red Faction 2. I was searching for the best Deathmatch multiplayer FPS for the gamecube. TimeSplitters 2 and 3 are great games, but Red Faction 2 really takes the cake when it comes to Deathmatch. Matches can have a total of 6 players. Which means you, and 5 other bots. It supports 4 player splitscreen, and has 40 maps. There are jump pads and ramps, and even a space map a la Quake 3 Arena. RF2 even has a rail gun :]

The controls work really well and are nicely tuned for the GameCube controller. I found them to be very comfortable.

Also the GC version does look graphically better than the PS2 version, and maintains a solid framerate.
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:13 pm
quote : #3
Can you blow down walls and pillars like in Black? And are the controls like the controls in the begging of Jedi Outcast?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:03 am
quote : #4
What you are referring to is technology that was made well known long before Black, with the original Red Faction game. In Red Faction it is known as the "GeoMod" system. Yes you can blow holes in walls and barriers. This can be done in both the single player campaign and the multiplayer mode.

As for the controls, I don't know how well they compare to Jedi Outcast, since I don't own that title yet. I do know that Red Faction 2 aims more fluid than TimeSplitters 2 (not sure about 3, since I don't own it yet for cube).
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:14 pm
quote : #5
I hope it controls like TimeSplitters 3 its the only fps on the GC that I like(control wise),unlike that god awful Turok:Evolution.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:24 pm
quote : #6
You will be more than pleased with the controls for Red Faction 2. It plays just as good with the gamecube controller as any PS2 fps using a dual-shock. Cool
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 pm
quote : #7
Thats a load off my mind.Thanks.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:08 am
quote : #8
Did you manage to pick-up Red Faction 2 yet Overwatch?
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:35 pm
quote : #9
I'm still deciding if I want it becuase now I can afford a PS2 and a hell of alot of games.$250 American.(Thats big to 14 year olds with no job).But theres a chance I might go to Gamestop this weekend and if I see it their I might pick it up(GC).

policenaut
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:13 am
quote : #10
I've beaten this game on PC.I liked it a lot and I will get it again for my cube , im nostalgic. Smile

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:30 pm
quote : #11
Yae I actually am only halfway through the single player in Red Faction 2. I keep getting distracted by the multiplayer hehe.

My favorite part in single player so far was flying through the city using the gun turret to blast through windows. Man was that awesome!
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 am
quote : #12
For the controls, is it possible to switch to a lefty-aim scheme?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:05 am
quote : #13
Do you mean aim with the left analog? or where the gun switches to the left hand on the screen?

Well, I booted up Red Faction 2 multiplayer to confirm some stuff for you. I ended up getting distracted playing it for about 2 hours though hehe. You can completly configure the controls to your liking. There is even an auto-switch on weapon pickup option.

The game has gibs... GIBS!

RF2 was released on every other platform at the time: PC, XB, PS2. Sure you could get it on any of those other systems, and the PS2 version even ahs Mouse and Keyboard support. However, all of those systems have other online first person shooters already. Plus, those systems have ports of Quake/Unreal games as well. The GameCube doesn't have any online shooters, and doesn't have any Quake or Unreal games on it.

The fact that you can take Red Faction 2 on GameCube, toss in 5 bots in addition to yourself, and frag it up hittin jump ramps, firing rail guns and blowing bots into bloody chunks is a great. I love TimeSplitters, but Red Faction 2 is the closest thing to Quake 3/Unreal that you will find on the GC.
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:59 am
quote : #14
ah, that's what I was looking for: customizable controls! Yeah, I've grown accustomed to aiming w/ the left analog.

Btw, what is "GIBS"?

MasquedWarrior
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:53 pm
quote : #15
RadioSpade wrote:
...Btw, what is "GIBS"?

I think he's referring to the gory apendages and organs that show up as remains of bodies that have been blown apart in some first-person shooters. ("Gib" is short for, "giblet.")