Page Location: Home > Classic Nintendo > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:06 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So, I was at Fry's today, and spotted R-Type III for GBA. It was selling for $4.99. I figured now would be a good time to find out once and for all whether this game is indeed broken.

Yes the game is a butchered mess. It has collision detection issues, the music and sound effects are emulated using a different sound engine, and sometimes your ship will gravitate into another object when trying to diagonally maneuver between enemies. It is strange because the collision detection on walls seems fine, but enemies and objects is where the most trouble is.

This game was not ported with the permission of IREM. In-fact they decided not to give the developers any source code for the game. So they instead ripped sprites from the SNES version, and re-wrote the game from the ground up.

This is a noble achievement, but the game has problems and is not faithfull to the SNES masterpiece.

The game is sort of playable, but the collision detection is what kills it. You have to be really really patient to want to play through this game. Death will occur over and over, and you have to start back at the beginning of the level again.

I suggest using level codes to play all of the levels, rather than suffering through the game from start to finish.

Quote:
Level Select

Press R(10), L repeatedly, Start at the continue screen. The number of times L is pressed should be equal to the level to be selected.

or

Level passwords

At the password screen:

Level 2: 5bdgb
Level 3: 5hhlq
Level 4: 5mglt
Level 5: 5rflx
Level 6: 5wdl0

If you really want some R-Type on-the-go, then run out and score a copy of R-Type DX for the GameBoy color. This has both the GameBoy Color and original GameBoy versions of R-Type 1 and 2. It plays and sounds fantastic. Highly recommended.
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:35 am
quote : #2
What a shame. =[ Maybe we will get lucky and be blessed with an R-Type compilation at some point for the DS or PSP. Until then, I'll keep my eyes open for R-Type DX. What's a good price for this game?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:05 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea you most likely won't see a compilation anytime soon since IREM has rid themselves of the franchise. Most of the compilations have been comprised of R-Type 1 and 2. Which is what R-Type DX is, as well as R-Types which was a compilation of 1 and 2 on the PS1. The closest thing would be emulation on a handheld.

You can get R-Type DX for 3-10 dollars. Brand new sealed for around 8-12 if you shop. Amazon has them going for 13 sealed, used around 5. I scored mine as cart only a few years ago while exploiting ebgames's buy 1 get 1 half off deal, and got it for $3.73 total.