Page Location: Home > HomeLand > Topic
lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
This was a complete shock. I didn't exactly expect to see something like this. I just started messing around with Homeland tonight. I am just guessing because i can't understand the menu's. So I find the Online menu, and then find the configure connection option. On the LAN games they all access the LAN via DHCP. On the PSO games there is Sega's own network configuration application.

However with Homeland there is a full on GUI that seems like it is built into the GC's firmware! The background music is from the memory card screen. All of the menu's are in english and it is all setup exactly like it was running from the cube itself. This is basically a BBA config tool that was only made accessable because Chunsoft made Homeland and decided to take advantage of it.

From a game standpoint this isn't all that exciting. But from a tech standpoint this is really damn cool.
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:34 pm
quote : #2
What's funny, is that it probably IS on the gamecube. It's just that no one ever used it. This is intrigueing.
Posted:
Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:19 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Maybe no one knew about it before...Nintendo never used it so probably the other companies (especially the EU/US) didnt knew it... Razz lol,...just a thought...

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:29 pm:

I've confirmed that the software is indeed running from the cube itself, I didn't hear any music but the sound was exactly the same as the initial GameCube option screen. The configuration is in English (or the selected language from the menu). There’s an option to choose between AOL configuration (?), or 2 other option, one if connected trough cable or router, and the other for the rest. But what confirms that its running from the GameCube itself is the save Icon information (that little icon cube from saved games on the memory card), it read: For use with Online games; Saved network settings. Besides you can copy or move the save, which don’t happen for PSO network save. So the network configuration screen was always there…I’m wondering if most Companies actually knew it was there. Maybe was simple to make online games without making a network configuration for every game like SEGA did for PSO. The network file for PSO reads: Sega network information; ISP network setting.

Very interesting indeed!
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 am
quote : #4
Starwalker wrote:
I've confirmed that the software is indeed running from the cube itself, I didn't hear any music but the sound was exactly the same as the initial GameCube option screen. The configuration is in English (or the selected language from the menu).

That is not confirmation. You are assuming just because the sound is the same. I made the same guess, but it is only a guess. One would have to verify that its running from the firmware via other means. More technical evidence is required. The config tool could easily be running off the disc. It shows up as english in the manual for Homeland.

I don't believe you can change the language settings on the GameCube. There is not option to set the menu's to display in anything but english on my North American GameCube. I havn't messed with my Japanese cube yet so I can't say about its menu options.

Starwalker wrote:
There’s an option to choose between AOL configuration (?), or 2 other option, one if connected trough cable or router, and the other for the rest. But what confirms that its running from the GameCube itself is the save Icon information (that little icon cube from saved games on the memory card), it read: For use with Online games; Saved network settings. Besides you can copy or move the save, which don’t happen for PSO network save. So the network configuration screen was always there…I’m wondering if most Companies actually knew it was there. Maybe was simple to make online games without making a network configuration for every game like SEGA did for PSO. The network file for PSO reads: Sega network information; ISP network setting.

Very interesting indeed!

All of those other things don't confirm it either. Like I said before one would have to PROVE 100% for sure that its reading from the firmware.

It could be reading off the disc, because why would a PAL system, Japanese Game Manual, and North American console all show AOL as an option in the settings?

So right now it is a toss up in my opinion. There is no clean cut proof to show whether the network config software is built into the cube's firmware, or is loading off the disc.
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:08 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
It shows up as english in the manual for Homeland.

You are wrong there, if you see well there all in japanese, the only thing you can read is DHPC, PPPoE, DNS, and that is not a real word anyway.

lordnikon wrote:
I don't believe you can change the language settings on the GameCube. There is not option to set the menu's to display in anything but english on my North American GameCube. I havn't messed with my Japanese cube yet so I can't say about its menu options.

In the PAL consoles you can change to like 6 languages, but no japanese.

lordnikon wrote:
It could be reading off the disc, because why would a PAL system, Japanese Game Manual, and North American console all show AOL as an option in the settings?

There's no AOL option in japanese look well to the manual, the 1st option is DHPC, 2nd PPPoE and 3rd i don't know its in Japanese but has IP in the beginning...In my PAL version it reads AOL in the 1st option...

Besides the file like I said reads, "To use with online games", not game or online Homeland or something.
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:25 pm
quote : #6
Starwalker wrote:
You are wrong there, if you see well there all in japanese, the only thing you can read is DHPC, PPPoE, DNS, and that is not a real word anyway.

I must have been smoking crack, I will have to look again.

Starwalker wrote:
In the PAL consoles you can change to like 6 languages, but no japanese.

Yea in US consoles there isn't even a language option at all.

Starwalker wrote:
There's no AOL option in japanese look well to the manual, the 1st option is DHPC, 2nd PPPoE and 3rd i don't know its in Japanese but has IP in the beginning...In my PAL version it reads AOL in the 1st option...

If the same game disc is rendering different options on seperate consoles, then that would be sufficient proof that the network setup tool is firmware based. I will have to boot this up on my JPN system to confirm.

Starwalker wrote:
Besides the file like I said reads, "To use with online games", not game or online Homeland or something.

Yea but on the Dreamcast and PS2 there are network configuration tools that are disc specific, and can be used for many games. So the plural of the word games wouldn't be a strong lead.
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:11 pm
quote : #7
just wondering if you guys have tried taking the disc out while in the set up.

if its coming off the disc it should tell you to put it back in (go figure), perhaps that message wont be given if its firmware based (i presumes *pulls out pipe)

(can you tell i havnt posted on this part o' the site in a while teehee)