Page Location: Home > PSO Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution > Topic
ced818
rank 4
Posted:
Wed May 02, 2007 10:30 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Well I have a bit to post about this game. Though its short, like its olderbrothers Episode 1&2 the game was oddly addictive (if you a card game player). This game is most frequently bashed amongst the PSO players, from post and reviews I've read in different places. In my oppinion it wasn't that bad because it combinded some of my favorites:

1) PSO
2) Card Game
3) Strategy

This game allowed you to create you own lead characters (Though it sucked that you couldnt actually battle with it), and your own deck made up of Technics, Mags, Equipment Items, and Creature Cards.

Everyone who owns this know this already but how did you actually feel about the playablity of this game? I thought it was a break-a-way from the classic PSO which I love to my hearts content, but you cant say that this game was a dissapointment cause it never was supposed to be like the origional, hints the name, C.A.R.D. Revolution. (though even after playing though the game i can still never remember what 'C.A.R.D.' stood for.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon May 07, 2007 4:24 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
The developers of EP3 stated that when they began development, they wanted to create something original and different. They didn't want to create the same PSO all over again. I really support developers when they make a concious decision to try something new.

So many people complained about Episode 3 because they wanted the same thing again. They wanted more areas and monsters for PSO Episode 1&2. Not only was Episode 3 a change from the hack and slash gameplay of PSO, but it also took more thinking. Obviously the strategy elements serve as a barrier for simple minded people who are unable to adapt to the new gameplay mechanics.

I have a ton of appreciation for this game. When I first played PSO Episode 3, I was blown away. It also opened my eyes to card based games in general. I started collecting all of the card based titles on the GameCube, all because of EP3. I wasn't a big fan of turn based strategy before, but PSO EP3 changed all of that for me.

It is like you stated ced818: "I thought it was a break-a-way from the classic PSO..."

Episode 3 matches the theme of PSO perfectly, and throws in the card based elements. The fact that the game was able to stay "PSO" is very important. Especially considering the fact that later iterations on the PSO formula (Episode IV / PSU) strayed in terms of visual/audio asthetics.
rank 10
Posted:
Wed May 09, 2007 5:02 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
I really like the atmosphere of the game, the fresh new music and the visuals are great, maybe only the voice could be better. The game learning curve is a bit hard in my opinion, but that might be just me, and that could be a reason why people didn’t play much. I also didn’t play much yet unfortunetly…

Though the big problem of the game was that some time after the game was released hacks started to appear and some people had all the cards, making the battles pointless, unless maybe if the persons fighting had all the cards.

lordnikon wrote:
Episode 3 matches the theme of PSO perfectly, and throws in the card based elements. The fact that the game was able to stay "PSO" is very important. Especially considering the fact that later iterations on the PSO formula (Episode IV / PSU) strayed in terms of visual/audio asthetics.

I agree. In my opinion PSO Ep. III has the better visuals and audio than any other PSO version available.
rank 47
Posted:
Wed May 09, 2007 5:10 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea not once online did I ever have the urge to go play against a random person. Too many people had cheated to get all of the cards in the game, or had these really out of control decks like an all slime deck or something. I like to mix it up. I like to play, but use weak cards too. I see no point in restricting myself to "just the cards i need to obliterate the competition". Some people refuse to lose. Ever. Whats the fun in that?

Whenever I was online I played co-op against the CPU. I never played vs against another human opponent. Maybe it was because in PSO you are usually cooperating with other people. However I think most of it had to do with the fact that playing against a Human opponent would result in a salty experience. I had no desire to go up against an insecure 14 year old who is trying to prove himself to anyone and everyone. I am more interested in just having fun.