1, 2  Next
Dalore
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:18 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello everyone!

Just got a BB adaptor for my Cube, so I thought I'll see who else still was out there still playin the little box as much as me! Well I found you guys! So a big hello to you all from the UK!

Can anyone reccommend some games to play online? I was part of the DC online community playing PSO etc all the way up to last year when I sold my DC. I just never got round to getting my cube online.

I was quite sad to see that the PSO servers have been dropped for all consoles, as when I got my BB adaptor I thought 'great now I can play PSO again'! But alas I cannot. So any suggestions would be great!

JKKDARK
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:53 pm
quote : #2
At the moment, the only online games that can be discussed here is Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II and Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus. But you should PM Lordnikon and see if he can give you access to the server.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:03 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hey Dalore welcome to the site. Right now all discussions regarding Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 take place in a private forum area which requires exclusive access.

There are a variety of other topics to discuss here though about the gamecube and it's network functions, as well as the Lounge forum to discuss general GameCube stuff. Even though it isn't online anymore, the Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 forum is of course open for discussions.

I received your email, I will be responding to that shortly.
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:00 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
Hello, welcome Smile . Well it's a shame Nintendo never supported online games for GameCube. Only PSO and a Japanese only title, HomeLand supported online gaming. You can see a list of games with online functions in this section:

http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_gameslist.php

Hope you can have some use with the broadband adaptor someday. Maybe you can have some warp pipe gaming with someone that lives in UK Smile.
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:36 pm
quote : #5
Hey thanks for responding guys, I'm seriously begining to regret selling my DC, who would have thought there would be more online support for it all these years on! SEGA really started something, Nintendo should take heed.

I'm playing around with the possibility of getting another DC, but I think the BBA might be out of the question, bit too many pennies. I will look into sharing my PC's BB, as an alternative.

I have an incentive now as a friend of mine who I gave an original copy of PSO v2 to, has given it back to me, after all theses years! I think he actually only ever went online twice to play me!

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:58 pm
quote : #6
It is an unfortunate situation here at the moment, and I realise this is something I have to address as far as content is concerned. The only real online game here is PSO Episode 1&2 which is locked off in a private area. Which means no other true online games to discuss and play while waiting to gain access to EP1&2 here. This can make things difficult. However there are still a myriad of things you could do with the BBA.

One thing, which I still have to get up, are the Episode 3 download quests. You can transfer the quests over the BBA onto your memory card and get some event only cards like the Famitsu magazine card.

There is of course LAN tunneling. However it would go pretty darn slow. We could try sometime if you wanted just for fun, but remember it will run very very very slow.

There is "connectivity" which doesn't necessarily involve the BBA, but it can expand your GameCube experience via the GBA cable and a GBA.

The other more controversial thing is called Control Sim. This is an experimental application to route games over broadband. I won't get into it much in this thread, but it only works well with 2 primary titles and is a pain to setup. Since I have multiple gamecubes and BBA's at home; the plan is to test this out myself and get up a proper tutorial after that. So I hope to integrate this into the community in the future.
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:49 pm
quote : #7
Quick question, how near do two cubes have to be for sucessful tunneling? I guess I'm asking how far is to far?

lanzarlaluna
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:09 pm
quote : #8
Dalore wrote:
Quick question, how near do two cubes have to be for sucessful tunneling? I guess I'm asking how far is to far?

Preferably in the same room. Laughing

Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:53 pm
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:

The other more controversial thing is called Control Sim. This is an experimental application to route games over broadband. I won't get into it much in this thread, but it only works well with 2 primary titles and is a pain to setup. Since I have multiple gamecubes and BBA's at home; the plan is to test this out myself and get up a proper tutorial after that. So I hope to integrate this into the community in the future.

These would be two already lan/online playable titles right? How is this going?

What would be a decent price to pay for a Gamecube BBA? Theres only one on Ebay and its about £45 buy it now. Are Gamecube BBA's region free?

More questions than normal from me but as far as Nintendo and gamecube go I am pretty much entering this blind. Before all I knew was the list of on line/lan games.

EDIT

Ohh a quick google search on control sim I know a little more Smile will read more later

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:30 pm
quote : #10
Control Sim is flat out not an option. The network code is buggy and outdated. I attempted to get it working in a local environment and I could not get it to work. I believe it only works under the most specific of circumstances. Setting it up is not userfriendly either. Until further notice from me, I wouldn't worry about control sim.

Note that all of the LAN games for the cube are best for just LAN gaming. They tunnel very poorly online because they sync each frame rather than positional data. By very poorly I mean 5 frames per second.

PSO is of course private access.

There is Homeland, however as stated here, you cannot simply boot the game with a Freeloader boot disc if you want to "really" play the game. Until there are some great translation guides up on the site, and you either buy a region modded gamecube or a japanese gamecube, Homeland should be put on the back burner.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:31 am
quote : #11
Thanks for the information.

Anyone any ideas on a good price for the BBA. As I can only see one for sell it hard to compare Confused

HomelandFan
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:12 pm
quote : #12
They are $35 (about £17.5) here on Amazon

gary_b
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:21 pm
quote : #13
HomelandFan wrote:
i just placed an order for mine on amazon. they dropped the price to $23.44 this is for a brand new BBA. its kinda funny how the new one is cheaper than the used ones http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-45496950484-Gamecube-Broadband-Adapter/dp/B0002IMLR0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1? ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1213298343&sr=8-1

Blast
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:23 am
quote : #14
gary_b wrote:
HomelandFan wrote:
i just placed an order for mine on amazon. they dropped the price to $23.44 this is for a brand new BBA. its kinda funny how the new one is cheaper than the used ones http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-45496950484-Gamecube-Broadband-Adapter/dp/B0002IMLR0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1? ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1213298343&sr=8-1

I would consider importing one but no one seems to have an answer on cross region comapatability or not. All ebay auctions are listed as buy at your own risk and Amazon sellers wont import to the UK so I am a bit loathed to do this. Some GC BBA's have now popped up on Ebay.co.uk so I have them all on watch and will have to see what I can pick up

Laters

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:22 am
quote : #15
Blast wrote:
I would consider importing one but no one seems to have an answer on cross region comapatability or not.

http://gamecube.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php