Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
Dalore
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:34 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi there, I've always wondered wether the GBA to GC adaptor supports multi-player games? Forgive my ignorance if anything should be obvious as I don't actually have a GBA or the adaptor, but I was thinking of getting the adaptor in oder to get some more life out of my cube.

I guess my real question should be...

"is it possible to play 2 player via 2 controllers and one cube and 1 GBA game in the adaptor?"

Thanks for any insight!

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:52 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
No Unfortunatly it is not possible to play 2 players via 2 controllers on the GameBoy Player. GBA games wern't designed to handle 2 controller inputs on a single console. However, you can still play multiplayer. You just need to approach it a bit differently.

Lets say you own King of Fighters EX for the GBA and you want to play it against someone on the TV 2 player. To accomplish this you would need the following hardware:

1 GameCube
1 GameBoy Player
1 GameCube controller (Player 1)
1 GameBoy Advance (Player 2)
1 GBA to GBA link cable
2 copies of King of Fighters EX

I have actually tested this out with KOF EX and it works. Now, the only way this can happen on a broad scale is if you play games where all of the action taking place is the same on both screens. If you are looking to play Doom multiplayer this will not work where you can both look at the TV. One person would have to look at the TV, and the other at the GBA.

So the type of games you want to play are things like side scrollers, shmups, puzzle games, and fighting games. Some titles have "game sharing" where you can use 1 cart. Others require that you own 2 copies of the cart to play multiplayer.

If you are really crazy, and want to go all out (crazy like me that is), you can get 2 GameCubes, with 2 GameBoy Players, and play GBA games system linked on 2 full screen TV sets. Here is where Doom would work very well Wink
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:52 am
quote : #3
Hey thanks for the info Nikon Very Happy , I will defo look into it! I will prob get the GBA player anyway, as it will be great to play games like Metroid fusion and F-Zero GP legend on a full size screen.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:11 pm
quote : #4
The other key benifit of the GameBoy Player is that it helps to secure the broadband adaptor in the bottom of the unit so it isn't loose. Smile
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:19 pm
quote : #5
Ahh, I was wondering why my BBA was loose, at least I now know it is a common occurrence.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:27 pm
quote : #6
Yea that is how it fits into every single gamecube Laughing The gameboy player solves all of that, and keeps the BBA locked in place. It becomes unmovable.

The GameCube + BBA + GameBoy Player combo is the perfect setup for the system. I wouldn't have it any other way.
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:28 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
Dalore wrote:
Ahh, I was wondering why my BBA was loose, at least I now know it is a common occurrence.

Really? Mine isn't... Razz . I think I never had problems with BBA beeing loose on PAL GC and Panasonic Q.
rank 47
Posted:
Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:48 am
quote : #8
On a Panasonic Q it stays in very firm.
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:05 pm
quote : #9
So what kind of price is reasonable to pay for the adaptor? I've seen one in my local game for 18 quid, good price? or not?

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:00 pm
quote : #10
I am not sure what quid is in USD $. What I can say is that around $40.00-$50.00 is the standard rate for the GB Player in the US.
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:25 pm
quote : #11
£1 = $2 at the mo' . So its probably cheaper to get one over here. Cool