Page Location: Home > GameCube Lounge > Topic
MasquedWarrior
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:27 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I am deciding which platform I should get this game for.

The GC version sounds good for the passwords. It would be nice to own the game for that platform for the novelty on having a game with internet functions on that system, even one that doesn't use the network connection peripherals, as the Gamecube's selection of currently online games is quite limited. I also want to get it for that platform because Lordnikon once said, "I wanted to get it for gamecube because lets face it....this graphical style looks best on cube." Lordnikon, what exactly did you mean by this? How is the Gamecube's ATI Flipper better suited for the job than, say the PS2's Graphics Synthesiser? Or the XBox's nVidia NV2A chip? Does anyone else agree with nikon on this? There is a version of this game for Windows, meaning that Ubisoft would've had to optimize that version for compatibility, but was the game originally developed to be optimized for performance on any single set of hardware?

How good is the gamecube version in terms of performance and framerate? Are there any other differences between the four different versions that I should know about?

Last edited by MasquedWarrior on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

elph
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:03 pm
quote : #2
I've only played the Gamecube version, but I have to say: It was amazing.

Graphics: The Gamecube graphic look really nice. The only flaw I remember people (including me) pointing out is that the snapshots you take in game look kind of messed up. Most people maintain that the PC version is the best graphically because it'll do 1280x1024.

Controls: I've heard that the PS2 controls aren't quite as responsive as the cube. I personally thought the Gamecube controller was absolutely perfect for this game, and that the controls couldn't have been much better.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:46 pm
quote : #3
The reason why a game like this is best suited for the GameCube, is that the cube has the best anti-aliasing of the 3 consoles, and it has high color saturation. Unfortunatly the xbox does not render graphics with the same color intensity, and its blacks are not 100% black, but a very very dark gray. Similar to having a PC hooked up to your TV via S-Video. Beyond Good and Evil on the GameCube is going to look much more rich and vibrant.

You could really get the game on any platofrm, its just that the GameCube version will have subtle perks due to the way the cube renders graphics.

This game really does look stunning on the GameCube, and I remember IGN specifically citing this on their site during their yearly awards. I believe it was a best graphics award for GameCube and Beyond Good & Evil was one of them.
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:53 pm
quote : #4
Thank both of you for being so helpful. I think I will get the gamecube version of this game.

By the way, the Gamecube version doesn't support progressive scan, does it? All sources I've read say it doesn't. If it doesn't, I guess that's too bad. (Then again, I don't have a TV set that is capable of progressive scan, so it doesn't affect me too much.)

elph
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:51 am
quote : #5
According to this Beyond Good & Evil can be forced to do progressive, if you have the means (GCOS via any method or a qoob mod chip).

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:28 am
quote : #6
MasquedWarrior wrote:
Thank both of you for being so helpful. I think I will get the gamecube version of this game.

By the way, the Gamecube version doesn't support progressive scan, does it? All sources I've read say it doesn't. If it doesn't, I guess that's too bad. (Then again, I don't have a TV set that is capable of progressive scan, so it doesn't affect me too much.)

If you have S-Video you are good to go. This game looks stunning on S-Video. The leap from S-Video to Progressive is not really as noticable as the leap from Composite(Yellow Cable) to S-Video.