Page 1 of 1
lozz
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:46 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello is anyone out there Very Happy ?
The last thing I could ever see me buying was a gamecube.
However a good deal is a good deal.

My local Gamestation has many leftover brand new Gamecube "paks" as it says on the front.
Maybe it should be spelt pack Rolling Eyes

Anyway £25 for a brand new Gamecube and a game.
I snapped it up and got myself a platinum gamecube with Mario Kart Double Dash.

I've been doing a little research into what few games i am going to buy for it.
Unlike my other consoles i wish to keep spending down and buy probably only 5 - 10 games.

I am after an RPG with a good story which i can get whisked away into,
the obvious choice is Zelda, however i wouldn't mind a more traditional RPG rather than a hack and slash type.
I've been looking at Tales of Symphonia, it has good reviews and many reccommend it.

I am also torn between weather to buy Metroid or Metroid 2?
Or Both?
I suppose what i want to know is would it be beneficial to play Metroid Prime and then play MP2?
Does two continue the story MP1?

Anyway apart from that i will most likely buy a wavebird and thats about it.

If soem of you could share your nintendo pearls of wisdom with me
it would be much appreciated.

thanks, lozz.

MasquedWarrior
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:21 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I don't remember for sure, but I think I heard that Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is a direct sequel the original, so it would probably be better to play them in order. (Regardless, I think it's best to play games in the order in which they were made if you can.)

As for the RPG part, I don't know what to say because I'm not sure what exactly you define as "traditional." (Then again, perhaps it doesn't matter, as I've barely played any RPGs for the Gamecuve.) Do you simply mean menu based, or must it be turn-taking in nature, without real-time elements? Perhaps you mean something else entirely. Baten Kaitos is turn-taking, but you have a limited amount of time to make your moves during each turn, and it uses cards. I've heard Evolution: Worlds described as being "traditional," but I haven't played it myselt, and I'm not sure whether or not it was released in Europe.

Other than that, I haven't played Viewtiful Joe or Chaos Field that much yet, but so far, they're both rather good, even though the GC version of CF is supposedly inferior to the Dreamcast version.

lordnikon
rank 47
Posted:
Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:59 pm
quote : #3
lozz wrote:
I am also torn between weather to buy Metroid or Metroid 2?
Or Both?
I suppose what i want to know is would it be beneficial to play Metroid Prime and then play MP2?
Does two continue the story MP1?

1.) Buy both of these games
2.) Play Metroid Prime 1 first, and then play Metroid Prime 2. It is important to play them in order!
3.) Make sure you have a normal wired controller so you have rumble (you lose this on the wavebird)
4.) Don't look up any information on these games. I beg of you. It is good to go into these games knowing as little about them as possible. So everything is a suprise!
5.) Close your door with a door not disturb sign up, power off the lights, make sure you clean your screen from dust, and either wear good headphones, or make sure you have a good sound system going.
6.) Then immerse yourself in 2 of the most amazing games every created.
7.) Finally, if you can't figured something out don't use a strategy guide as a crutch. Sleep on it, and come back a few days later and try again.

These games are some of the most immersive, atmospheric game experiences ever made. The only thing seperating you from this other world, is the glass on your TV. Its like your television is a portal into another universe. Also, when you play this game for the first time, realise it is not design to be played like a normal FPS. It has a very specific control scheme, and it is that way for a reason. The lock-on functionality is not a crutch, but instead a way to pivot off of enemies and world objects. Being able to lock your camera into position is key for platforming in this game.

Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are some of my personal favorite games of all time. I have played through them 2 times each on Normal and Hard difficulty level, and I am about to start playing through the Japanese versions on Normal and Hard difficulty level each. Then I am going to go through and attempt to get 100% creature scans.

Note: lozz if you have more new questions about the gamecube, please create new topics for them outside of this thread. lets keep this discussion focused only on the questions you asked in your original post.
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:35 am
quote : #4
If you're interested at all in Metroid Prime, then I strongly suggest you check out Beyond Good and Evil. It's another game that can really suck you in, if you let it. Lordnikon's advice about how to go about immersing yourself iin the game is certainly applicable.